Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Outlook 07 How to send deleted mail to server's trash folder

by yaaargh000 / February 18, 2007 1:03 PM PST

I'm currently having this issue with an imap account. Whenever I go to delete mail, all outlook 2007 does is put a strikethrough through the email and that's it. Is there a way to send deleted mail to the server's trash folder or another folder I can specify?

Also, for hotmail accounts, I would not like to send deleted mail to the hotmail server's trash folder because it just ends up getting deleted in 6 days or so and I'd like to keep all of the mail for backup. The reason why I like to delete them is so my inbox doesn't become so cluttered.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook 07 How to send deleted mail to server's trash folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook 07 How to send deleted mail to server's trash folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
heres the answer
by dipasa256 / February 20, 2007 11:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Kind of what I had in mind
by yaaargh000 / February 20, 2007 2:23 PM PST
In reply to: heres the answer

I appreciate all of the help, but I've already found that solution on the website. My intent was to somehow send deleted items (or items that I mark for deletion) to my imap server's trash folder. I don't want to permanently delete the email, just store it on the server's trash folder as a backup so that my inbox doesn't get clogged.

Collapse -
Never ever ever ever..
by entrecon / February 20, 2007 11:37 PM PST

Ahhhhhh! this frustrates me.

I have had too many users come to me wondering why they can't find something they put in the trash. In the real world you would not toss a document in the wastebasket and then go digging back in there in a month and wonder why you can't find it. This is the same on the computer!

If you want to keep it..DO NOT PUT IT IN THE TRASH! In your case the server may purge the trash at a certain point. What you need to do instead is create additional folder(s) and organize your mail into those folders by dragging and dropping or by creating Rules to have items moved to folder automaticly.

Collapse -
Not Possible with Outlook 2007 IMAP
by ajsansone / January 14, 2009 10:35 PM PST

It is not possible to specify the folder where messages are to be moved when deleted off of an imap server.

I do use Microsoft Entourage 2008 which is Outlook for Mac and that does include that feature which works great when you want to store deleted messages in your trash folder.

Another great tip I learned recently is if your using Gmail you should specify the root folder to be [Gmail].

Entourage lets you do more because you can specify the Sent Items folder ([Gmail]/Sent Items), Junk E-Mail folder ([Gmail/Junk E-Mail) and Trash Folder ([Gmail]/Trash).

This feature will probably be included in the next Microsoft Office Outlook.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.