Computer Help forum

General discussion

Outlook Express 6 message display problem

by sen / October 17, 2006 11:10 PM PDT

My Outlook Express 6 has stopped displaying the message body in HTML, either in the preview pane or when the message is opened. It is downloading messages just fine, but I can't read them. I have checked the synchronization settings and set it to All Messages. If I go to Tools>Options>Read and check ''Read all messages in plain text'', the messages show both a plain text attachment as well as an HTML attachment. If I open these, I can then read the message. What's wrong? Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express 6 message display problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express 6 message display problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unsafe Mail ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 18, 2006 3:07 AM PDT

First, it's not a good idea to use the Preview Pane. It's one of the ways a number of viruses are able to activate automatically without you opening an attachment.. It's your choice but it's best to turn off the Preview Pane.

Next, reading in "Plain Text" is also safer and the preferred way to read the mail...but if you must use HTML and you're getting a lot of web content on those items, make sure to UNCHECK the box next to "Block images and other external contect in HTML mail" which resides in the Tools/OPtions/Security tab. YOu can also choose to operating in the "Internet Zone" vs the "Restricted Sites" zone.. As mentioned before, this isn't a safe way to read your mail.. Active content in e-mail can allow spyware and viruses to be installed.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re: Unsafe mail...
by sen / October 21, 2006 4:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Unsafe Mail ...

Thank you Grif. I fully agree with you about the issue of security, and I first check my mail with ePrompter and then open it first directly at the website; but I also subsequently download the same to my OE6 for offline reading and reply.
The box next to ''Block images and other external contect in HTML mail'' is unchecked already, and I am operating in the ''Internet Zone'', not the ''Restricted Sites'' zone.
No joy yet about my problem being sorted out.

Collapse -
You Haven't Mentioned..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 22, 2006 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Unsafe mail...

...which browser you are using as the "default"?? Some complaints have occured with OE when Firefox is set as the default browser.. Resetting it to Internet Explorer fixes some of those issues.

If that's not the issue, my next step....assuming that Internet Explorer is working fine...would be to uninstall, then reinstall Outlook Express. BE SURE to backup in any important e-mail messages and contacts first.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.