Desktops forum

General discussion

Optical mouse stopped working, please help.....

by vt53040 / February 19, 2007 11:07 PM PST

I just bought my new computer. An HP Pavillion a1777c. Vista Premium OS, 2 GB Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Processor. Running on a 60 day free trial of Norton Secuity Suite. It has an HP wireless Optical mouse and keyboard. My keyboard still functions properly, but the mouse stopped working and the pointer froze AFTER my 15 month old pushed buttons on the keyboard and mouse. I've tried reinstalling the driver, no luck, recnnecting the USB, no luck, trying to reestablish a connection w/receiver, no luck, changing the batteries, no luck, doing an on-line live chat w/an HP rep, no luck (all he had me do was reinstall the driver). I even tried to do a System Restore, no luck, and now I can't UNDO my restore point because of a system file error.

What could be wrong here, and how do I fix it???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Optical mouse stopped working, please help.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Optical mouse stopped working, please help.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look in the instructions on how to PAIR the mice and kbd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2007 11:43 PM PST
Collapse -
Sync not working...
by vt53040 / February 20, 2007 12:11 AM PST

I followed step 3 on the abve, and my receiver light never stops blinking. It keeps flashing and the mouse won't operate. Why would it work for half the day and then just quit? Could it really be some button my son fooled around with????

Collapse -
Forgot something...
by vt53040 / February 20, 2007 12:13 AM PST

I got this system as a bundle from Costco and there were no specific setup instructions for the mouse and keyboard, just those diagrams on the undersides and a diagram fold out that shows the same thing as step 3 on the Microsoft site (minus the steady light).

Collapse -
Which is a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2007 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Forgot something...

I couldn't find the exact instructions for your device so I had to settle for the generic version. Again, it's a push button on one thing then the other. I can't know which order is needed for your hardware given HP didn't make it easy to find.

I also don't have the part numbers of the mouse and keyboard to work with either. Be sure to tell whoever works on this these trivial details.

Collapse -
by vt53040 / February 20, 2007 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: Which is a problem.

I trie dpunching in the serial and product numberson the HP site and it doesn't even support my mouse! I talked to another HP person online and went to their web site for help w/mice and keyboads, but their solutions didn't work. My mouse serial number is bm65002844 (49Mhz)and the part number is 5188-3572 rev:1.3.

Everywhere I've looked and everyone I've talked to says about the same thing. My device manager even states the mouse is working properly (I find that funny, since I'm about ready to throw the darn thing through the window).

Reistalling, updating, unplugging USB's, pressing buttons DO NOT work. Maybe my mouse is just defective. But it worked yesterday, so I don't think it just became "defective" all-of-a-sudden.

I bet there is something really stupid that I'm overlooking and it's right under my nose. I'd hate to take my entire system back to Costco for a replacement all because of some silly mouse! Beside, the keyboard works just fine and every other mouse and keyboard I plug in, beit wired or wireless optical, they ALL work. It's just this 1 HP wireless optical mouse that came with the stupid system that's causing all my headaches!!!!

If you or anyone can think of ANYTHING that I could be missing, PLEASE tell me......Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Ok that helped a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2007 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: numbers..

But it didn't get me any exact instructions. showed me the ID button on the one part and there are similar on the mouse and kbd.

The usual trick is to first make sure the batteries are fresh then push the ID button in the one unit then the next unit and repeat for what parts you need to pair up.

Sorry but the exact instructions are missing.

Collapse -
FOUND IT. It's not intuitive or like the others.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2007 3:58 AM PST

" Reset the keyboard and mouse connections:
NOTE: The following connection sequence must be completed within 60 seconds.

Press the Connect button on the receiver once.
Press and release the recessed connect button on the underside of the keyboard. When you release the button, make sure it does not stick in the depressed position.
NOTE: If problems persist after resetting AND there is another wireless keyboard or mouse near, use these steps again, holding down the keyboard or mouse button for ten seconds. Doing so may give the keyboard or mouse a new ID number, in case the other keyboard or mouse was using the same number.
Press the Connect button on the receiver again.
Press and release the recessed button on the underside of the mouse. Make sure the connect button does not stick in the depressed position."

Collapse -
HP site....
by vt53040 / February 20, 2007 6:11 AM PST

Sorry Bob, but I went to that exact site before (the HP rep hadme go there too), and it didn't help. I talked to Costco and they are willing to replace my mouse and receiver, because it could be either causing the problem. I'm going up there tonight, and HOPEFULLY this will have fixed the issue!

I appreciate all your help, you've helped me on many things before when I had my dinosaur system from Dell, and you're very patient!

I'll let you know how the new mouse works......

Collapse -
Just a few last things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2007 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: HP site....

New batteries?

If you do have such a site, save others time by supplying it. I think it took me more than 10 minutes to hunt that down.

Collapse -
Hunting down Hp site....
by vt53040 / February 20, 2007 11:19 AM PST

Hey, I appreciate it, but I wasn't expecting you to do all that "hunting". It never crossed my mind to supply "others" with such a reference, like you say. I'm sorry if you took my feedback above the wrong way (it sounds like you're PO'd from your response). I wasn't trying to sound sarcastic... never was the intention. Honestly, I thought the webpage the HP rep gave me was only something he had and wasn't such public knowledge. My problem is fixed, so you don't need to "hunt" anymore. My receiver was malfunctioning, not the mouse, and needed to be replaced, and it has been. Thanks.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.