TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Optical Cable - Which is Best?

by apirogovsky / July 20, 2005 12:29 AM PDT

I am hooking up a Yamaha receiver/amplifier, a Yamaha SACD carousel cd/dvd player, a sony plasma and Bose Acoustimass speakers.

I need optical cables. I can get Audioquest's Optilink-G for $40/meter; Acoustic Research is about $27/6'. Is there a difference between the two? Are either or both THX Certified?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Optical Cable - Which is Best?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Optical Cable - Which is Best?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by apirogovsky / July 20, 2005 12:39 AM PDT

There's also, obviously, Monster Cable, which is THX Certified for about $40 a pop.

Collapse -
Which Optical Cable to pick...
by slmosqueda / July 20, 2005 12:49 AM PDT

Contrary to alot of marketing hype, any $20 or less optical cable will be suffice. Just make sure it has a fairly thick sheathing to make sure that the glass fiber or plastic core is protected and the reflective material around the core is well protected.

Monster, THX certified on and on and on, wouldn't worry about them. While the THX brand certainly has gone through a rigorous testing process to meet the THX standard, it really will not make a difference in sound quality. It just means it has met the THX standard and now you get to pay more.

Trust me, this comes from years of installing sound sytems, your ear will never be able to hear what the expensive lab equipment can.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC

If you would like to contact me, click on the profile link below.

Collapse -
by apirogovsky / July 20, 2005 1:13 AM PDT

Thank you!

Collapse -
need advice
by srupp9271 / March 24, 2008 7:27 AM PDT

I read your response and you sounded like someone who knows what he is doing,so i hope you don't mind if i ask you for some advice,first I'll tell you my system,anthem avm 30 processor,ati amps, linkwitz orion main speakers,sony cx 455 (juke box)cd guessis that the sony cd players are the weakest link in my system right now.well anything to improove sound!i do like the fact that i have all my cds in 1 place and can remotely controle it,i've been looking for an upgrate to the cd players but there seems to be only singel cd players that might make it better,i've looked at the escient fire ball,or i've thought about sotring all my music on a pc,i'm using right now a soundblaster sound card for my pc but i've tryed it if dosn't improove the cd player.i would be very thankful for any advice,claus ps my only real interest is in musik moovies and dvds i'm not to worried about

Collapse -
hey nice stuff
by jostenmeat / March 25, 2008 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: need advice

linkwitz orion powered by Anthem. Noice.

anyways, my 2 cents, I think Monoprice opticals are about $2, and they are easily the thickest optical cables I have seen.

Collapse -
Is there a difference between the two?
by jcrobso / July 20, 2005 3:59 AM PDT

Yes there is! $$$$$$$ for the Audioquest and $$$ for the Acoustic Research. Your ears will never hear the difference and even the expensive test gear may not be able to tell the difference eather. john

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you see one called 'Monster Cable'? They are good.
by jonline / July 20, 2005 11:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
With Digital cable quality doesn't matter
by hoopsjake2009 / December 27, 2008 12:35 PM PST

With digital as long as you are getting sound, the 1s and 0 are getting through, and it will be the same 1s and 0s any cable will transfer. Having a better cable with make NO difference as long as the signal is getting there. (this goes for optical and coaxial Audio and HDMI/DVI, usb and any other digital cable you can think of. Buy from Monprice, I got one that is like 15ft for like 5 bucks.

Collapse -
by dinox64 / December 27, 2008 12:51 PM PST

Collapse -
by Riverledge / December 27, 2008 1:56 PM PST
In reply to: Monoprice

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.