Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Outlook Express .WAB file location

by chmoore / January 11, 2006 6:16 AM PST

I want to relocate the Outlook Express address book .WAB file to a location of my choosing. I have done this on my desktops and now want to do it on my notebook but I can't remember how to get the address book to look for teh file where I want it located.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express .WAB file location
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express .WAB file location
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Search for *.wab.
by Coryphaeus / January 11, 2006 9:40 PM PST
Collapse -
Address book .WAB file location
by chmoore / January 12, 2006 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Search for *.wab.

Something went wrong. There is nothing in the message I received.

Collapse -
What message?
by Coryphaeus / January 12, 2006 2:26 AM PST

If you're talking about the message body in my reply, there was no text. Just the header for you to search for *.wab. Mine are listed in My Documents folders, yours will be too, burried deep.

When you see a message header/title with (NT) in front, that means there is no message in the body. Just a way for someone to give you information without typing anything else.

Wayne

Collapse -
Address book .WAB file relocation
by chmoore / January 13, 2006 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: What message?

You missed the point of my question. I can find the .WAB file with no problem. I want to relocate it and modify the Address Book to find the file in teh new location. How do I do that?

Collapse -
Oh. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 13, 2006 4:28 AM PST

Don't know. Since it's embedded into OE a regestry edit would probably be necessary.

Just a gut feeling tells me that you could create large problems, or even make OE unusable.

Sorry.

Collapse -
.WAB file location
by chmoore / January 13, 2006 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: Oh. . .

Thanks anyway.

I have relocated the .WAB file on the two Win 2000 Pro desktop machines I case for based on an article in either PC Mag or PC World. They are happily located on my D drive which is the one I back up frequently. OE finds and uses them.

I'm getting old and cannot remember how to redirect OE to the new location. ACn't find the article either.

Oh, well!

C. Moore

Collapse -
.WAB file location
by chmoore / January 13, 2006 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: .WAB file location

Hey, success!

Went to Windows help and asked the Microsoft chat. Someone directed me to a back up article that showed how to do it.

You were right, it involves editing the registry.

C. Moore

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Be sure to back up the registry first.
by Coryphaeus / January 14, 2006 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: .WAB file location
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.