Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Outlook Express running really slow and sluggish

by Ms.Gadgettes / September 3, 2007 3:36 PM PDT

I have an HP desktop computer that is about a year old. For about 10 months now my Outlook Express has been running really slow. For example, takes around 6 seconds to open or delete e-mail and 30 seconds to change folders, also really slow to open, etc.

I've been reading online, doing research, chatting with HP techs and talking with my computer guy and have not had much luck.

So far I have:

*Moved my folders in OE from the inbox to Local Folders
*Created subfolders to place those folders in, ie Files a-d
*Ran an SFC scan
*Uninstalled and reinstalled using Windows Components section
*Reregistered OE in Internet Explorer
*Checked for three corrupted files listed in article
*Removed spyware and adware
*Compacted wasted space and freed up disk space in OE
*Deleted temporary itnernet files (including offline files)
*Compacted OE folders
*Reregistered libraries
*Created a new account and imported all data
*Checked for for damaged .dbx files

So after trying all of this I have noticed a very slight improvement in the speed. But still, when trying to be efficient it really slows me down.

So I decided to try and do some experimenting on my own tonight. I created a new account (in case I did something wrong I would ruin my main identity) After that I imported all of my Pop3 settings. At this point everything is running fast and smooth. So I then began to import the folders for OE. I started by importing the main folders, i.e. Inbox, Deleted, Sent, Outbox, etc. I checked again and OE was still running perfectly. So I started to add a few of my folders at a time, it was still working great until I started adding more at a time, by the time I was through the m's it was working very sluggish and slow again.

I have quite a few folders that I use to store e-mails. I don't know exactly how many, but I would estimate around 400 or so, but they are, for the most part, empty now, with maybe 50 emails total, more than likely much more... So to me is sounds like the problem is that I have so many folders in OE.

What is weird, however, if that I have been using OE for years now and done the exact same thing. I have noticed that as I get closer to replacing my computer (when I have more files) OE does start to run a little slower, but never like this. I find it especially interesting though because of not having any emails in the folders.

So now I need to figure out what my next step is going to be. If at all possible I would like to keep OE. I've used it for years, am comfortable with it, etc. So if I can I don't want to switch... Is there anything else I can try to speed OE up, or is it pretty much a lost cause?

I was told that I should consider Outlook. Would switching to Outlook allow me to have all my folders but still have a program that is working fast? Or will I just have the same issues.

If I need to add any more details about anything, just let me know and I can take care of it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express running really slow and sluggish
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express running really slow and sluggish
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ms.Gadgettes
by tomron / September 3, 2007 4:01 PM PDT

Your AV should be set to check the program files,not all of the files.

Maybe this LINK will help.

Tom

Collapse -
In addition
by tomron / September 3, 2007 4:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
I think if I were you I would do this
by tallin / September 3, 2007 5:04 PM PDT

Firstly it is not often that someone researches their problem like you have.

I would backup your OE with the following program.

http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

Then I would download and install Thunderbird from the following site and import OE into Thunderbird. The resemblance of the software is amazing.

http://en.www.mozilla.com/en/thunderbird/

See what you think and if you need further help post back please.

Collapse -
I will give these a shot
by Ms.Gadgettes / September 3, 2007 11:59 PM PDT

I will read over those links and see what happens... The only thing, I'm not real comfortable working in the registry, so I may to try the other options first.

I've been reading about Thunderbird, but I don't know if that is an option. Because I use my e-mail for work, I have to use the programs they tell us to use. I can use Outlook Express or Outlook... If I find that I can't get the problem fixed, I will see if they will allow me to use Thunderbird.

Thanks so much!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.