Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Outlook express! mail disappeared

by robert-scamp / November 5, 2005 6:13 PM PST

mail disappeared
Last week all my mail from outlook express inbox disappeared. Poof. Right in front of me. Gone. Everything else stayed. I'm on Win Me.
I went to "C:\WINDOWS\ApplicationData\Identities\{639E36E0-973F-4619-B114-1A22F4F9B3AC}\Microsoft\Outlook Express" but I don't know how to retrieve anything from there except txt files. In the above site I have a file "inbox.dbx" and it shows over 98 mgs on it.
I have tried dbxtract but all it retrieves is txt files. I have also tried to import that mail file to my inbox, and have tried copy and paste. No luck. Is there any other way to access these dbx files?
thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook express! mail disappeared
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook express! mail disappeared
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you running McAfee VirusScan?
by Blue_Zee / November 5, 2005 6:57 PM PST
Collapse -
mail
by robert-scamp / November 5, 2005 9:00 PM PST

No. I'm using symantic. I went to McAfee site and downloaded dbxtract.exe and used it. It ran all night, but only recovers txt files. I didn't have any problems when I was using netscape to transfer mail files in the Netscape folder. I use to back up my mail and could transfer at will. But Outlook won't let me do it. If I could just access those dbx files to somehow transfer them back to my running inbox I would be home free.
There's 98mgs of stuff in there. Surely there must be some way to get to them.
thanks,
r

Collapse -
If your OE Inbox is 98 Mb ...
by Kees Bakker / November 5, 2005 7:11 PM PST

it's time to do File>Folder>Compact all folders.

Kees

Collapse -
inbox
by robert-scamp / November 5, 2005 9:10 PM PST

Space is not a problem. I have over 400 mgs in my deleated folder as well. Once I get this problem out of the way, I will compact. What I need now is to learn how to acess these files. Netscape was never a problem, but with MS, although it has saved something in those folders it wont let me in. Are there any programs out that will let me get inside? Any help will be most appreciated.
Thanks,
r

Collapse -
Let's check that view.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2005 10:22 PM PST

In outlook (all versions) if you change the View to view unread, all the content appears to vanish.

You didn't tell what view you are using.

Bob

Collapse -
View
by robert-scamp / November 6, 2005 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: Let's check that view.

The view is to all messages.
r

Collapse -
Let's check that login.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2005 1:19 AM PST

Let's boot Windows ME and on the login tap escape. I find the OLEXP content vanishes.

Reboot and login as the user that had the email and the email reappears.

-> I wonder...

Bob

Collapse -
login
by robert-scamp / November 7, 2005 6:59 PM PST

my mail is just fine now and it was fine immediately after losing my inbox. Outlook carried on as though nothing happened. Everything is and was back to normal except for the loss of my mail. I was thinking of installing firefox or netscape and try to import those dbx files. Surely there must be someway to open these. In my deleated folder there is over 400 mgs of "something" in there. I have never intended to keep all that deleated material, but that is where it goes when I deleate it from my outlook. Can I just go in and deleate the folder and will an empty "deleated" folder come back uP?
thanks.
r

Collapse -
What many never do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 7:57 PM PST
In reply to: login

Backup.

Type OLEXP BACKUP into google.com to find out how.

We only lose what we didn't backup.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Here's how to fix it
by TONI H / November 7, 2005 11:16 PM PST

First open OE...go to Tools/Options/Advanced (or Maintenance). Put a check mark in "empty deleted upon exit". That will get rid of the 400MGs you have in that Deleted Items.DBX file completely once you close down OE. So now click Apply, OK, and close OE.

Now create a new folder on your desktop and call it OLDMAIL.

Now go to Search and type in *.dbx for the file name area, click Advanced Search, and put a check mark in 'look in hidden, system, and subfolders'. Now click Search Now/Find Now.

Once all the .dbx files show up, click Edit, click Select All, so they are all highlighted, and right click and drag them to the new folder you created on the desktop, and choose COPY HERE.

Once the copy is done, open OE again, go to File, Import, Messages, Mail and use the browse button to get to the new folder on your desktop and click it open, click OK.

All your mail will come back into view immediately.

The reason you couldn't import it before was because you can't import mail that is located in the same folder as the destination you want to bring it to as OE believes it's already there and will ignore you.

Once you put the files somewhere else, it will treat it all as good stuff to bring in.

TONI

Collapse -
Lost messages found.
by robert-scamp / November 10, 2005 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: Here's how to fix it

Thank you and the rest for all your help. Once I followed your instructions, all my mail came back. I have always used those files as a back up. Every so often I would just copy them to a cd and file it. I never have had to go into them. Why I save them I do not know. I just do. Once I saved them I would delete those files from the windows directory and over time fill them up again. In the mean time, my OE is always kept clean with minimum of files. If by some one in a five million chance I will ever open up any of those cd's I have saved, I now know how to do it and of course, find any more missing files.
Thanks again.
robert-scamp

Collapse -
OE backups on cd's
by TONI H / November 11, 2005 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Lost messages found.

won't be found as a viable source to import from....you will still have to copy them to a temp folder on your desktop first and then import from that location instead.

TONI

Collapse -
Inbox gone!
by olivejane / August 6, 2009 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's how to fix it

Hi,

Yesterday I went into Outlook Express and my inbox was gone.
I went to this forum and found some useful advice;

"First open OE...go to Tools/Options/Advanced (or Maintenance). Put a check mark in "empty deleted upon exit". That will get rid of the 400MGs you have in that Deleted Items.DBX file completely once you close down OE. So now click Apply, OK, and close OE.

Now create a new folder on your desktop and call it OLDMAIL.

Now go to Search and type in *.dbx for the file name area, click Advanced Search, and put a check mark in 'look in hidden, system, and subfolders'. Now click Search Now/Find Now.

Once all the .dbx files show up, click Edit, click Select All, so they are all highlighted, and right click and drag them to the new folder you created on the desktop, and choose COPY HERE.

Once the copy is done, open OE again, go to File, Import, Messages, Mail and use the browse button to get to the new folder on your desktop and click it open, click OK.

All your mail will come back into view immediately.

The reason you couldn't import it before was because you can't import mail that is located in the same folder as the destination you want to bring it to as OE believes it's already there and will ignore you.

Once you put the files somewhere else, it will treat it all as good stuff to bring in."

TONI

Now I had gotten up to "File, Import, Messages, Mail and use the browse button to get to the new folder on your desktop and click it open, click OK." However, after i went to 'Messages' there was a list of programs to choose to import from. I should have chose 'Outlook Express 4' to get to the browse button, but clicked on just 'outlook express which didn't give me that option.
Frustrated as i was, I went to the folder i created 'OLDMAIL' with the inbox dbx files, right clicked on a file and went to 'open with' and clicked on 'Outlook Express' thinking that i would then be able to access them.

When I finally realised that I'd selected the wrong 'import from' program in the earlier step, all the inbox dbx files had the 'outlook express' logo on them so now it wont open them at all.

What can i do?

Collapse -
Outlook Express 6 inbox contents diappeared
by dongeek / January 25, 2010 2:39 AM PST

Same thing happened to me. Here's what to do.
1. Create a new profile in Outlook Express.
a) Go to FILE / Identities / Add new identity
b) Follow the prompts, but you don't need to actually type in the imap settings or anything technical. The goal is just to get a folder in the folder. For purpoes of instructions, let's say you called the new identity BOB.
2. Go to START / Explore / HP Administrator (or whatever identity you're using) / Local Settings / Application Data / Identities / - you will then see two long folder names - mine is {D190EE07-1887-4595-8F62-6253114299D2}
3. Doubleclick on one of the folders and keep doubleclicking on the folders that appear until you see a bunch of files ending with ".dbx." You will be doing the same thing for the other folder.
4. In one of the folders, "inbox.dbx" will be a big file reflecting lots in it. In the other, "inbox.dbx" will be small, because it's a new identity and there's no e-mail in its inbox yet.
5. Copy the big inbox.dbx file (don't move it - copy it) to your desktop.
6. Now copy that big inbox.dbx file into the folder that had the small inbox.dbx file.
7. Now get into Outlook Express and click on FILE / Import / Messages
8. You'll be asked to pick your version of OE. I have Outlook Express 6.
8. You will see two identities listed - MAIN IDENTITY and the other one. In these instructions I said let's use BOB. So click on BOB, or whatever you called the other identity.
9. Click OK. Browse. When you get to the place where you see inbox.dbx, click on it and go ahead and import. (If you have local folders in your e-mail, such as 'vacation' and 'warranties,' and 'family,' etc., you are in the wrong folder. You didn't pick the correct identify.
10. Presuming you were in the correct identity - the only you created for just this purpose, your old e-mail should be back.

Hope this works for you.

Collapse -
Outlook Express 6 inbox contents diappeared
by greenjeff / March 27, 2011 2:29 PM PDT

Hello dongeek,

I have the same problem. OE6 had been slow on down loading from server and would only down load 1 or 2 messages at a time then give me an error It cannot connect to the server. I may have maxed out the inbox. All messages dissappeared from Inbox.I now have an empty inbox file and one with almost 2G inbox file.

I have tried all of the items listed above. I cannot import message I get this error
"No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required filles open. Please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open"

I am runing XP & outlook express 6

Thank you in advance for any help.

Jeff

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.