How To forum

Question

Ordering system for sandwiches etc..

by John_Spencer / November 12, 2012 7:47 PM PST

Hello, since short, in our company we have the possibility to order sandwiches/dishes from a caterer on friday. there are over 100 employees and this takes up way too much time. I would like to automate this system a bit. Maybe some of you could give me help.
The idea is this:

Every department (average 7-10 pple) has a list with the available sandwiches/dishes/desserts,... With a mouseclick, the items on this list are copied to a separate file (Notepad or something simple). Every department sends this file to the secretary, and she mails the separate list to the caterer.
After delivery (packaged separately per department), they can sort out amongst themselves who ordered what.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, JS

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ordering system for sandwiches etc..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ordering system for sandwiches etc..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: ordering system
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 12, 2012 7:56 PM PST

The solution that works the most easy is to make a some web-based program running on your Intranet.

Kees

Collapse -
re:
by John_Spencer / November 13, 2012 5:19 PM PST
In reply to: Re: ordering system

Make "Some web-based program" running on the intranet.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm no programmer, or I would not be posting my question here. Happy

Basically I would like to know if it's possible to make the items on a list clickable, and copy them in 1 new file.
I can make a Read/Only document, so they can copy/paste it into another file, but it would be nice to have something better.

Thanks, JS

Collapse -
That still seems like a little bit of programming.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 6:11 PM PST
In reply to: re:

Maybe not web-programming, but macro's in Excel for example.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:
by John_Spencer / November 13, 2012 7:58 PM PST

Appreciate your effort, but I'm in need of a bit more advice then just: do this or do that, especially when you dont seem to know the solution yourself. I'm no IT-guy, so I dont know enough about macro's to make one for this purpose.

Collapse -
In that case.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: Re:

Work with the tools you know and use the features you know.

Excel is a nice way to present lists and let people (the department secretary?) fill in something.
Copy paste is a nice way to copy separate lists to one overall-list (by the company secretary?).

Kees

Collapse -
Excel Spreadsheet,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 8:55 PM PST
In reply to: Re:

on your intranet, showing a list of available goodies.

One column per department.

Insert number of items per line

Secretary consolidates list at a certain time, calls it in. Then removes all the numbers from the department columns, ready for the next day.

P

Collapse -
Re: excel
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: Excel Spreadsheet,

This is more or less what I thought.

But several departments editing the same spreadsheet at the same time doesn't work well in Excel. So my thoughts were to give each department it's own spreadsheet (filling 1 column), mail it to the central secretary, who then copy/pastes that one column in the right column in her own spreadsheet, to fill the whole 'matrix'.
That's where a macro would be useful. And, having a macro that copies the column to that central spreadsheet, there isn't even a need to mail that file, because each department can just press the 'Order' button in its own spreadsheet.
But as long as macro programming is out of the question they will keep mailing, I'm afraid.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:
by John_Spencer / November 13, 2012 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: Re: excel

yes, the list should be availble per department to avoid the need for transactional databases and such. It can be very simple: Per department, they can just open the "sandwich list" next to an open email and copy/paste their order. The orderlist will be on 1 computer, so everybody takes a minute to order and then goes back to their space. Send mail to secretary. Done. I was this far before I started the topic.
But I was thinking about turning the items on the list into hyperlinks (or something), which autmatically, copy the item to an email/notepad/word-doc when clicked. But I will learn about macro's if that would give better results according to you guys.

Collapse -
Answer
Same problem at one of our offices. How we fixed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 11:29 PM PST

We now only let them pick from the menu. No custom orders. And it's a lot smaller. 3 sandwiches tops, 2 drinks and cookie or cake piece.

At some point you move from catering to cafeteria.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.