Dell

Resolved Question

OPTIPLEX 740 TURNS ON BY ITSELF

by newjersey-brit / February 12, 2013 5:15 AM PST

After nursing a Dimension3000 to an assisted suicide recently, I purchased a refurbished Optiplex 740 and it's been great for my needs, except for one puzzling anomaly; every morning at 530am, it turns on by itself. Due to my hibernate/sleep settings, it "sleeps" at 630, but I'm wondering how to fix this little problem. I've adjusted both network adapters to not wake the computer, but still it continues to happen. It never randomly powers down. Just powers up, every day. At 530am.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

newjersey-brit has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OPTIPLEX 740 TURNS ON BY ITSELF
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OPTIPLEX 740 TURNS ON BY ITSELF
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by newjersey-brit

Collapse -
Auto Power On
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / February 12, 2013 5:54 AM PST

Hi newjersey-brit,

Please access BIOS by pressing F2 key at Dell logo.
Navigate to 'Auto Power Time' option listed under 'Power Management' and press Enter. Check if the time is displayed as 5.30 AM.

Navigate to 'Auto Power On' and check if 'Everyday' or 'Weekdays' is selected. Use the left arrow key to highlight 'Off' and press Enter. Press 'Esc' key, select 'Save/Exit' and press Enter.

Here is the video for your reference: http://youtu.be/84xqHD-dyCk.

Hope this helps.
Please revert for any further queries.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Yes!
by newjersey-brit / February 12, 2013 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: Auto Power On

Perfect, thank you!

Collapse -
Thanks for the response
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / February 18, 2013 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: Yes!

I am glad the issue is resolved.
Here is the Owner's Manual for your reference.

Feel free to revert for any further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.