Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Outlook Attachments not being received

by Poorgrunt / November 20, 2003 10:40 PM PST

A couple of people to whom I send e-mails regularly cannot receive attachments from me.

These people receive e-mail attachments from everyone else without any problems.

I have tried sending the attachment in Plain text, Rich text and HTML formatted messages, to no avail.

The attachments blocked seem to be of any type, documents, spreadsheets, messages and contacts.

There is no indication on the other end that anything was blocked- there is just no attachment or any indication thereof (other than referenced by me in my text message, of course).

I use Outlook 2002 SP-2 and Windows XP.

At least one of the receipients use Outlook Express, I suspect the latest version.

Also, I send e-mail attachments to everyone else without any problems.

This is very frustrating, any advice that would help in troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Attachments not being received
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Attachments not being received
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Might not be "you."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2003 12:23 AM PST

Try sendind such from a new Yahoo email account. Your ISP may have problems or has a policy to eject attachments.

For instance a recent news article noted a college has said "enough!" and is dumping most attachments.

Be sure your attachment and email is not overly large. Some ISP's (most) will limit your email to about 2 megabytes. Some are lowering that to 1 and less megabytes because SPAM is flooding the mail servers.

Bob

Collapse -
Size Doesn't Matter
by Poorgrunt / November 21, 2003 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: Might not be "you."

Thank you.

I should have mentioned that size does not matter. No attachments go through.

Further, I have no problems sending others attachments and these recipients regularly recieve attachments from others (indeed, that is my current "work around"- sending attachments to others to resend to them).

A Yahoo or Hotmail account does not really help me because I would like to send contacts direct from my Outlook Contacts list.

However, I appreciate your response. Thanks, again.

Collapse -
Re:Size Doesn't Matter
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2003 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: Size Doesn't Matter

That's a clue. As you may or may not know, email is passed from server to server. If you have a reliable failure, then you can supply this reliable failure to your ISP for investigation.

As noted, some colleges routines strip attachments. Some ISP's have resorted to this as well. You may or may not be notified of this policy change.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Size Doesn't Matter
by Poorgrunt / November 21, 2003 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Size Doesn't Matter

Thank you, I will proceed accordingly.

I am afraid that the logic eludes me, however. The problem is in just these two unrelated addresses- no where else.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your response and will contact my IT department, again, perhaps this time with a bit of knowledge.

Collapse -
No logic, here's the story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2003 3:46 AM PST
http://www.osdir.com/Downloads+index-req-viewsdownload-sid-85.phtml

"Description: alterMIME is an integrated email/mailpack manipulation utility. It adds and modifies headers, adds disclaimers, and changes or removes embedded attachments."

This is just ONE of many email transport and filter tools that an ISP, business or other may implement.

Rules can be set to strip all attachments as they pass along and more.

JUST one example.

The good thing you have going for you is a HARD FAILURE. This will make it easier to sort out.

Bob
Collapse -
Re:No logic, here's the story.
by Poorgrunt / November 21, 2003 11:26 AM PST

Thank You.

I appreciate your responses, as well as your reponses to others, from which I have learned much.

Collapse -
Re:Outlook Attachments not being received - Their Email Security
by TAvinger / November 26, 2003 12:18 AM PST

I found the same thing happening with PDF and XLS files sent to certain recipients. I don't use OE or Outlook, but looking around under Tools>Options>Security>Advanced, there was a check off that prevented attachments from being downloaded. The recipients security level was too high... once it was cleared(let AV do the checking), all was well in the world of MS. I believe the setting was set as default when a recent MS Update for security was applied. It was not ISP nor senders problems. Look at the settings on recipients computer. I also noticed that not all OE versions have this check off.

Collapse -
outlook attachments not being received
by alrea / July 30, 2005 12:50 AM PDT

Wow. I have the same issue with ONE PERSON. So all attachments come through every day except from the one person. Also, all their attachments go through fine to everyone, except to me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.