Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Outlook error 0x800CCC0F

by debokor / July 20, 2004 8:52 AM PDT

Outlook 2003, Windows XP.
I know that this error message has been seen by many when sending and receiving via outlook, and I have seen many fixes, mainly related to antivirus and firewall. However, I get this message even when both are turned off. The interesting thing is that I can always trace it to a certain type of email message. By using the web access for my email, I find that it is always a message that comes with no sender named, and "--no subject--" as the subject. In addition, the message is always less than .6KB. Once I delete the message, email works fine. This happens in both of my pop accounts. I can fix it, but I keep getting these messages every day, and it is getting to be a pain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook error 0x800CCC0F
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook error 0x800CCC0F
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is PREVIEW turned off?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2004 10:15 AM PDT

If not, there are simple emails that cause all current versions of Microsoft Outlook and Express to hang.

Sorry, but no fix is available. Just turn off preview in the Inbox and Deleted boxes.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Is PREVIEW turned off?
by debokor / July 21, 2004 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Is PREVIEW turned off?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try. I can't tell yet, because I happened to not have received the type of message that I described since yesterday.

Thanks

Collapse -
I have this same problem
by NanBee / December 1, 2004 1:57 AM PST

All notes that come from "Unknown" get hung up and everything after that email stays on the server. I have to check Webmail several times a day. When you say "Preview" do you mean AutoPreview? Mine is already off.

Thanks,
Nancy

Collapse -
For Nanbee.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 2:21 AM PST

If autopreview is off, then you may have the "other" problem. OL2000 will take a walk (hang) on malformed incoming email at various variations. That is the OL2000 as installed from the CD will hang on malformed email as well as some service packs.

I don't recall which worked and which didn't. But the issue is known and Microsoft never quite cured OL2000.

Bob

Collapse -
Outlook 2003 has the same problem.
by pistonpilot / May 30, 2005 5:04 PM PDT
In reply to: For Nanbee.

I just had the same issue with my pop server pop.1and1.com. I'm using OL2003.

I had to delete the junk mail through webmail and as soon as I deleted the offending email the rest poured into my Outlook.

I would like to know, if it is Outlook that is halting or is it the pop server?

Collapse -
0x800ccc0f
by wingerei / May 30, 2005 7:41 PM PDT

Problem is Outlook 2003 in combination with NAV 2004 on certain hardware (in my case a Toshiba Portege M300) - after much installing and uninstalling and systematic changing of settings, I can get it to work with NAV 2004 set as auto-protect on, but incoming email scanning off. Any other settings and I can't get my email, except by completely uninstalling NAV.

Hope this helps others from not wasting hours on end when configuring a brand new PC!

Collapse -
It's OL2003.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2005 9:31 PM PDT

I've seen it choke on malformed email. Well, that's not quite correct, is it? I'd rather not dive too deeply into this, but Microsoft is not known for handling errors.

Bob

Collapse -
Error Message
by rkdcomp / July 16, 2005 8:34 AM PDT

I've posted some responses on this before but now at least I've found a soultion.

Have 2 computers, desktop and laptop. Same OS, Win XP Pro. Desktop connects through a cable modem and the laptop via a modem.

Using Outlook 2003 on both.

Get the same ox800ccc0f error on both at various times. Can go into my web mail and delete all the spam crap and then go back to Outlook and it will download all the email. Can duplicate it on both computers at various times.

So I did some more research and started to look at the Norton Antivirus as the problem.

At one suggestion it was recommanded to turn off the email protection and see if that solves the problem.

So the next time I received the error message and that was on both the laptop and desktop I went into NAV and turned off the email protection and then went back to Outlook and bammm downloaded ALL the email and no error message. I was able to duplate this on both computers at different times.

So went to the Symantec Support site and did some research. I'm using a Norton Corp ver and used that as the base for the error message. Found this.

From the Symantec document 2004081917125748

Error: ''Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection . . . '' in Outlook or Outlook Express when using Internet E-mail plug-in from Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.x

Situation:
When you attempt to send or receive email using Outlook or Outlook Express with Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.x Internet E-mail Auto-Protect enabled, you see the following message: ''Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. . . ''

In some situations, you may not see the error message, but you will notice that Outlook stops responding after receiving blank email messages.

Solution:
This issue is typically caused by an email message that is missing the sender or the subject or the message body.
This problem is fixed in Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.0.3. For information on obtaining the latest build of Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition, read How to obtain an update or an upgrade for your Symantec corporate product.

==============

Checked my version and it is 9.0.2.

So I'll have to get 9.0.3 and hope that solves the problem.

I'm sure that users of probably other versions may be having the same problem.

Hope this helps some of you out there.

Regards,

Richard
Tulsa, OK

Collapse -
What can i do in this problem? 0x800ccc0f
by pilovn / August 31, 2006 11:53 AM PDT

Hi all,
Pls guide me how to fix this problem -> 0x800ccc0f.

Collapse -
Re: Outlook error 0x800CCC0F
by joeperel / December 7, 2004 12:09 PM PST

I have the exact same problem with Outlook Express 6.0, but different types of e-mails are causing this problem. Any suggestion, will reinstalling Outlook Express fix this? Please let me know. This problem is driveing me crazy........

My Preview is turned off

Collapse -
This is not the same.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2004 10:12 PM PST

You are noting another email client that hangs up.

My bet is that some SPYWARE is at play and your post didn't share what you do about it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: This is not the same: spyware and the error messages
by tinacee / December 9, 2004 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: This is not the same.

I'm suddenly having the same problems as these other folks (no change in settings, etc.) I've turned off the Preview panes. Nol help. I don't have any dedicated spyware software installed. Tried one program and had to uninstall it --big hassle. I use 2004 Norton Antivirus and have my Windows and Norton firewalls disabled (couldn't get any e-mail, really). What is the next thing I should do to check against and disable/remove any spyware that might be present? Thanks for your help ---

Collapse -
The bogus antispyware issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 1:29 AM PST

The usual Spybot, Adaware and others are notable but I want to share a growing problem with you.

BOGUS SPYWARE COMPANIES. Read http://netrn.net/spywareblog/archives/category/rogue-anti-spyware-software-and-sites/

They reveal the link to this list so you can avoid known bad companies. Its just sad so many are having this issue.

You may have spyware if Spybot fails. Here's why. Newer spyware and malware are specificly crafted to give spyware removal tools a hard time. If you can't run Adaware, Spybot and such, then run to the Virus and Security Forum and post about it since this is the topic every day.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The bogus antispyware issue.
by rkinkead / December 9, 2004 8:02 AM PST

I am suddenly having the same problem. I was able to receive email just fine yesterday and then today I am receiveing this same error message. I have both AdAware and Spybot and I run them at least once a week and I use Norton AV 2005. I have a firewall installed and checked that but it is not blocking ports 25 & 110. I keep the spyware software and the Norton updated all the time. I just ran both spyware programs and nothing was found. I have a highspeed connection that I keep up all the time because I am working on a distributed computing project where I need to transfer files to the parent server on a regular basis so I keep the firewall on all the time as well.

Collapse -
The ISP EMAIL Server issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 8:12 AM PST

If you think there is nothing wrong with your machine, go setup another POP3/SMTP account that is not on your ISP.

With the spam flood levels at all time highs, I'm beginning to think that some of these errors are simply email servers that at maxed out.

ISP's are sadly ill-equipped most of the time and can't help the millions they serve.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The ISP EMAIL Server issue.
by rkinkead / December 9, 2004 8:31 AM PST

Bob, Thanks, I'll try that.

RK

Collapse -
Re: The ISP EMAIL Server issue.
by rkinkead / December 9, 2004 10:27 AM PST

Bob, guess what, the crazy thing is working now. Maybe the server was just overloaded with requests. Anyway I am back up and running.

RK

Collapse -
how to setup another POP3/SMTP account ?
by J J WITT / January 29, 2005 7:09 AM PST

Sir: you wrote earlier--
If you think there is nothing wrong with your machine, go setup another POP3/SMTP account that is not on your ISP.

Can you tell me how I do that?
Thank you

Collapse -
Jumped in here?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2005 7:31 AM PST

The setup or exact steps are defined by what Email Client you are using plus you ISP or server's instructions. I can not know this.

Bob

Collapse -
Issue gets more weird...
by foolygoofy / October 12, 2007 12:48 AM PDT

Equipment and Locations:
So I have 3 computers. Two of them are at Home and they get me this issue only on port 25 so I can not send email. The third computer that I have is at work and it is connected to the same accounts that I have I at home, the difference is that they do work at work, but not at home.

Software and Hardware:
They all run on windows XP, I used Norton Internet Securities 2005 and just recently I switched all the three computers to AVG Free Advisor, to send mail I use Windows Live Mail. All this computers at home and at work use a linksys router connect to the network.

Two things that I see different are the modems used and the ISP. At home is bellsouth with a Westell modem and at work is a comcast modem with comcast.

Conclusion:
So after checking my firewall, the antivirus, account settings and running test through Telnet I got no solution. So I brought one of the computer from home to work, connected to the network and tried to send mail but I was not able.

So things are narrowed down, but what could be next?

Collapse -
by HillTop / December 13, 2004 4:44 AM PST

If you are running Norton and this happened after December 6, 2004 it could be a Symantec bug. Go to
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2004120916505213?Open&src=&docid=2003042915550336&nsf=nip.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=
for a fix titled
Error: "Your email message to <email address of recipient> with the subject <email subject> was unable to be sent . . ." (1003,9) after running LiveUpdate.
It worked for me after I found it after spending 2 days doing various configuration settings and reinstalls.

Collapse -
by cvjetka / February 18, 2005 3:21 PM PST

Try this (Windows XP, SP2):
- Click CHANGE FIREWALL SETTINGS
- click on ADVANCE
- click on connection you are using for email
- on the next page make sure that there is a check mark in front of POP3 and SMTP.

Collapse -
Outlook error 0x800CCC0F
by rleatherwood / March 2, 2005 9:47 PM PST

Bob,

I woke up before the birds this morning and decided to try and solve this Outlook error 0x800CCC0F once and for all.

I am running my own mailserver. Unfortunately I have experienced this error for *years* now.

I have read most of the posts in this forum and numerous links in Google and so far I have not seen anything I have not already tried - but so far none of the solutions have worked for me or others using my mailserver.

KEY: The one solution (not really a solution) that ABSOLUTELY ALWAYS works is to continue clicking Send/Receive until Outlook makes the connection and sends and receives email. Be aware that I change absolutely nothing on mailserver or client but just continue clicking Send/Receive and eventually it works.

I have experienced the problem when the server is under load and I have experienced the problem on multiple machines when the server is under no load.

I have also seen Outlook work fine when the server is under load.

I have experienced the problem on inhouse client computers behind the firewall. Other users of my mailserver have experienced same error from outside the firewall - multiple people using different ISPs.

I have experienced the error on several machines including Win98SE, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP running various versions of Outlook including Outlook 97, Outlook 2000, Outlook 2003 and various versions of Outlook Express. I have experienced the problem on machines running various versions of Norton Anti-Virus, Norton Firewall, Norton Internet Security.

At this point in my mind, the problem is with Outlook/Outlook Express. The reason I think this is because I can be experiencing the problem on a machine running Outlook/Outlook Express - and at the same time check mail against the same server using Mozilla Thunderbird email client from another machine and it works fine. In fact while Outlook is trying and dying slowly as it checks 4 mailboxes, I can click Mozilla Thunderbird's Get Mail button as fast as I can and it will not fail or even hiccup. In fact it checks against the server so fast without failing that I can not even read the status messages coming from Thunderbird as it polls the mailbox.

I have been using Outlook/Outlook Express for years. I have only been running Mozilla Thunderbird for a couple of months but so far I have not seen Thunderbird cough up this error - not even once.

At this moment, the mailserver is under load (refusing requests to connect from known spam senders) and machine running XP Home SP2 and Outlook 2003 is failing and at the same time, from a different machine running XP Pro SP2, Thunderbird, I am clicking the Get Mail button in Thunderbird as fast as I can and it is not failing at all (one time it was a little slow in checking the mailbox but completed without an error).

Also all of the machines I have are fully patched and I am running Ad-aware SE on all of them. Ad-aware has never refused to run on any of them but it almost always finds spyware - even on a freshly formatted machine that has done nothing but have Windows loaded and get updates from Microsoft and then load Ad-aware and run it.

I simply must conclude the problem is Outlook/Outlook Express and this is distressing because the software is so ubiquitous and while it will be relatively easy for me to disable Outlook/Outlook Express and install Mozilla Thunderbird on my own machines, it will not be so easy to convince other people using my mailserver to do that.

To everyone reading this, I would try running Mozilla Thunderbird which is freely available at www.mozilla.org or try some other mail client such as Eudora to see if it solves your problem once and for all.

By the way, I do *not* work for Mozilla nor am I affiliated with them in any way other than using their software.

If you can't switch away from Outlook/Outlook Express, then try not changing anything on your computer and just keep on clicking Send/Receive and see if eventually (may take 20 times over 10 minutes) it will successfully send and receive mail.

I am very curious to know if my experience correlates with other's experience in this error/solution.

Hope this information helps everyone.

Rob

Collapse -
Outlook error 0x800CCC0F
by brendon / March 14, 2005 8:57 AM PST

I am getting this same error.

We are on 256kbps ADSL and our email pop accounts are provided by our ISP.

We run NAV2004 and NAV2005 but have outgoing email scanning turned off. We also have XP SP2 installed and Outlook 2003.

The problem mainly occurs when sending attachments and is usually fixed by reseting the router. The internet is still running when we restet the router.

any suggestions?

Collapse -
Receive but cannot send e-mail; error message 0x800ccc0f
by mikewi / March 21, 2005 10:19 AM PST

I have completely removed anti-virus software, and have installed a brand new modem. Everything is working well, except that I cannot send e-mails. I can receive e-mails, but cannot send them. I am running Windows ME and Outlook Express 6. Any help would be appreciated. Has anybody uninstalled Outlook Express and then reinstalled it? P.S. No matter how many times I hit send/receive button, I cannot get e-mail to send.

Collapse -
re: error message 0x800ccc0f - GRRRRR!!!!!
by AndyPanda45 / March 27, 2005 1:01 AM PST

Boy, is this error message a nuisance!! I'm running Windows XP and using Outlook 9.0.0.3821; I have a DSL connection; I have Norton SystemWorks 2005, ZoneAlarm Pro, and Webroot Spy Sweeper and they're all up-to-date as of 3/26/05; I've re-installed Outlook not once but TWICE, and even tried Eudora. Nope - no email at all, in OR out...NOTHING since 2/18/05.

AND YET...if I go to my DSL provider's email portal (netmail.verizon.net), or to mail2web.com and key in my proper ID & password, BAM!!! All my email is right there waiting for me. I can send and receive with no problem at all.

What does this suggest? I'm hopelessly lost on this issue.

Collapse -
Andy, here are some...
by glenn30 / March 27, 2005 1:20 AM PST
Collapse -
spyware and error message 0x800cc0f
by russellwilliams / April 5, 2005 10:00 AM PDT

i continue to have this error message pop up now and then, and the computer consultant i use suggests that my anti-spyware (webroot) may have led to the problem. it is possible that i deleted something the spyware flagged that my system needs. webroot sent a usual disclaimer that its up to the user to pick the correct items to delete, but being a layperson, that is just insane, considering how spyware is pushed on consumers. we're going to have to do a reinstall of my system. the old computer and office computer that didn't have webroot installed is having no problems.

sorry, no easy solution to offer here.

Collapse -
Same error message but know the cause
by kcbergmo / April 6, 2005 12:30 PM PDT

I've got Symantec Antivirus Corporate Ed 9.0.1 installed on a server that updates virus defs for 7 client PC's in my home. I've got the Alert Management server set to send an email to myself if a virus is detected on any of the machines. I use Comcast as my ISP and have tried using the same reply to address as the send to address, a fake reply to, and a reply to of another valid account. All with the same results. I can send email, but when it tries to receive, I get the same error everyone else in this thread complains about. If I got to my Web Email, I can see the message, and I must delete it out of the inbox and out of deleted items before I can receive email from Outlook again. This only happens with messages from my AV server, never get them from anywhere else. This was working fine up until about the end of 2004 (Oct-Nov?)Funny that it will pull into my webmail fine, but not Outlook. I'm using Outlook 2003 with XPpro, all updates and patches. Probably some "patch or fix" that was applied that caused it, but I'll be damned if I can find any cause for it.

Collapse -
Error 0x800ccc0f - helllp!
by greengirl25 / September 13, 2005 5:28 AM PDT

I work for an agency whereupon 2 given computers (DELL) will suddenly be unable to receive mail in their Outlook email program and the rest of the agency is online and able to receive. The weird thing is we are all functioning from the one server: Hp C2110. We have a router/firewall to protect our data and we use OS WIN XP Pro; we also employ the patches from Microsoft in the p.m. after hours so if a patch problem existed it would effect all of us and first thing come Wed. morning as Microsoft puts out its patches on Tuesdays. We are all linked together via a LAN and share internet service through COX Cable. Why would two employees have a problem receiving mail on their DELL computers and no one else? By the way, we have Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus software for the server servicing us all. It is scheduled to do its thing after hours daily. Help. Appreciate all replies.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.