Sony forum

General discussion

Optical block . . .

by Coryphaeus / September 6, 2009 10:24 PM PDT

My KDS-55A2000 SXRD developed a yellow cast to all pictures. Purchased in 2006 I also purchased an extended warranty through Mac Camera. I contacted Mac Camera and described the problem. They sent me to Sony Support. After describing the problem they surmised it as an optical block problem. The tech also said that Sony had extended its warranty on this device.

I got a phone call a few days later from a Sony repair center to verify the problem. They ordered the part and it will be replaced this week.

My experience? No hassle. My extended warranty is not used as Sony is covering the repair.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Optical block . . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Optical block . . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Congratulations
by simply_bill / September 9, 2009 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Optical block . . .

O.K. Sony one Wega repair down only 175,000 more defect Optical Blocks left to go. It is odd that Sony jumped through hoops for you while they have turned a deaf ear to every other Wega owner. You have to wonder why you, when they are fighting 3 class action lawsuit on the same part in order not to replace them and paid $1.6 million in one law firms legal fees. Do you have some secret number that the rest of us Sony owners have missed? As someone who has two 55" Defective Sony Wega sets, I wonder why Sony loves you more?

http://getsatisfaction.com/sony/topics/sony_grand_wega_optical_block_issue

Collapse -
Optical Block Problem
by souri amirani / September 11, 2009 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Congratulations

I am one of those who just started having this issue. I have called Sony and all they asked me to do is to get an authorized Sony repair man to identify the problem and call them back. so far they have not rejected my claim yet and I am crossing my fingers! but not holding my breath based on what I read. I found out the class action lawsuit was only for certain models. does anyone aware of the KF-Wega 50"? i want to sign up as soon as possible. thanks!

Collapse -
OB KF-50W610
by souri amirani / September 11, 2009 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Optical Block Problem

ok , i am on the phone with Sony and they are giving me the same line- warranty is over!!! they are offering me a discount on a new TV! Big Deal.........i am not buying another Sony. Only accept a free Sony. that's the only way a Sony TV will come to my house!! I am mad and will fight this. hope others will join on a class action lawsuit on all rear projection sony lcd

Collapse -
BLUE SPOTS
by wj12345 / June 8, 2011 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Congratulations

Looks like I'm joining the Wega wining club... just started getting the blue spots on my Sony 60". I bought the TV 1-19-2005. I guess I will start by logging a call to Sony..?

Collapse -
Sony basically tells me to go blow
by oslo81 / September 12, 2009 4:40 AM PDT

I have the KDF-55WF655, and Sony Executive Customer 'Service' (Hank LeClaire - direct line 239 768 7625) gave the usual song and dance ($1350 for a tv that is already worth less than that, or 40% off an optical block repair), and then stonewalled. I have a new Toshiba 50" LCD on the way, and the KDF will soon be dremelled into chunks and scattered over Sony's Headquarters (it's final wishes).

We are done with Sony here. And we had Sony EVERYTHING.

ps. you can reach Sony CEO Howard Stringer here (howard_stringer@sonyusa.com), but he could give a crap. And I think that email address gets directly routed to Hank anyway...

Collapse -
don 't give up yet on getting back at Sony!
by souri amirani / September 12, 2009 5:38 AM PDT

Here's what I saw on the "getsatisfaction" web site regaring the OB issue. Alan write that he has a lot of resources and collected information how to let the Public know about Sony TV issues. hisemail address is:nolan17292020@sbcglobal.net
and I have pasted his comment below.

alan replied 1 month ago
anyone else have the kdf55 we655 model in michigan I have been advised legally that EVERYONE should take sony to small claims court can anyone tell me who i should serve the papers to in michigan and after all the hurdles sony has put all of us thru I have been advised to sue for the maximum amount your small claims court allows you to sue for . Simple fact Sony already has admitted deceptively that the o.b. are defective by offering to replace them up until dec.31 2008. the funny, sad, ironic however you want to put it is i have owned this tv for 3 years paid $3000 for it and sony has already replaced the o.b. on my tv once although i had to pay half the cost and here i am 2 years later with the same problem they claimed they fixed with the overwhelming evidence we all have take sony to small claims court in your state its a slam dunk that sony will pay then and some why continue wasting our time dealing with sony when they will not simply fix the problem this way we win and sony loose big time!!!! feel free to contact me nolan17292020@sbcglobal.net. Small claims court is the only way to get a quick and fair solution to this ever ongoing problem. keep in mind small claims judges or magistrates tend to be very symphathetic to consumers over greedy corporations who knowingly and willing deceive the American consumers in these difficult times we all endure.

Collapse -
I knew it was a fable
by simply_bill / September 12, 2009 7:22 AM PDT

I kind of feel like the post about a free repair was probably Sony's lame attempt at making themselves look good on this site. You know that ad where they show the chip on the end of the finger. I know if the camera had pull back what finger that chip was on.

Collapse -
Sony "Tech" support may be reading from a script
by pshelnut1 / September 12, 2009 8:37 AM PDT

I have the same TV KDF55WF655, same problem. My extended warranty, which I purchased from Circuit City, paid for the first Optical Block replacement in 2007. The warranty just ran out in April 2009. Now I'm starting to get the same blue blob. I called Sony today and got the run-around, same as everyone else. I mentioned that the new OB apparently was as defective as the first one. The "tech" said that extension that Sony provided us (out of the kindness of their hearts)expired 12/31/2009. I will NEVER purchase another Sony product and I will do my best to spread the word about their customer no-service and my disappointment with how they are handling the OB problems. I'm not a wealthy person, it took years for me to pay off this TV and I certainly can't afford the repair cost or another TV.

Collapse -
Minor typo...
by oslo81 / September 12, 2009 10:25 AM PDT

Expired 12/31/200'8'...

Collapse -
KF50we610 - optical block issue
by djkeyboard / September 14, 2009 6:29 AM PDT

I've had the tech to the house - paid the fee. I'm stuck now with the same options I've read here...call Sony and beg for help. How sad. I have a KF50we610. Been a great set until..... the blob. I can't imagine why Sony wouldn't just own up and make customers pleased. Do they not comprehend that RETURN customers are what keeps a company growing?? For 2K, the LG and Samsung LED units are starting to look really good to me......

I have yet to call Sony, so I'll be interested to see what kind of "customer service" I get for my 3K original purchase.

Collapse -
Post a youtube video
by conedreill1027 / October 1, 2009 2:46 AM PDT

I got a lame offer for $400 toward a repair which cost $869.00, or buy a discounted Sony for a bit over $1,300. I paid around $2,000 for this TV in 2005.
I think everyone should take a video of their damaged Wedga TV and state their issues with Sony and put it up on Youtube. A woman recently did that to Bank of America and boy did she get their attention. It was on the local news channels in NY and I imagine around the country. Get out the video cameras and lets all do it.!!!!!

Collapse -
Update . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 28, 2009 10:36 PM PDT

Forgot about this thread.

The guy came out and replaced the optical block, after dismantling the TV because it was buried.

Zero problems, zero hassle, perfect picture again. He also told me that the block would be covered indefinitely. If the problem happened again, call back.

Totally satisfied.

Collapse -
Optical block
by dmadden1192 / October 8, 2009 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Update . . .

Just got the green/yellow/red haze over my KDS-55A2000 model sony. Started 1 week ago. Called Sony and they noted it is an optical block problem. Sending a repair person on 10/12 and strongly told me that there is no cost to me for repair or service fees. Coverage is extended until June 2010 for optical blocks. Also they have a claim form if you had any out of pocket expenses for this problem. It is on Sony's website.
Do they use a NEW optical block or a refurbished one? Do they guarantee the replaced block for a certain time period?

Collapse -
Glad for you....bad for me.
by djkeyboard / September 29, 2009 4:52 AM PDT

Glad you had a happy time with Sony. My story is quite different. My set KF50we610, WAS part of the extended warrantee, but no longer is. As such, Sony wouldn't warrantee my optical block, which choose to go bad after the extended period....thanks Sony for putting ill fated parts in the equipment in the first place. After several hours on the phone with them, the best they would finally offer was a half off price....half off of a $1200 repair. So, I got stuck with a $600 repair bill, or would have to replace the TV for a coupld of thousand....and it sure wouldn't be another Sony!!

Collapse -
Optical Block Failure KDF55E2000
by giulio_g / October 15, 2009 6:09 AM PDT

I have a similar TV. KDF55E2000. It was manufactured in 2006. They have extended the warranty on the entire line of different sizes until June 2010. I put in a work order last weeka and they came out yesterday to replace the optical block however it was defective as well. They claim that it was a new optical block they were replacing but its not to reassuring that it arrived dead on arrival. Another one is on order and I will have to wait and see. They also claim that they have been redesigned and they have not had any further issues with it. I guess only another 3 years will tell. Good luck to everyone.

Collapse -
Optical Block problem as well!
by SparkyASundevil / November 16, 2009 9:52 AM PST

I have the KDF50WE655 with the same problem as the others who have posted here. Sent message to Customer Care and got the tired old, "Sorry" you were unable to take advantage of the extra warranty period. That is BS! The product is defective which they have admitted to. FIX THE SETS WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY ON THAT PROBLEM OR BETTER YET, REPLACE THEM WITH A NEW SET THAT WILL NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM!

The Sony rep has requested that we send a message to a guy named Tony. I have done that with no reply as yet.

Sign me up for any lawsuit. I am in Arizona.

Collapse -
Sony Optical Block
by conedreill1027 / November 16, 2009 10:17 AM PST

Hi Just so you know everyone is on facebook (Sony Electronics) their supposed fan site complaining. If you have a facebook account please go there and make a complaint.
I did hear from Tony that he is looking into the problem. Sony is not happy we're trashing them on facebook. So lets keep the pressure on and who know's if nothing else we know we pissed them off and they probably lost a bunch of customers. Good Luck

Collapse -
sony on face book
by oslo81 / November 16, 2009 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: Sony Optical Block

the facebook stuff is great, but its all relegated to the 'just fans' tab...

Collapse -
optical block
by travelbb1 / November 28, 2010 9:17 AM PST

from what I have read and being the owner of a KDS60A2000 that has optical block failure is if repaired the block will fail again. Major engineering issue that should not go away soon for Sony if everyone keeps speaking up. Go after sony for a new tv, extended warranty could be your worst enemy in this case.

Collapse -
sony optical block
by mjelic63 / January 25, 2011 3:47 AM PST

now sony will replace your tv for a LCD kdl46ex710 for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
or kdl60ex700 for $525 plus tax

Collapse -
sony optical block
by mjelic63 / January 25, 2011 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: sony optical block

till june 2011

Collapse -
Sony Tv replacement advice
by surferpaul / January 30, 2011 3:41 PM PST
In reply to: sony optical block

Hi, Having same problem with optic block (2nd time) and had turner go out on WE42-655 that I paid $2800 in 2004. Tech. confirmed it is optic block. Could you advise me on who to talk to get replacement TV offer. Thanks in advice. Paul.

Collapse -
Optical block color engine
by rickjunk001 / July 8, 2011 2:16 AM PDT

After reading everyone's
post I called Sony in regards to the green tint issue with my KDS-55A2000.
When I called I only mentioned the green tinting to see if you would
give me the runaround. After describing
the problem and giving them my model # they told me that there was a known problem
with the optical block or color engine. At
that time they gave me two options, the first was to have a repair man come out
at my expense because the TV was no longer under warranty. The second was to replace the TV with a KDL46EX500
for free or a KDL55EX500 for $200 + local tax.
I asked about the EX710 and EX720 but they said the offer was based on
availability. Good luck with your TVs
and thanks for the info, this site was very helpful.

Collapse -
bad optical block
by sonytv162 / December 29, 2012 12:42 AM PST

I had the same issues with a bad optical block with a green tint issue on a sony kf-50we610; less than 7 years old,,,,,I bought a rebuilt optical block via ebay and installed it myself,,,,,,if anyone is not comfortable with replacing the optical block and live in the Pgh area and has a sony lcd,,,,,,I will install it for them for $200.

Collapse -
problem kds 55a2000
by jhnlars / April 24, 2013 12:40 PM PDT

Does anyone know where i can really buy a optical block cheap other then ebay ?? And has anyone had anyluck with Sony they SUCK class action law suit and all the failures on all the tv light engines and optical block failures and they dont even do anything !!!

Collapse -
Sony
by Sony444 / May 29, 2013 9:05 PM PDT

Dear Sony

I am writing to you today because the other day I bought one of your headsets for a mobile phone, It certainly looks nice and the speakers are honeslty not the worst though you've decided to put the microphone over a foot below my ear. Now why have you done this?, I cant think of any proper headset that would have the microphone near someones belly button, I would probably say that this is not a headset at all, and I would also say that its advertised length of 1.2 meter is complete bullshit due to this very fact, I would probably say that this being labeled as a headset would be considered false advertising and by no means have any rated lifespan greater than a week.
Oh and the plug connectors, gold plated?, puny flakes of recycled gold powder already contaminated with god knows what glued on with god knows what basically toxic as hell and will gradually start to lose adhesion within a week?
Furthermore:
Your alarm clocks are a joke, they dont wake anyone up and certainly dont instill that sense of urgency to the morning that one used to get
Your car audio equipment is a joke, though I noticed you released a new speaker line, such christmas
I opened up one of your VAIO's and its PCB was about 3 inch by 3 inch, essentially nothing at all inside the device.
Your little AM/FM radios hardly make any sound at all, a reason you should kill yourself on behalf of your grandparents.
And, your new playstation 4 and its gay Gaigin developer, Ive read its pre-specs, not that they really make any difference to my opinion of what this overpriced (blessing) will be like, Im sure all its features and accesories are pretty much self explanitory.
and if you still havent figured out why I wrote this or what I am reffering to then the reason why I wrote it is because I felt like it.
ANTI-COPYRIGHT NOTICE: IF YOU FEEL LIKE REDISTRIBUTING THIS (TO WHOEVER ON EARTH YOU PARTICULARLY FEEL LIKE)THEN YOU HAVE EVERY ONE OF MY BLESSINGS TO DO SO. YOU CAN EVEN CHANGE ITS WORDS AROUND TO YOUR HEARTS CONTENT.
:)(:

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.