Computer Help forum

Question

Optical drive..

by presp_2 / April 30, 2013 9:23 PM PDT

I have a Samsung R580 laptop that runs Win7 64-bit. I am experiencing issues with my Blu-Ray disc drive. I had just watched 2012; everything worked OK. However, when I put another disc in and opened Media Player, the disc wouldn't read. Then my system did not detect the drive at all. It wouldn't even open. I had to use a pin to manually eject the disc. I admit that after I retrieved the disc, I didn't have it seated properly in the drive. I, then, reinserted said disc and tried to play it. Nothing. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for it. The system detected it for a while, then it would disappear from my Device Manager list. I would then restart a few more times to get the system to see it, but no response. My optical drive is now invisible to the system.
I should note I had just had this computer's hard drive replaced because it had fell on a tile floor just over a week ago. I got this computer back two days ago and started it yesterday. Disc drive was OK then.
Any thoughts..is it pretty much shot? Is it a driver or hardware issue? I plan to open it up tomorrow and inspect the hardware. Thank you for any info or tips offered. Let me know if any clarification is needed.
Thank you for your time.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Optical drive..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Optical drive..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The problem with a dropped laptop
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Optical drive..

Is that just like a crashed car that was just repaired, something else may fail. Back to the shop for them to look at the machine again. My bet is they'll replace this drive next.
Bob

Collapse -
Optical drive...
by presp_2 / May 1, 2013 12:15 AM PDT

....Thank you for your reply.
I originally selected this laptop because I had wanted one with blu ray for a decent price (was south of $1,000).
I had no problem with said drive initially. It was after I finished watching 2012 and put in Iron Man 2 that this problem started. Like I said, I will open it up tomorrow and see what's up. I'll post my findings here.

Collapse -
I forgot to write thank you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Optical drive...

It's nice to read all the details. Some folk don't tell all and we lose a lot of back and forth. The problem with these BD/DVD drives is they are actually two drives in one. If you do the research into how it works you find the laser is actually two lasers with different lenses for each technology.

Something about being more complex does not work in its favor.

There's another issue with BluRay overall and that's its copy protection is "a bag of hurt" that can cause odd things like what you noted and a reboot could let it play the next disc. In my view, all the DRM and copy protection has reached a point where you are seeing failures that would have not been noticed if they had gone with "what works."
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Face it...
by Willy / May 1, 2013 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Optical drive..

That at least you're honest, the disc was mounted wrong. Here, you have to accept that the mechanism that is the R/W of the BD player got hosed. In spite of your recent problems since it worked OK before you mounted the other disc. The result is now the BD drive is kaput. You may want to play all you want to try to recover but this is the result of h/w fault at its simplest, broken drive. Get another BD drive to replace the one you have or similar.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Optical Drive..
by presp_2 / May 1, 2013 4:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Face it...

In one of my successful attempts to manually eject the disc (the old-fashioned hairpin method), I saw that the disc wasn't properly seated on the spindle and was wobbling. Also, that the system would lose sight of it in the middle of my session was what was perplexing to me. I theorized that maybe the guys who had worked on this computer somehow loosened the drive's connector to the motherboard. I hadn't taken the computer apart yet to see because this morning I turned on the laptop and the drive is there. Am about to see if it plays.
Also, the 2012 blu ray disc played, it was when I tried to play my Iron Man 2 DVD that the problem started.
On my original HD, I had Roxio PowerDVD8 preinstalled to view my blu ray discs. Do not have that available any more so I scoured the Internet for a free Blu Ray media player. Found a couple, settled on VSO. I had to download a third-party program called AnyDVD to decrypt the Blu Ray disc before playback (latter program is a 3-week trial). I gather there aren't that many free blu ray media players out there.
Oh..another quick question: ever since I got the computer back, none of my onboard Windows troubleshooting diagnostics work. I would receive an error message stating that something like an error prevented the troubleshooter to start..Any thoughts on that? I went into the Event Viewer to see if I could find something. Did not.
Also, thank you all for your input. I have posted in these forums before and each time have seen very helpful replies to my inquiries.

Collapse -
That's true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Optical Drive..

Folks for years have reported that "nothing" is noted wrong in event or device viewers with bad optical drives. This often slows down the replacement of a bad drive.

If you found the media was not on the spindle proper that's a good find and let's hope it was just some pilot error.
Bob

Collapse -
Upon checking...
by Willy / May 1, 2013 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Optical Drive..

I don't know the scope of the repair other than what is expected. Some laptops are more difficult to work with as in repair, but as always I suggest you check the work. Since this is a laptop that is asking alot. It's just that my experience with any drive, CD/DVD/BD that when a problem arise it's usually the h/w, excluding some possible s/w issue. Afterall, most laptops do come with the required s/w in order to use the BD to make use of it. if that wasn't the case, then I suspect that's unusual. So whatever player was present should have worked. before any drive becomes available during boot, it's acknowledged, if not it won't be available. if it can pass that test, then the more demanding task of usage falls on player s/w and actual mechanism being operable. In most cases the timing is off or the tracking as expected is off, so it won't work right or become available. Since, this in most cases isn't repairable its better to just replace, excluding minor checks/tests.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.