Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Outlook Express 6 - Can't print email

by LJMerton / January 27, 2005 3:24 AM PST

Using Outlook Express 6 to send and receive email.
Operating System Windows 98SE.
Printer: Brother Laser Printer HL-5050.
Suddenly, I am unable to print my email from Outlook Express 6. Have clicked on the print button; clicked on File, Print; pressed CTRL-P, nothing happens at all. I've shut-down and restarted several times, turned printer off and on. No data sent to printer, no print jobs building up in printer queue, nothing. I am able to print from all other applications.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express 6 - Can't print email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express 6 - Can't print email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LJ, Have You Tried...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 27, 2005 3:51 AM PST

....Open Internet Explorer, then click on "View" in the upper left corner, select "Encoding" from the menu, then click on "Auto Select" to UNCHECK it.

Now open Outlook Express and see if it cured the printing issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
LJMerton reply
by LJMerton / January 27, 2005 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: LJ, Have You Tried...

Thanks for the response, Grif. Mozilla Firefox is the default browser. I did examine View, Encoding in Firefox and Internet Explorer like you mentioned and neither had AutoSelect checked. ??

Collapse -
LJ, My Next Step...Uninstall The Printer...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 27, 2005 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: LJMerton reply

Make sure you have the printer software so you can reinstall it after uninstalling. Start by opening the Control Panel, then see if there is any printer software listed there. If there is, remove the software from that location. Then open the "Printer" folder and "Delete" the printer, (if it's still there) by RIGHT clicking on the printer, choose "Delete". Unplug the printer from the back of the computer, restart the computer, then reinstall the printer per the instructions in the printer manual.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
This is what I've tried so far ...
by LJMerton / January 28, 2005 2:45 AM PST

Thanks again for your help. I am really striking out, though. This is what I've tried so far.

1. Checked the View setting in browsers as you mentioned.
2. Uninstalled the printer software, deleted the printer, and reloaded all.
3. Uninstalled Outlook Express 6 and reloaded.
4. Installed an HP 1200 laser printer and software but still no email printout to this printer, either.

All applications print except email from Outlook Express 6. Highlighting an email and pressing the Print button flashes a small hourglass three times next to the cursor arrow, then nothing; no data being sent, no print jobs. This is so strange. It occured so suddenly, from one evening fine to next morning not. The user is actually a secretary in our law office and she said nothing out of the ordinary was done prior to problem. ??

Collapse -
LJ, Maybe ??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 28, 2005 3:54 AM PST

When you open Outlook Express and have the e-mail message open, try clicking on "View", choose "Encoding", select "More", then click on "Unicode(UTF-8). Now try printing. Use the "File", "Print" method of printing instead of clicking on the "Print" button.

Just making sure here...You mentioned Outlook Express 6 but haven't mentioned your version of Internet Explorer...Are you using Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 ??..If you aren't at Service Pack 1, please install it as it fixes a number of problems.:

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 Download Link

If IE 6 SP1 is already installed, have you tried "repairing" it? Open the Control Panel, double click on the "Add/Remove Programs" icon, then locate and highlight the Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools" listing. Click on the "Remove" button and a small window will load. Select the option to "Repair" and follow the prompts to repair IE 6 SP1.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Email now printing !
by LJMerton / January 31, 2005 1:55 AM PST
In reply to: LJ, Maybe ??

Running Internet Explorer Service Pack 1 version.

I highlighted an email, clicked View, Encoding, More, Unicode (UTF-8) [It was set at Western European (ISO)], and that didn't seem to improve the printing of email.

But then I tried to run a repair of IE 6 SP1 and that finally resulted in a message saying the program could not be repaired but rather had to be reinstalled if I wanted to proceed. Having just reinstalled on Friday, 1/28/05, I didn't reinstall again.

But I tried printing an email again and it worked! I'm mystfied because I don't think I did anything just now to solve the problem.

I highlighted several other emails (the View/Encoding settings all had Western Europe (ISO) selected) and they are now printing.

After printing a few emails successfully, an error immediately appeared ----> MSIMN caused a stack fault in module KERNEL32.DLL. I clicked out of the error, the OE program shut down, and trying to unsuccessfully open it again repeatedly displayed another error ---> MSIMN executed an invalid instruction in module MSOE.DLL. I shut the machine off, restarted, and for the moment Outlook Express 6 is working properly and emails are printing. I suspect the errors aren't going to be the last, though. I guess I'll just hope for the best for now. ?? Thanks so much again for your time and suggestions.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LJ, Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 31, 2005 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Email now printing !
Collapse -
can't print emails
by bonaparte / March 28, 2005 2:22 AM PST

Internet script error
line 1344
char 1
code 0
URL: res://c:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/preview.dig

PLEASE HELP ME to solve that problem

freefrench@sympatico.ca

Collapse -
Bonaparte, More Info Please
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2005 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: can't print emails

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information as possible about your computer. In your case, we certainly need the operating system, the EXACt verson of the program you're using when you get the error, your Internet Explorer version, and any things you have done to fix the issue. The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

Have you tried disabling the Script Debugger in Internet Explorer? Open the Control Panel, double click on "Internet Options" icon, then click on the "Advanced" tab. When that opens, place a CHECK mark in the boxes next to "Disable Script Debugging". Click on "apply", then OK.

Please try installing the newest version of the Windows Script Engine from the appropriate operating system link below:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, and Windows NT 4.0

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

You also might check the links below:

Cannot Print from Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293176
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303360
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303486
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811165

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Internet Explorer Script Error
by pathirstx / March 31, 2005 4:08 AM PST

I also am unable to print from web pages. The following is the error message:
An error has occurred in the script on this page
Line 639
Char 1
Error - Invalid argument
Code 0
URL res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLL.DLL/preview.dlg
Do you want to continue running scripts on this page
Yes No
I am able to print from word & excel and by copying from web pages & pasting into Word.
I have a Compaq Presario 5WV296 running Windows ME. We have Norton System works & Firewall 2005 after picking up a dialler bug. I have tried the solutions you suggested to Bonaparte but without success. Any other help will be much appreciated. Do you need any more information?

Collapse -
Pa, Maybe....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 31, 2005 5:36 AM PST

Which version of Internet Explorer do you have installed?

Although the error at the link below isn't identical, it could be the fix to your issue.

Cannot Print from Internet Explorer

If IE 6 SP1 is already installed, have you tried "repairing" it? Open the Control Panel, double click on the "Add/Remove Programs" icon, then locate and highlight the Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools" listing. Click on the "Remove" button and a small window will load. Select the option to "Repair" and follow the prompts to repair IE 6 SP1.

If you haven't already done so, please download, install, update, then run ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Explorer
by pathirstx / March 31, 2005 4:41 PM PST
In reply to: Pa, Maybe....

Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried the repair through add/remove programs which is showing version IE 6 SP1, but "unable to repair version 5.5" appears. Help again please!
Pat

Collapse -
Unable to print from web pages
by pathirstx / April 1, 2005 4:44 PM PST
In reply to: Pa, Maybe....

Grif, Thank you for your suggestions. IE 6 SP1 was displayed as installed but when I tried to repair, the error was "unable to repair 5.5". Downloaded IE 6 SP1 again but had the same error message when I tried to repair. Have also downloaded and used the spyware you recommended. The error still persists. Will installing Firefox mean we would no longer use I E or will we have a choice?
Also (& I don't know whether this is a connected problem) I am unable to play sound from the web or from my CD player. Volume does exist because I have the Compaq welcome music!

Collapse -
WAG
by Cursorcowboy / March 31, 2005 9:13 PM PST

"When You Attempt to Print a Web Page: "An Error Has Occurred in the Script on This Page (Q303486)" or "Error Message When You Print from Internet Explorer: Printing Error: The Printer Cannot Be Found (Q303360)."

Note: An error message similar to the following may be rendered when printing a Web page to a file using the Print command:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 1210
Char: 1
Error: Unspecified error.
Code: 0
URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/preview.dlg

Note: Perform the #2 method outlined in [Q303360] for the file SHDOCLC.DLL instead of the "Iepeers.dll" mentioned.

Collapse -
Printing from internet
by pathirstx / March 31, 2005 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: WAG

I am unable to follow the link you suggest, my computer "freezes" each time I try. Also I am unable to play CD's getting a similar script error, could they be linked?

Pat

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.