Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Outlook closes message rather then opening the next message

by g_bigham / January 28, 2012 2:00 AM PST

I use Windows 7 Pro x64 and Outlook 2010. until recently, when I delete a message or click the arrow to move to the next message, then next message opened. Now, it usually closes. I have set and reset the option "open the next item: in: File>Options>Mail>Other>After moving or deleting an open item:
The only thing that has changed on the system is I upgraded from AVG 9 to AVG 2012.
Any ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook closes message rather then opening the next message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook closes message rather then opening the next message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tell us more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 29, 2012 7:36 PM PST

Sorry for the delay.

Can you tell us more? Is this Outlook connected to an Exchange Server? If so I would first ask the server tech person about this.

If not, tell us what you mean by 'it usually closes'. What does, Outlook or the message? Is your Preview Pane enabled? If so, when you delete a message or arrow down, does the next message display in the preview pane then disappear?

If the next email 'closes', what happens when you highlight that email in the list?

Does AVG scan your emails? If so, can you disable that as a test?

Mark

Collapse -
more info
by g_bigham / January 30, 2012 9:00 AM PST
In reply to: Tell us more

Outlook is not connected to Exchange. I use the "Microsoft Office Outlook Connector" to connect to my Hotmail account (MAPI), my Live account (MAPI) and the POP account from my ISP. My Hotmail account is my primary.
When I open a message and then select delete or next message, the first message will close (as it should), the next message will open briefly then close. This occurs every time with messages over a few days old but with new messages does not always occur the 1st time I select delete or next (but will the 2nd time).
I do not use the Preview Pane.
When a message closes, the next message will be highlighted (in Outlook).
AVG does scan emails. I've adjusted it various ways and disabled it (email scanning) without changing the issue.

Collapse -
Hmmm.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: more info

Now I'm struggling. Not only do I never user Outlook, (except at work before I retired, on an Exchange Server), but I don't know about Microsoft Office Outlook Connector and MAPI

Can you tell more please, just so I get the picture in my mind.

You don't use the Preview Pane so I assume that, when you select an email from your Inbox you highlight then single click or double click it and the full email opens in a new window, (with my Thunderbird email software that would be a new tab, but the process is the same). Have I got that right? If not, tell me what happens please.

If so, then you finish with this email and close that window/tab. Then you delete that email from the Inbox and so the next email down gets highlighted. OR, you do not delete that message but instead simply highlight the next message down the list.

What happens then? Does a new window/tab open to allow you to read that message, then that window instantly closes? or does the highlighted email instantly unhighlight itself? Does it delete itself?

If that email in the list unhighlights itself, what happens if you select it again?

I doubt MAPI would be causing this. From what I have read about it, MAPI is a utility that allows you to send an email from within a document. But I know little.

However, Microsoft Office Outlook Connector looks interesting. This allows you to download your Hotmail email via POP into your email client, Outlook. I have POP'd my Yahoo.co.uk email to my Thunderbird software and with both TB and my web mail page open at the same time, I have seen an email arrive in my web access account, then disappear within seconds as it is sent to my TB software.

I wonder if this problem you are having is related to Microsoft Office Outlook Connector.

Mark

Collapse -
Found the answer
by g_bigham / February 4, 2012 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm.

OK, things have changed since my last post but, I'll answer your questions first.
1st, yes, I double click a message in the main window, a new window opens.
2nd, no, when I finish with a message there are icons in that window which allow me to (among other things) goto next massage or delete the current message. When I select one of these, the next message appears in the open message window briefly then that window closes. In the main Outlook window, the next message will be highlighted.
Now, the new information. what I had forgotten about is that before this issue started, I had deleted a large number of messages. Something like 300 - 400 out of 1200. And, after my last post, Outlook stopped downloading new messages from Hotmail.
The solution was simple (after it's fixed, solutions are usually simple!). Open account settings in Outlook, delete the Hotmail account, then add it back.
I wish I could say it was my own solution but, it isn't. It "Googled" it and found: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/officeversion_other-outlook/outlook-connector-error-synchronizing-folder-error/72908b27-f93e-412d-99e6-831f4f7d9b5c.
Simply put, Microsoft Outlook Connector 'goes stupid' when you make a lot of changes at one time.

Thank you very much for your help!

Collapse -
I think you're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2012 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: Found the answer

I was think this was rare and was waiting to chat with an Outlook expert of mine but will call that off now that you are using Hotmail. That and the connector is a source of trouble it seems. My friend has told me he tries to fix such a thing by dumping the connector and moving to the usual IMAP or POP/SMTP email.
Bob

Collapse -
Similar issue, slightly different circumstances
by rbolan / June 27, 2012 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

I see the same symptoms here. Using Outlook 2010 on Win7 Ultimate. In my case, however, I am using IMAP for my primary email, and also have a POP3 setup to a second email server, and a Hotmail connector. I am also using AVG Free 2012, and do not use the preview pane.

I have Outlook configured to display the previous email after deleting an email. In most cases, when I delete an open email, the previous one briefly opens, then closes. Occasionally it will open fine, but I am unable to identify under what circumstances that occurs.

If the item I currently have open happens to be a meeting notice, and I accept it, Outlook will close and delete the meeting notice as configured, then display an error message saying it was unable to open the previous message.

Collapse -
Interesting but how can this be supported.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2012 4:35 AM PDT

"Hotmail connector." and more! You are out on a limb here so my bet is you found some combination with issues.

I'd talk to those that support you to see if they have a fix.
Bob

Collapse -
The real fix
by g_bigham / June 27, 2012 10:22 AM PDT

I didn't realize this thread was still open. I found the cause (at least for me). It was AVG Anti Virus (ver 2012) ! I uninstalled AVG and the problem went away! I did not contact AVG tech support so there could be another answer. For me I now use Microsoft Security Essentials and have not 'seen' the issue again

Collapse -
That's a good find
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 27, 2012 8:05 PM PDT
In reply to: The real fix

and thanks for reporting back to tell us.

Could be useful.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.