Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Outlook Express - how do I reinstall it?

by nilocp / July 17, 2010 7:04 AM PDT

I am running Windows XP and have issues with Outlook Express. I decided I would use Outlook instead, and tried to import all the date from OE. Well that did not work, and I have now lost my address book!!! I do have another machine with it on.

I have now had a message when I try and run OE saying it is corrupted and I should reinstall.
So how do I do that, and keep all my emails?

Also what is the name of the address book file so I can get it off my other machine?

Many thanks for your help.

CP

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express - how do I reinstall it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express - how do I reinstall it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Outlook Express to Outlook.
by natheersheriff / July 17, 2010 5:14 PM PDT

you don't need to reinstall it.rather repair it. for further information visit following Microsoft link

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/oerepair.mspx

for the migration from OE to outlook or to drag address information to Outlook.....

you can search for *.wab file if you don't install outlook and keep it for further use. or
use "Import and Export" tool from Outlook. select import from another program and Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x .

Regards
Natheer Sheriff (Akkaraipattu)

Collapse -
by nilocp / July 17, 2010 9:47 PM PDT

Thanks for the link. I followed it, and it did not repair!! Also Outlook is screwed as well!

Any other sugestions on how to reinstall?

CP

Collapse -
Re: reinstalling Outlook Express
by Kees Bakker / July 17, 2010 10:09 PM PDT

That's difficult, because it came with XP and with IE6, not as a separate download and not as with IE7 and IE8.

So please tell more about:
- your original issues with Outlook Express
- how you did try to import all your data (settings, mail, address book) from Outlook Express to Outlook
- how you managed to delete your address book while importing it (importing is a read-only operation on the source)
- the exact message Outlook Express now gives when you try to run it
- if you've got any idea what you changed in Outlook Express or its data when importing the data in Outlook (as I said, importing the data is read-only for the data and doesn't touch the program in any way)
- what your current issues with Outlook are (mentioned in post #3)
- if Outlook used to work before you messed around with it

Then download Thunderbird (another free email program) from http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/, install it and see what it does. If it works, forget about Outlook Express. If it doesn't work, something more basic is wrong with your PC.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
Thunderbird
by nilocp / July 18, 2010 3:04 AM PDT

I have given up with Outlook Express and Outlook for now, as I have no time to resolve the issues and as I have installed Thunderbird and everything seems good!

Except I still have no address book, as I have lost it.

What is the name of the address book file, as I have it on my back up computer.
When I have found it, where do I put it please?

Colin

Collapse -
Re: address book
by Kees Bakker / July 18, 2010 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Thunderbird

Search for *.wab in your Documents and Settings and you'll find it. Put it in the same place and see if Thunderbird will let you import or use it.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.