Office & Productivity Software forum

Resolved Question

Outlook Express Address Book Reinstall

by greatscott64 / November 14, 2011 1:37 AM PST

Recvd msg that address book is damaged and "need to reinstall". Searched all MS support docs and tried everything they suggested including 3 pgs on instructions on how to manually uninstall and reinstall but no luck. windows XP with ms office installed on this machine. any ideas on how to repair the address book or do a full and clean reinstall of outlook express? (also, when attempting the instructions from microsoft they told me to delete certain files in c:\Program Files\Outlook Express\ but as soon as I did the files re-appeared. This also happened with a few of the .dll files they said to delete from another location). Thanks for your help.

greatscott64 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express Address Book Reinstall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express Address Book Reinstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by greatscott64

Collapse -
Re :address book
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 3:23 AM PST

The address book is a file called username.wab (the part before the dot is your username), if I remember correctly. Searching in your Documents & Settings for *.wab will certainly find it.

If you didn't make a backup of it, I'm afraid you lost the contents. Which prompts the question: why didn't you make a backup?
But you can try to have a look in Notepad to see if what you see makes sense to you.

Kees

Collapse -
do not need or care about contents of address book
by greatscott64 / November 14, 2011 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re :address book

we do not need or care about the contents of the address book. we simply want to repair OE with a working address book so that the application works...

Collapse -
Re: address book.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 5:12 AM PST

What happens if you delete it? My guess: Outlook Express will create a new uncorrupted empty one, as it does in every new Windows account it runs in the first time it runs.

Kees

Collapse -
tried everything... no luck
by greatscott64 / November 14, 2011 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Re: address book.

tried that. deleted every WAB file I could find in every user account. no luck. tried deleting Outlook itself from the machine as someone suggested that it used to (Outlook 2000) cause a conflict (this machine was running 2007). tried everything on every microsoft knowledgebase link that we could find. no luck.

Collapse -
Re: Outlook
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 4:41 PM PST

That's strange. In your original post you mentioned Outlook Express. The latest version is 6.0 (and came with IE6). Now you mention 2000 and 2007 which are versions of totally different program (MS Outlook, part of MS Office).

So please tell all details of your issue in stead of confusing program names and non-verbatim messages.

Kees

Collapse -
Resolved - Thanks!
by greatscott64 / November 14, 2011 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Outlook

We resolved the problem by simply giving up on the Outlook Express WAB file. We are using the Outlook (Office 2007) address book feature and all is working fine.

Collapse -
Don't forget ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 15, 2011 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Resolved - Thanks!
Collapse -
Answer
As far as I remember
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 3:16 AM PST

I'm not on my XP system at present but as far as I remember Outlook Express and the Address Book are both installed/uninstalled via "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel. They are both XP Components and the files are already located within the OS. Uninstalling doesn't really uninstall OE or the Address Book, it just hides them, but I am guessing any emails in OE or data in the Address Book are lost when uninstalled.

So if you are ready to lose your existing emails and account details, and also your Address Book, head over to the Control Panel, then Add/Remove Programs. Then find the Add/Remove Windows Components in the left hand column and select that. What for the details to populate, then find both Outlook Express and the Address Book, remove the ticks and Apply/OK your way out.

I would reboot the computer afterwards.

Then if you want them back, reverse that procedure.

Mark

Collapse -
thanks for trying but need more help than that...
by greatscott64 / November 14, 2011 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: As far as I remember

we were aware of all that you said and had already tried all of that, but thanks anyway for your response.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.