TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Optical audio cable review

by twmd / January 29, 2009 9:05 PM PST

Looking for a review of optical audio cables. Need to connect a digital cable box and a DVD player to a 7.1 surround sound receiver. Prices for 3 foot optical cables range from $.87 to over $30. Some listed as multicore, others don't specify. What do I need?

A previous review on CNET of HDMI cables was easy to find and helped me make an informed decision. Searched the CNET web site but could not find a review of optical cables.

Thank you,

Tom

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Optical audio cable review
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Optical audio cable review
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
optical audio cables
by bearvp / January 30, 2009 12:26 AM PST

Just goto monoprice.com and order one that is long enough. Optical cables are pretty much all created equal as long as you aren't looking for cables 50ft and longer. Don't buy a $30 optical cable...ever. Monoprice's cables are of good quality and low price and many HT afficionados buy from monoprice.

Collapse -
What constitutes a quality fiber optical audio cable?
by twmd / January 30, 2009 8:55 AM PST
In reply to: optical audio cables

Looking for a review of optical audio cables. Need to connect a digital cable box and a DVD player to a 7.1 surround sound receiver. Prices for 3 foot optical cables range from $.87 to over $30. Some listed as multicore, others don't specify. What do I need?

Not looking for a place to buy cables, need to know what to look for in a quality cable. With any manufactured product, all cables are not equal.

A previous review on CNET of HDMI cables was easy to find and helped me make an informed decision. Searched the CNET web site but could not find a review of optical cables. Can someone direct me to a CNET review of optical audio cables?

Thank you,

Tom

Collapse -
Did you try fishing line?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 10:29 AM PST

On a lark I tried Monofilament fishing line since it transmits the digital optical signal. Just like copper wire transmits a signal and you have your twists and shields I would find it difficult to see what difference this cable could make from home made to 20 bucks.

Collapse -
Cable
by jasondtx / January 31, 2009 1:58 AM PST

Get a good quality cable, not a cheap internet buy. The better ones will be made of "ultra clear" fiber conductors that reduce distortion, have better shielding to protect the fiber, and use precision polished optical grade lenses (glass connectors instead of plastic). These stop reflections at the connection points for reduced jitter.

Collapse -
So what's wrong with home made?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Cable

Has the art of making simple items yourself been lost?

Collapse -
How do you know
by KenW_D / July 17, 2012 5:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Cable

When purchasing an optical cable how do you know what they're made of? Is it price alone that gives you a clue? I've gone on web sites and in the store and have not really found any discriptions of what the cables are made of.

Collapse -
Not to Amazon Basics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2012 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: How do you know

Did you check out the Amazon Basics cables? After a few, it's all I buy now.

Collapse -
That's a nod, not a not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2012 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Not to Amazon Basics.
Collapse -
Permanent or temporary installation.
by mjd420nova / July 18, 2012 8:39 AM PDT

If the installation is to be a permanent install, the cheaper cables will be good enough. If things are temporary, the more expensive cables will last longer with repeated plugging and unplugging. The connectors on each end are the most critical part and subject to dust and dirt when not connected, intransit or just hanging. Supporting cables after connected will also lead to longer life.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.