Windows 7

General discussion

Outlook express doesn't work with windows 7 -

by augusto bonilla / August 29, 2009 2:49 AM PDT

Suggestions to get my mail in my hard disk

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook express doesn't work with windows 7 -
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook express doesn't work with windows 7 -
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows Mail
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 29, 2009 5:06 AM PDT

Outlook Express was removed from Vista, and replaced with Windows Mail. Windows 7 users will have Windows Mail pre-installed I should think. (I can't check, I'm on my Vista install at the moment).

Mark

Collapse -
Window 7 Outlook Express
by bozer3 / August 29, 2009 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Mail

Has anyone sucessfully installed Outlook Express on Windows 7? I have 10 years of email in that format and don't wish to lose it. Any other suggestions? Live Mail not acceptable.

Collapse -
I doubt it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 29, 2009 7:32 PM PDT

Outlook Express was an integral part, component, of Internet Explorer, but Microsoft unbundled it when IE7 was introduced.

Outlook Express will not be available for Windows 7, and OE cannot be downloaded as a separate utility. There's more information here;
http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tips/internet/outlook_express_new_version.php

I assume you have already tried Windows Live Mail since you say it is not acceptable for you. I am not sure what else is possible. Windows 7 will have the feature of being able to run Windows XP in a virtual setting, but as I understand it, you would need a Windows XP Mode installer. I assume you would be able to run OE from within the virtual XP, but I don't know for sure.

Outlook Express emails can be imported into Windows Live Mail;
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/53e5df86-5ffb-43cf-a0c8-164e3fe7994f1033.mspx

Mark

Collapse -
Re: mail
by Kees Bakker / August 29, 2009 7:37 PM PDT

If Windows Live Mail client (which isn't webmail, by the way, just local files with pop3) really isn't acceptable (but you don't tell why) and OE is not available on Windows 7 your options are:
1. Stay with XP, don't migrate to Windows 7.
2. Find another email client (such as Thunderbird) that works with Windows 7
3. Run XP in a virtual machine on your Windows 7 (it comes integrated in the business versions, but that won't work on all machines) as suggested by Mark already.

Kees

Collapse -
Has anyone sucessfully installed Outlook Express on Windows
by lch41 / September 4, 2009 10:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Windows 7 e-mail problem
by _Wayne_ / November 23, 2009 1:34 AM PST

To "solve" the missing Windows 7 email client software, Check Out Microsoft

Collapse -
Problem with betas and email is
by orlbuckeye / November 24, 2009 4:34 AM PST

they expire. Outlook comes with about every version of Office. Outllok is like Outlook Express on steroids and it has much more fuunctionality

Collapse -
As far as I know ...
by Kees Bakker / August 29, 2009 5:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Ahh, I knew there was a catch! Thanks Kees.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 29, 2009 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: As far as I know ...
Collapse -
Maybe we can become friends again now?
by Kees Bakker / August 29, 2009 5:16 AM PDT
Wink
Collapse -
Ohh... OK!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 29, 2009 5:17 AM PDT

I was just looking after my own skin! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Windows 7 doesn't come with
by orlbuckeye / September 4, 2009 9:10 PM PDT
In reply to: As far as I know ...

Windows Live Mail either. It has to be downloaded. The difference between Outlook Express and Live Mail is that live mail allows you to set up mail with a pop server and web mail account.

Collapse -
Outlook Express on my new computer - Dell Inspiron 546
by trishsmith1945 / October 28, 2009 9:52 AM PDT

I would like to know how to get my Outlook Express onto my new computer. I have Windows Seven. I will receive it tomorrow(10/29/09) and will need to hook everything up.

Please advise.

Thanks,
trishsmith1945

Collapse -
mail
by zmatt / November 23, 2009 8:34 AM PST

Sorry 7 does not support outlook, I suggest you open a windows live account. outlook has basically been abandoned by Microsoft.
soon everything will be in the cloud.

Collapse -
Actually Windows 7 does support Outlook.
by _Wayne_ / November 24, 2009 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: mail

See my post # 7.

Collapse -
Outlook
by mistee2 / June 29, 2010 7:05 PM PDT

Hi,
I have put my Outlook email account on a Web Mail Account.
I get all my O/L emails through them. I use Orange Web Mail.
It works.
mistee2

Collapse -
O.E
by seenodeer65 / August 27, 2010 6:03 AM PDT

I wish they would leave everything in your computer on your computer, and when they make newer ones all that good stuff we have grown to love will still be there.

Collapse -
Your statement is incorrect
by jwimmer / August 20, 2011 12:24 AM PDT

Your statement that Windows 7 doesn't support Outlook is incorrect. It supports Outlook very well, what it does NOT support is Outlook Express.

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail
by TaraS_WinTeam / November 24, 2009 1:09 AM PST
Collapse -
Outlook Express has a buit-in HTML source editor
by GailHard / July 30, 2010 2:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Live Mail

One of Outlook Express main advantages, is that is has a built-in HTML source editor. This is a very useful feature, especially when you cut and paste parts of web pages into your outgoing e-mail. (You see it when you write a new message - it's the second tab on the bottom).

Does MS Live Mail have this feature?

Collapse -
No it doesn't
by seenodeer65 / August 27, 2010 6:19 AM PDT

I don't think any email program comes close to O.E
I miss mine.

Collapse -
outlook express gone
by jim19525 / December 26, 2010 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: No it doesn't

what I have found when seeking a solution is that no one seems to understand that with Thunderbird, Windows Live and etc.. all the identities are open all the time.. I don't want all my wife's e-mail coming into my mail account and I don't want my alternate e-mail addy stuff coming there either.. Express allowed you (forced you) to choose which identity that you wanted.. The only thing that I haven't done is to create alternate Windows log-ins for each identity and then log-off from each.. I know that it seems like a ridiculous solution but it's either that or trying to re-format my hard drive back to XP.. Seems very silly for Microsoft to fix something that wasn't broken..

Collapse -
They broke it years ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2010 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: outlook express gone

The concept of identities was a bad one. It's a shame it ever happened in the first place.

Since each user can have their own account, the identities issue was cured before OE needed to create this problem.

-> I find many are unwilling to use the solution that was there over a decade ago?
Bob

Collapse -
outlook express gone
by jim19525 / December 26, 2010 10:13 AM PST

and the solution is ???

I'm dying to know, for now I have ended up with one account on Outlook, one on Thunderbird and one on Live Mail..

Collapse -
Here it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2010 11:26 AM PST
In reply to: outlook express gone

Provide a Windows account for each user. It's rather simple and works great.
Bob

Collapse -
OE gone
by jim19525 / December 26, 2010 8:06 PM PST
In reply to: Here it is.

I thought about that but then I have to close everything that I have running to switch to the other user(s)..

no "easy" solution except to have my wife use webmail when we're on the road and she needs to check e-mail..

Collapse -
No need to close things when switching users.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2010 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: OE gone

Sorry but I've never had to close things to switch users. Yes, as a practice I keep any app I can closed since I like a zippy machine.
Bob

Collapse -
WHY, oh WHY ?????
by heathergs / September 22, 2010 4:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Live Mail

As someone who has been wrestling with the unknowns and unfathomables of both Windows 7 and Windows Live for over a week, helped unsuccessfully by Bigpond tech help,2 computer service guys, and the salesman who plunged my comfortable XP/ Outlook Express world into chaos,(THEN told me of the problems and pitfalls HE had discovered)I am asking the question that seems many others are asking as well...WHY has Microsoft tampered so badly with what has been a successful experience for so many? (I know my Mac-using son will be saying,"I told you so!!!"

Collapse -
An Alternate Way to Run OE6 Under Win7
by nikki605 / September 24, 2010 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: WHY, oh WHY ?????

Knowing that OE was going away, I installed Windows Live Mail (WLM) on my WinXP desktop system back in the beginning of the year. It is surprisingly similar to OE. I've gotten used to it.

As far as running OE in Win7, well, you can... sort of. Some of you may not consider this a way or method, but see it rather as a workaround. Either way, it works.

Install Microsoft's Virtual PC - XP Mode from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

I have it installed in my new Win7 Pro x64 laptop. It installs with IE6 and OE6. I actually have a couple WinXP programs installed in it & it works fine. You can create a shortcut to OE6 that you can place on your Win7 Desktop or Taskbar which will start OE6 directly from Win7 as just another window without having to start Virtual PC each time.

If you try it, be sure to read all the system requirement information on the virtual PC webpage to make sure your hardware will support it. Next, scroll down this support webpage to the 4 "Support videos." Take the time to watch the first three.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/default.aspx

They never tell you that XP Mode comes with IE6 & OE6, but if you read between the lines, it does, because this is a full blown version of WinXP Pro you will be installing and WinXP comes with IE & OE. Also, by having a valid Win7 license, this gives you a license to Virtual PC - XP Mode. You don't need your own WinXP license to install & run it.

It installs at an SP3 level, so you should install all the later WinXP critical updates. Since you will be pulling down email from the internet, you may also want to consider a firewall & antivirus product. I just turned on the Windows Firewall and installed Microsoft Security Essentials, both of which are free.

I stayed with WLM because I had already gotten used to it. But I could have switched back to OE6 if I really wanted to.

Collapse -
Shortcut to Windows 7 from XP virtual
by Nannod1 / October 2, 2010 11:34 AM PDT

Hi nikk605, Can you plese tell me how to get the shortcut from Windows XP Virtual machine onto the Windows 7 desktop? I've run out of things I know how to try and can't seem to get it. Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.