Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Outlook 2003 won't archive my Inbox

by mmorasch / July 6, 2004 8:39 AM PDT

I've tried this numerous times. I've been trying to create archives of my old emails to clear them out of my everyday .pst folder. I have successfully created the inbox_2001.pst, inbox_2002.pst files and the sent_2001.pst, sent_2002.pst and send_2003.pst

For the life of me, I can't get my inbox to archive stuff from 2003. All of the folders have 'Archive items in this folder using the default settings' option checked. When doing the export, I say 'Archive this folder and its subfolders' and say to 'Archive items older than: Thu 1/1/2004'

The archive process runs w/o error and generates inbox_2003.pst. However, the file is only 256kb and has no emails in it. All of the 2003 emails are still in the inbox folders

Anyone have any ideas why the archive is not happening?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook 2003 won't archive my Inbox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook 2003 won't archive my Inbox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Outlook 2003 won't archive my Inbox
by RJC / July 28, 2004 12:44 PM PDT

I have the same problem with Outlook 2003; my pst file is from my Outlook 2002. I see the problem I'm having, but don't have a fix. First add the column ?Modified? to you Inbox using field chooser (right click in the field name area and under Date/Time Fields is Modified, drag it. The e-mails that were brought over from 2002 have a modified date of ?None?, but if you open the e-mail and look at file> properties, the modified date is the same as the e-mail date. I hope Microsoft will address this. For now I?ll drag my older e-mails to my archive file hopefully, I read a thread where they had a problem dragging more than 10 e-mails at a time... RJC

Collapse -
Is the SR installed?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2004 10:33 PM PDT

Microsoft released a patch recently called SR1 for Office 2003.

Is it installed?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Is the SR installed?
by RJC / July 29, 2004 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Is the SR installed?

Just installed it, and no help. I still see the problem of having a modified date of "NONE" in the "modified" column (added with field chooser) to my Inbox, but the individual e-mails still have the correct modified date. This is only on the e-mails that were recieved with a previous version of Outlook. The new ones are fine...RJC

Collapse -
This is beginning to sound as if ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2004 2:08 AM PDT

This is beginning to sounds as if this is how its supposed to work. Microsoft is famous for such.

If you can, look up the slipstick website and see if they have a forum. That site is nothing but about Outlook and may find a tool or person that knows how to edit those emails for the missing field info to forcably fix it.

Bob

Collapse -
Outlook 2003 won't archive
by agreer / February 17, 2005 4:27 AM PST

Did you ever get a resolution on this? I've got a group of users who seem to be experiencing exactly the same symptoms.

Collapse -
Outlook 2003 Not Archiving
by randine / March 30, 2005 6:30 PM PST

I am having the same problem, is it the date which is causing this problem. Did anyone find a solution to this problem, please let me know!

randineperry@hotmail.com

Collapse -
My fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2005 8:44 PM PST

I disabled Outlook's archiving and do it myself.

How? Easy. Sort by date, click and drag to the OldMail folder.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.