PC Hardware forum

General discussion

"Out of Scan Range" monitor message

by Medicated / December 17, 2003 3:16 AM PST

I have a Dell Insperon Notebook, that I?ve attached an external monitor (Gateway Vivitron 20), keyboard and mouse (both dell) to. (Through the ports in the back, not with a port replicator) They all have worked very well for almost a year now. Then just the other day, my monitor lost the primary color of red and a few hours later it just sat there with a black screen and a blue box that has a message in it that reads ?out of scan range.?

I restarted my computer several times, checked both power cord & connector cord for any kind of damage, I also check to make sure they were properly attached to the back of the monitor and the power outlet or computer. I even shut the whole thing down let them sit for a day. I have done some searching online, I found one article regarding an ?out of scan range? message that hinted at the problem being the monitor is to old for the computer it is hooked up to. Most of the article was very technical and I couldn?t understand much of it.

Now I know loosing a primary color can be any number of problems but what confuses me is the ?out of scan range? message, if it?s because the monitor is to old for the computer it?s hooked up to, why did it work for almost a year with no problems. Is my monitor in need of some major repair or is there a problem with my computer ?reading? the monitor. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated and thank you for you time in advance.

By the way, when I first hooked up the monitor to my laptop, I did not have to install a driver, it recognized the monitor right away and worked fine. I just ?plugged and played?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Out of Scan Range" monitor message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Out of Scan Range" monitor message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two ways to go....
by Michael Geist / December 17, 2003 7:38 AM PST

1) Check the monitor on another computer, if the same results are had than the monitor is likely in need of repair.

2) Check the laptops display, if not OK then your onboard video is suspect.

Collapse -
Re:Two ways to go....
by Medicated / December 17, 2003 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: Two ways to go....

Monitor works fine on another computer and my laptop screen is working fine as well.

I've done some more research and have discovered the problem, it really was quite simple and I feel kinda dumb now that I look back on it. All I had to do was tweek the res/refresh rate, works fine now.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.