Office & Productivity Software forum

Resolved Question

Outlook 2000 .pst file size

by Hollean / December 30, 2012 8:35 PM PST

I'm still running outlook 2000 with windows XP operating system (SP3) on an old laptop.
The .pst file size exceeded the 2Gb limit which crashed Outlook. I have used the microsoft tools to crop the .pst and scanpst to repair the file, and everything is back up and running. I now need to ensure it doesn't happen again.
One "feature" of the recovery process is that I can't archive my bloated inbox. Don't know why, it just says "operation failed" I've deleted a few and emptied deleted items.
The current .pst is now 1.85Gb, which doesn't give me much wiggle room.
The folder size of personal folders is under 800Mb, split mainly between inbox and sent mail. The other folders are insignificantly small.
So where is the extra 1 Gb coming from ? is there some way I can trim, other than just deleting more emails ?
Thanks in advance and a Happy new year.
Andy

Hollean has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook 2000 .pst file size
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook 2000 .pst file size
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Hollean

Collapse -
Archive rarely worked for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 5:49 AM PST

So I simply copy the .pst and I'm done.

HOWEVER I did find the space by turning on the Size column and then I could sort by size. Usually it's some attachment that I can eject.
Bob

Collapse -
Sometimes archive does work
by Hollean / January 1, 2013 2:39 AM PST

Hi Bob
Thanks for the response. Funny thing is that archive works on sent items, but there's something in inbox which it doesn't like.

I followed your advice, sorted both inbox and sent items on size , then deleted some large attachements. That made some difference, but not much.
Folder size is now 600MB but .pst is 1.8 Gb.

On my other computer , running Outlook 2007, the personal folders file is 1 GB and the .pst is 2GB, so may be its just normal that the .pst is much larger than the folder.

What did you mean by "So I simply copy the .pst and I'm done." ? Do you create a new one ?

Interestingly, I created a brand new empty .pst and it was just 11MB. It downloaded a few new emails and suddenly it was 1.9GB. There was nothing is any of the emails which could account for that growth. That made me wonder if I had a virus.I run AVG all the time and it says I'm clean but you never know. Just to check i've installed malwarebytes, but that also says I'm clean .

Does any of that make sense ?
Hope you enjoyed your new years eve
Andy

Collapse -
What I mean by copy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 2:44 AM PST

I need to backup my outlook files and found that archive failed too many times. Since I can copy it out, then I can always bring it back with everything. Or place it in another user account if I want to look at it.

-> I can't explain MSFT's app behavior. Sorry.

But did you compact your email after the deletions? I didn't read you did that. It's not easy to find in the menus in my opinion.
Bob

Collapse -
Compacting solved the problem
by Hollean / January 1, 2013 7:46 PM PST
In reply to: What I mean by copy.

Hi Bob
That's it ! I wasn't aware that I needed to compact the file after deleting items.
I've followed your advice and compacted the .pst file, and its now down to 700MB
Problem solved.
Thanks very much. Have a great 2013.
Andy

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 1:15 AM PST

Sorry it took this many rounds to get to the bottom of this.
I'll have a great 2013 or at least plan for it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.