Storage

General discussion

OS and Apps

by jamestony / October 15, 2008 10:16 AM PDT

Ok I have 2x1Tb drives in raid 1, should I have my OS and apps on the raid drives or would it be better to have them on their own seperate drive.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OS and Apps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OS and Apps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Backup matters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2008 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: OS and Apps

All that matters is your tolerance to risk. RAID 1 shows you are attempting to reduce data loss. The final issue to solve is where is the backup. Some continue to try to avoid the backup issue by implementing RAID 1. Later they discover that RAID 1 wasn't much a parachute. The trojan wipes both drives at the same time!
Bob

Collapse -
Backup matters
by jamestony / October 15, 2008 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Backup matters.

Thanks, but as good as that sounds having everything all in the raid drive, I think I should stick to having the OS and apps on one drive and raid-1 my storage drives, As far as what the manual on my motherboard(Asus P5E-VM HDMI) I can have non raid disks. It seems safer, if vista crashes or whatever I don't have to fear my data being lost with reinstalling vista.

And yes I will back up all of this to an external drive

Collapse -
Lots of different stategies covered in this forum. If
by VAPCMD / October 15, 2008 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Backup matters

you're still open to suggestion ...do some reading as many have shared their storage, partitioning and backup strategies.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
So where is the backup?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2008 9:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Backup matters

You say you backup to an external drive. But does that external drive have a WRITE PROTECT switch on it so you know when you connect it that the trojan that wiped the originals out won't do the same to your external?
Bob

Collapse -
So Where is the backup?
by jamestony / October 16, 2008 6:04 AM PDT

Hmm, I didn't know the external drives have this type of option. Now if I take an internal drive and put it in an enclosure to make it an external drive is there software that would give me this type of protection, or will I have to outright buy an external drive to get this type of protection.

Thank you again for all suggestions and insight to this ongoing issue, I didn't know how important backups where until I started reading these forums.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2008 6:43 AM PDT

My backup plans are in scale with how much I can lose. For instance I have no worry about much beyond our family photos. These fit on a few DVDRs. Next in line are the business files. These are on a secure ftp site, USB drive, USB memory drive and a DVDR with copies made when I need to make sure we have all bases covered.

This brings it down to something manageable. MP3 file collections can be replaced by tapping into the CD collection.
Bob

Collapse -
Massive Media Collections
by jamestony / October 16, 2008 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

I have a large mp3 collection that leaves me with only 6gb from an 80gb drive. So I bumped that up to 1Tb for extra space for movies. The only place I can think of to backup that much data is to an external drive. My pictures can definitely go on a cd's, but to duplicate 80gigs of data more than once is kinda hard.

So I have 2x1Tb raid-1, searching for 1x500gb external drive for backups only.

Collapse -
Which is typical in these forums.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2008 11:45 AM PDT

You find people struggling with such setups since the trojan, theft, oops I dropped the drive, flood, etc. happens and they then find out how much backup they had.
Bob

PS. think... lightning strike...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.