Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Outgoing email not sending, incoming mail works correctly

by kesposito / August 23, 2007 4:09 AM PDT

I am having difficulty trobleshooting an issue on my husband's laptop. In our home network environment, he can connect to the internet and send/recieve email via his wireless AND via his wired connection. When he takes his laptop to his work network environment, he uses a wired connection. For the last two weeks, his connection at work will allow him internet access and the ability to receive emails, but ALL outgoing emails are unable to leave his outgoing mailbox...until he returns home and plugs into our home network.

His laptop runs WindowsXP, Outlook 2003 and the email account that I am having this issue with is a Verizon POP account.

I have to admit that I was messing with the security of our home network, and subseqently the settings on his latop, right around the start of this issue.

What could be causing this problem, specifically in his work environment.

Thanks for any help with this matter!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outgoing email not sending, incoming mail works correctly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outgoing email not sending, incoming mail works correctly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2007 4:24 AM PDT

All ISPs disallow you sending email unless you are on their network.

Nothing's busted here.

Bob

Collapse -
He was fine before.
by kesposito / August 23, 2007 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: That's proper.

What I don't understand is that his outgoing email was working correctly in this arrangement home/office for 2 years. It's just in the last two weeks that this problem popped up.

I keep thinking I did something in his settings to cause the problem.

Collapse -
Again, all proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2007 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: He was fine before.

ISPs have been shutting this down as they discover it's a source of spam.

It does not matter it worked before. It's not supposed to work.

Bob

Collapse -
Shutting what down?
by kesposito / August 23, 2007 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Again, all proper.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. What is the ISPs shutting down? He is "legally" on his office network, but they have NOOOO support and a HUGE staff. He's on his own (or I am) to figure this out.

Collapse -
Most isp's started blocking Port 25
by PudgyOne / August 23, 2007 6:46 AM PDT

Port 25 is the port that Verizon uses for outgoing mail. If it isn't their isp, then the company may have put a new block on that blocks port 25. I had this problem when I had CompuServe, sister company to AOL.

He can still log in using the webserver and can send emails from there, he just can't use an email program.

http://webmail.verizon.net/signin/

Rick

Collapse -
Thank You
by kesposito / August 23, 2007 7:01 AM PDT

OK, I think I get it now. I was just talking with someone else that explained that ISPs have been switching to static IP addresses and blocking email sending if not at that specific address. BUT, he said Verizon hasn't made the switch yet. It makes sense that the school district may have done their own block in an attemt to block potential outgoing spam.

Bummer. I thought about just sending him to the webserver, but it's frustrating to try to search for a sent or recieved email in both Outlook and the webserver. I wonder if there's a way to force all sent emails down to Outlook when he returns home.

Collapse -
I had verizon and my neighbor has verizon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2007 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You

And he can not send email from his machine when he connects to my network. I'm on Comcast.

Here's a workaround. Go get a gmail account and configure your email to send via gmail's smtp.

Bob

Collapse -
Gmail
by kesposito / August 23, 2007 8:50 AM PDT

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but are you saying that with a gmail account I can somehow pop my verizon.net account into Outlook through the gmail SMTP servers?

If so, how would I do that? I just setup a gmail account and I'm looking through the settings...

Collapse -
Sorry, a primer is needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2007 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Gmail

You asked how to fix a sending issue. This would not involve POP (or POP3) but using a SMTP setup to cure your access server.

Hope this helps you narrow it down. Also if all this seems daunting, any decent Verizon support should have told you it doesn't work when you are not on their network. But support has hit new lows.

Bob

Collapse -
If I send one from my Gmail account @ work
by PudgyOne / August 23, 2007 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank You

it will download to my computer, when I open Mozilla Thunderbird. If I receive an email in my Gmail account, I leave it in my inbox and it also downloads , when I open Mozilla Thunderbird, when I get home.

I'd just forget about the verizon.net email address and get a Gmail account, more flexability.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.