Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Outlook 2000 failure in Win 7 64Bit

by simsk / October 3, 2009 8:33 AM PDT

I've installed my version of MS Office(2000 Premium) on Windows 7, and everything seems to work fine, except outlook. I get two different errors:
1)An error occurred while attempting to open the Windows Address Book. Unable to find the WAB.DLL.
2)Unable to update public free/busy data. An error occurred while attempting to open the Windows Address Book. Unable to find the WAB.DLL

I've been searching the web, with no concrete results for 7. I've found references for everything from Win 95 up through Vista, but, not 7.
As I understand it, these are included in Outlook express, which, of course isn't available in 7. Each reference it to 'reinstall OE'. 7 doesn't give you that option, as its not a native application to 7.
One reference suggested copying WAB.DLL as well as WAB32.DLL to the sytem32 directory. Didn't work.
Would anyone have any idea if I'm going to be able to get Outlook 2000 to function in Win 7, and if so, HOW?
Thanks for any ideas you guys might have.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook 2000 failure in Win 7 64Bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook 2000 failure in Win 7 64Bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Might need to wait a few more weeks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2009 12:00 AM PDT

As Windows 7 isn't out yet you may be a little early to the party.

But do keep an eye on this and keep searching. I can't test this till that first week of November since the 7 RC machine is now off doing other tests.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Office 2000 & support
by Kees Bakker / October 4, 2009 12:09 AM PDT

From the MS Office Lifecycle FAQ on http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeoffice

Microsoft will continue to offer mainstream support for Office 2000 through June 30, 2004. The Office 2000 extended support period will last from July 1, 2004 through July 14, 2009. The latest Office 2000 service pack is required for hotfix support.

Seems like you might be out of luck on Windows 7. I can't read this as "guaranteed to run on Windows 7" (which comes out after July 14, 2009).

Time to upgrade?

Kees

Collapse -
with win7 pro, that's a non-issue
by ramarc / October 4, 2009 10:55 AM PDT

assuming your problem is an incompatibility, win7 pro includes an "xp mode". just install office 2000 into the virtual pc and it should run fine (since it will be running within xp but accessible from the start menu as any other program.)

Collapse -
Compatibility mode
by water0101 / October 12, 2009 9:28 PM PDT

I have successfully got past that error with Outlook 2000 by right clicking on the Program menu for Outlook, selecting Properties and in the Compatibility tab ticking the "run this program in compatibility mode for" box and selecting Windows XP Service Pack 3 in the drop down box.

For good measure I also ticked "Run this program as Administrator" in the Privilege section as this how I used it in XP.

All problems then disappeared.

Collapse -
can't get Office 2000 to work in windows 7 (missing WAB dll)
by abee123 / July 25, 2010 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Compatibility mode

I bought a new laptop (Lenovo wndows 7 64 bit in June 2010. I loaded my copy of Office 2000 and everything works except Outlook. I have tried several suggested 'fixes' but nothing works. One of the suggestions was to operate it in Compatibility Mode but can't find Outlook Properties tab.
Also, I am unable to update my Palm Tungstun on it. It syncs via USB cable. Any suggestions? To both problems.

Collapse -
Not sure about OL2000
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2010 9:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
OL2000 and palm
by abee123 / July 26, 2010 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Not sure about OL2000

For OL2000, I will try your suggestion about the service pack.
Unfortunately, my Palm is not bluetooth compatible. It is really old and only sync's with a usb cable. No cradle, no bluetooth.

Collapse -
Then
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2010 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: OL2000 and palm

IRDA is the only option. But not many machines have that.

I know XP MODE works but that's asking too much of owners.

Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2010 2:18 PM PDT
In reply to: OL2000 and palm

All the tungstens I've used have bluetooth. I'd check that one more time before you toss it out.

Collapse -
fix Outlook 2000 to work in Win 7
by carlift / July 31, 2010 3:34 AM PDT

The fix for Vista & Win 7 is

Copy the following files:
wab32.dll
wab32res.dll
\Program Files\Common Files\System
To:
\Windows\System32

Outlook should then work for you.

Collapse -
This was an excellent solution
by mightyphamo / January 28, 2011 11:44 AM PST

I had a new computer built which was costly with all the newest upgrades, but I wanted to use my old Outlook 2000 and had the same error with the "unable to find the WAB DLL". I had Windows 7.

Simsk's instructions worked very well and had found others to not work at all. Finally, I tried Simsk and I was skeptical at first. I went and opened a new account on this post page which I never do, but opened a new account to just let others know this one worked very well.

Thank you.
Mighty

Collapse -
Office 2000 Error Opening Address Book Missing Wab Dll file
by Russ29123 / March 27, 2011 9:40 PM PDT

If your getting this error when trying to use Outlook in Office 2000 installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bitt it can be fixed by doing a right click on the outlook icon thrn click on properties and then click the compatibility tab. Then check Run in Compatibility mode for-and pick Windows 7 from the pull down list. THIS FIXED THE

Collapse -
This did not work for me
by hibiscus13 / August 5, 2011 11:59 AM PDT

This did not work for me. The program wouldn't even open after doing this.

Collapse -
did not work for me
by hibiscus13 / August 5, 2011 11:57 AM PDT

This did not work for me. The program will not even open after doing this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.