Mac OS forum

Question

OSX 1.5.8 to Snow Leopard

by boggeyboss / October 7, 2012 2:12 AM PDT

Can I upgrade directly from OSX 1.5.8 to the most recent Snow Leopard version without going to intermediate versions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OSX 1.5.8 to Snow Leopard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OSX 1.5.8 to Snow Leopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Almost.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2012 3:01 AM PDT
http://www.amazon.com/Leopard-10-6-8-DVD-ROM-Version-Retail/dp/B008RZMSYG/

OK, there's Snow Leopard on DVD but then you go and spoil by "most recent".

To that I'm writing no since the patches/updates are not on the DVD. So depending on how we slice the question the answer is both yes and no.

-> However it's a shame you didn't share the exact model you wanted to install this on just in case.
Bob
Collapse -
Snow Leopard 10.6.8
by boggeyboss / October 7, 2012 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Almost.

Ok...thanks for the clarification. I have OS X 10.5.8. I want to upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with the least effort--hopefully that means directly from version 10.5.8 to 10.6.8. Can this be done?

Or am I required to upgrade to each intermediate version. If this is required, must I step through each upgrade?

Cost is not so much the issue. But ease of effort, time, and reliability are important. I do appreciate your help! Boggeyboss.

Collapse -
Looking around it looks like it can be done HOWEVER
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2012 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Snow Leopard 10.6.8

There is always a problem with Apps. I've lost count of the times an app doesn't survive and we get to remove and reinstall said app.

Why change? If it all works now, why do this?
Bob

PS. Again no model of the Apple is noted. Hope you did your research.

Collapse -
Snow Leopard Upgrade?
by boggeyboss / October 7, 2012 3:27 AM PDT

Sytem model information:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.20f4

From reading the Apple Site I am lead to believe that it is not possible.

Collapse -
too bad that wasn't noted up front.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2012 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Snow Leopard Upgrade?
Collapse -
please clarify
by macnerd10 / October 8, 2012 10:21 AM PDT

I thought that any Intel Mac can be upgraded to Snow Leopard (in fact, that OS may be smaller and snappier than Leopard). Otherwise, one needs to buy any version of the desired OS (even 10.6) and then apply the last combo update once.

Collapse -
I can't do that. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2012 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: please clarify

You'll have to ask Apple why they note 8.1 and you have a 7.1 iMac. All I know is to keep out of trouble, I use their site to figure this out.

There are a few die hard Mac Pro owners that figured out it was the video card but since you don't have a Mac Pro, I didn't look into that.
Bob

Collapse -
I asked because of this link
by macnerd10 / October 8, 2012 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: I can't do that. Why?
Collapse -
Which only proves
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2012 12:21 PM PDT

There are more that work. Imagine if I said yes and you found an issue. It's a matter of "is this supported?" No. It might work but your average Apple user demands to be in the supportable zones.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) fair enough!
by ljubimov / October 8, 2012 3:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Which only proves
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.