Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Outlook cannot connect to server (POP3 or IMAP)

by MyWifeIsDead / November 1, 2007 6:21 AM PDT

My boss checks his e-mails using MS Outlook 2003 on his laptop. He was in foreign countries this month and when he came back he said that he haven't received any e-mails for several weeks. I connected his laptop to the network and I was able to browse the local network, I had internet access, I could ping our mail server, but when I send/receive messages there was nothing. I made a new account and couldn't connect to the servers neither using POP3, nor IMAP. I reinstalled Outlook (the whole MS office) but the problem remains. The next step is to reinstall Windows, but it is not recommended. I have done nothing to the mail server. The computer is not part of the domain, but others that are not can connect with no problems. Can anyone give some hints what could cause the problem and how to fix this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook cannot connect to server (POP3 or IMAP)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook cannot connect to server (POP3 or IMAP)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depending on where he connected at
by PudgyOne / November 1, 2007 8:46 AM PDT

and what isp he connected with, most will block certain ports and some countries also block some other countries websites, video's, etc.

You'll have to ask him to check on the webserver the next time or possibly set up an account that will forward his emails, while away to something like a gmail account, where he can check his emails on a webserver, if he cannot use the webserver that your company uses.

It's probably NOT broke, so don't try to fix it. Just double check his settings and see if he can get his messages, now that he's back home.

Collapse -
ISP has nothing to do with this.
by MyWifeIsDead / November 3, 2007 3:53 AM PDT

It's our LAN and our mail server. So the ISP has nothing to do with the problem. I connect the laptop to our LAN, then remove the firewall (to be sure that's not the problem and we have a firewall that checks all the internet traffic) and then I start Outlook. There's "noone home" on send/receive so I create a new outlook account, and when I "test account settings" or press "OK" outlook cannot connect to the server. I try with other users' UN/PW but it still doesn't work. So it's not the settings. It's like something is blocking it but I don't know what could it be. There's no spyware or viruses either... I guess I'm just gonna reinstall the OS.

Collapse -
Sorry, I read your post wrong
by PudgyOne / November 3, 2007 4:18 AM PDT

I thought when you said

He was in foreign countries this month and when he came back he said that he haven't received any e-mails for several weeks.

you meant that he couldn't check his emails while there.

First thing to do.Check the webserver and make sure that there are messages there.

If there are messages there, then check the settings for Outlook and the mail server. We had someone forget a small item when setting up my email account and I had multiple folders and messages weren't where they were suppose to be.

If they look good, then the next step would be to remove the account. Now close Outlook. Wait about 10 seconds and open Outlook. Now set it up again. Does it work? If NOT, then...

Re-install Outlook. Make sure to get all the updates for it. Then setup Outlook for the account.

Best I can do.

Collapse -
Already done.
by MyWifeIsDead / November 3, 2007 4:34 AM PDT

Well, I've done this a couple of times with no luck. I'll reinstall the OS. Thanks for your effort, Rick. Have a nice day.

Collapse -
I resolved the problem the same way
by troypreble / April 7, 2008 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Already done.

I had the same exact problem. I also had to reinstall the OS. I looked and looked for a solution to no avail.

Collapse -
I also found a way to resolve the problem
by tcollet / August 13, 2009 3:33 AM PDT

If you're boss is using gmail as his POP3 server then there is a really simple step you can take without having to reinstall your OS.
1. Delete your acct in Outlook
2. Go to your boss' gmail acct and click on Settings tab
3. Click on Forwarding/POP tab
4. Make sure your POP3 is enabled
5. Click on configure settings in the POP3 section
6. Click on Outlook 2007 (I can't remember if this is your boss' email client
7. Click on troubleshooting
8. Click on "yes it worked before" option
9. Click on Login
10. Follow google's instructions to clear your CAPTCHA (stupid name)

Voila! Now you can reenter your acct information in Outlook and it should work again. Mine did.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.