Samsung forum

Question

Optical audio to sound bar not working.

by syncmanatl / June 15, 2013 3:33 AM PDT

TV is UN55D8000, Sound Bar is Samsung HW-F450. Aux cable supplied with sound bar works great, but tried a ROCKETFISH optical cable and absolutely nothing happens. Have selected the D IN on sound bar. Red led light is coming thru cable to sound bar input from tv output. Possible problem, the cable connector wont seat properly. They can only go in one way, but hardly go into the socket and feel as tho they would easily fall out. Would this cause the non-working problem?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Optical audio to sound bar not working.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Optical audio to sound bar not working.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Another DUH moment.
by syncmanatl / June 16, 2013 9:48 AM PDT

First remove the Gelcaps from the ends of the connectors. All fine now. Just need to get "auto on", on the HW-F450, working. Do I need the HDMI cable for this?

Collapse -
Re: Optical audio to sound bar not working
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 18, 2013 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Another DUH moment.

Hi syncmanatl,

Glad to hear you got the setup working. Auto-power on is what you're looking for. It's on the second row from the top buttons.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Many thanks
by syncmanatl / June 18, 2013 9:51 AM PDT

Auto on working now. Should I be able to "pair" the sound bar with this particular TV? I don't see a "soundshare" setting anywhere on my TV sound menu or Tools menu. UN55D8000.,

Collapse -
Re: Many thanks
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 19, 2013 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Many thanks

Hi syncmanatl,

My pleasure to be able to help. Soundshare is feature introduced this year. So no, it's not available on your 2011 TV.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Anynet feature
by syncmanatl / June 22, 2013 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Many thanks

If i use HDMI cable setup, the anynet works for auto OFF, but not auto ON. The volume control on the remote then works for the sound bar which is good, but not the auto off. Any help?

Collapse -
Re: Anynet feature
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 24, 2013 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Anynet feature

Hi syncmanatl,

Thanks for your question! The HDMI setup will not automatically power it on, but it will automatically power it off. However, an optical connection will automatically power it on, but it won't power it off automatically.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.