Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Outlook 2013 does not recieve emails !!!!!

by jpvieau / March 27, 2013 12:44 PM PDT

So, I decided to get a laptop. My desktop running Outlook 2010 works great. When I went to the Microsoft website the only mail suite offered was Outlook 2013. I bought it for download. I had the tech from Road Runner help me set it up. Emails went out fine, could not receive any. They said it was a Outlook problem. On the Microsoft forum I found a whole bunch of people with the same problem. Hours and hours have been spent trying to fix it with no joy. One fellow was remote controlled for 2 hours with no resolution.
One fix did come up for some people, that was to change your name from your screen name to email address. No joy for me.
I run Windows 7 on all the computers. Any clues/fixes would be helpful. Thanks John Vieau

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook 2013 does not recieve emails !!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook 2013 does not recieve emails !!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Does F9 work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 8:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Nope...(But thanks for the try)
by jpvieau / March 28, 2013 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Does F9 work?
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 5:55 AM PDT

I've seen where F9 works but when that fails it points me back to setup or antivirus issues. For example if the antivirus/firewall/we'll block anything for safety reasons software kicks in, well, I don't see 2013 failing like this on its own.

Collapse -
you would think would be a simple fix..
by jpvieau / March 29, 2013 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

But on the Microsoft thread for this everyone is pulling their hair out...

Collapse -
No hair loss here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 11:39 AM PDT

But the office is full of programmers so we usually sort it out. It's not always possible to troubleshoot over a forum so a doctor visit is next.

Collapse -
Why not install Outlook 2010 then?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 9:08 PM PDT

You should be able to try it without license key.

If it works OK, activate it. That will be refused, so you'll have to buy a new license key. That's all. Maybe the activation help line at Microsoft will sell you one. Or buy the disk: still has 9 in stock.

If it doesn't work, nothing lost. Then you know it's not an Outlook problem, but a more basic problem in Windows or the configuration. Then try Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail to see if they work.

Collapse -
I may have to...
by jpvieau / March 29, 2013 11:16 AM PDT

I probably will try Outlook 2010. I would have loaded it except the Microsoft site only sells the 2013 download.

Collapse -
Outlook 2013 and Road Runner email
by Martib317 / March 2, 2014 5:43 AM PST

Pulling my hair out! Outlook 2013 intermittently would not download mail and asked for my password. Kept rejecting it. Called customer support of RR and said it was the software. Connected me to Microsoft tech and got it fixed by changing my password.....several days later, same thing happened. Called Microsoft tech with Ref number - changed password again - said it was NOT the software. Several days later, guess what? Happened again, called Road Runner tech support - said it was software and they haven't received the manual for Microsoft Office here I am - unable to download any of my email from the server cannot either send or receive - keeping getting the following error for both sending and receiving. "Error 0X8004010F - outlook data cannot be accessed" Both coming and going.... Arghhh!

Still have 2007 office on my XP computer - works fine!!!Arghh, again.

Collapse -
Outlook 2013 quit receiving emails
by SP_SD / July 21, 2014 10:32 AM PDT

About two weeks ago my husband and I began having problems with Outlook 2013 being unable to receive emails in any of our POP3 email accounts. There is no problem with sending emails, only with receiving emails. We have separate computers running Windows 8.1 and, of course, different Outlook 2013 licenses. We had made no changes to our email accounts. About one week ago, the problem went away after a Windows update. Unfortunately, the problem returned two days ago. The message for each email account is:

Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Does anyone have a solution to this problem, which apparently has been going on for quite some time?

Collapse -
This thread is more than 480 days old
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2014 10:48 AM PDT

The most common cause I run into is when the ISP changes something. Given your clues, most likely is the ISP and the next is that you are not on the ISP's own network. Many ISPs allow receiving when you are not on their network, few let you send but your issue is the opposite so it's time to check with your ISP what's up.

Collapse -
ISP has advised the problem is not with them
by SP_SD / July 22, 2014 5:04 AM PDT

When we first discovered the problem, we contacted our ISP (AT&T), who advised that the problem was not theirs and that we should contact Microsoft. However, much to our dismay, when we contacted Microsoft tech support, we learned that their warranty of Outlook 2013 is now only for 90 days. Even though my husband had only had the product for about six months, they would not assist in solving the problem unless we paid $99 for one issue for one month or $149 to assist with other issues for one year. We decided instead to research the problem on our own, and in about one week the problem resolved itself and once again the emails started coming in. Unfortunately, the difficulty began again after about one week, and we are receiving the same error messages as before.

A couple of other things: (1) A month or so ago we were frustrated to have a window pop up asking for our password even though we had not changed it and Outlook had the correct password--similar to what Martib317 experienced above. The difference for us was that at that time if we hit "enter," Outlook would proceed and mail would be received. At that time it was just annoying. (2) We used Outlook Express for nearly 20 years and never experienced anything like this.

Collapse -
This thread is more than 481 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2014 5:20 AM PDT

Let's say it is not the ISP. Go get Thunderbird and try that.

And yes, I've had ISPs just lie to me about it's not them.

Collapse -
Email problem was caused by Internet security program
by SP_SD / August 3, 2014 4:42 PM PDT

Finally, we have the problem solved of Outlook 2013 not being able to receive emails. It turned out to be caused by some changes our Internet security provider had made to their software. After a couple more updates they provided, the problem appears to be completely solved. It's sure great to have emails coming in quickly and smoothly once again. And, our ISP was right: they weren't the source of the problem!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.