General discussion

Opinions On Microsoft Picture It!

by Fish / February 13, 2005 9:10 AM PST

How useful is this program?

Ease of use?

Compatible with XP with SP2?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Opinions On Microsoft Picture It!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Opinions On Microsoft Picture It!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rated 9.0 on ZDNet
by ChuckT / February 15, 2005 4:18 AM PST

According to ZDNet:
"Picture It blows the competition away with its variety of features and easy-to-learn interface."

It has a rating of 9.0, a VERY HIGH rating.

Read: Picture It review

Collapse -
Rated 8.0 on CNet
by ChuckT / February 15, 2005 4:23 AM PST

According to CNet:
"Picture It Digital Image Pro is the perfect outlet for digital photography fans who want to clean up their images without facing Photoshop Elements' steep learning curve."

Rated 8.0, which is also pretty high.

Read: Picture It Digital Image Pro 7.0 review

Collapse -
Microsoft PictureIt
by bobbymike / February 26, 2005 11:07 PM PST

I have 3 versions - Picture It Publishing 2001- Digital Pro 7 and Digital Pro 10 - they are the absolute best programs you could ever want ...
Picture It Publshing was my first one and the pro 7 and pro 10 are upgrades - they do quite a bit more than the PIP. If I were going to buy one I would
make it the Digital Pro 10 - worth every penny -
so easy to use - if you do lots of graphic work and photo work, this is all you will need. Great Programs .

Collapse -
Microsoft Picture It Publishing Won't Run Any More
by bedstuygirl / June 10, 2007 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Microsoft PictureIt

I have several versions of Microsoft Picture It Publishing (Gold 2001, Silver 2001, Platinum 2001 and Platinum 2002) and cannot get either of them to run on my computer.

To make a long story short ... PIP Gold 2001 USED to run, but my computer crashed back in March. I had to have it reset back to factory settings and reinstall all of my programs. The guy that worked on my computer updated it to IE7 and I noticed that some of my programs didn't work with IE7, so I uninstalled IE7 and rolled back to IE6.

All of my programs work EXCEPT Picture It Publishing ... not one version will work!

I cannot use my scanner with the Scanner icon (the scanner is listed under the Digital Camera icon!) but I can scan if I choose Digital Camera. And the program freezes up now.

The program worked perfectly until the crash and IE7.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Collapse -
You would have gotten better results
by PudgyOne / June 11, 2007 1:28 AM PDT

making a new discussion.

Microsoft Picture It Publishing has been discontinued. You might find what you are looking for here

http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=Picture+It

or here

http://forums.cnet.com/5238-7813-0.html?messageType=1&kw=Microsoft+Picture+It+Publishing&username=&forumID=&dateRange=all&maxHits=10

Now for the scanner part. Your scanner came with a disk. You should be able to install the drivers for the scanner with the disk. Same with a camera.

If these things do NOT work, do you have a recovery disk?

If so, then insert the recovery disk and restart your computer.

Press any key to boot with recovery disk.

Select install

yes to agreement

then choose recover.

It will take about 30 minutes, give or take depending on your processor. No programs or files will be lost. You will have to go to windows updates and reinstall them.

Before you recover Windows, Do you have the proper keys for your products?

If you're not sure, run Belarc Advisor

http://www.download.com/3000-2094_4-10643403.html

so you have your product keys.

Unistall Microsoft Picture It after you have the product key and before you recover.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
re: You would have gotten better results
by bedstuygirl / June 11, 2007 2:14 AM PDT

I will try these and let you know what happens.

Thanks!

Collapse -
My $1.01 opinion..
by John Robie / March 2, 2005 2:00 AM PST

I haven't used MS Picture It in several years. Before, I was comparing it to MGI PhotoSuite 2, which IMO the MGI was much better at the time. Through the years, I keep finding such good deals getting better versions of MGI PhotoSuite either free or less than $10 after rebates that I have stuck with them. I'm currently using MGI PhotoSuite 4, and like it. One thing I've always liked with MGI is the ability to click a photo out of file, resize it if necessary, and with another click, place that photo in the text portion of a email, rather than an attachment (which most people hate to open to avoid viruses).

Collapse -
Picture It 2001 & 2002
by nccoonmom3 / August 10, 2008 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: My $1.01 opinion..

I have just got " Vista " on my HP and Picture It won't work
on it.Any idea's what I can do?
Thank you

Collapse -
Picture It
by debypierce / September 14, 2008 1:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Picture It 2001 & 2002

I have the same problem. Did you find anything out?

Collapse -
Vista is frequently not backwards compatible
by sheinema / August 6, 2009 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Picture It

Roll your machine back to Windows XP or earlier. Then hope MS gets their act together with Windows 7

Collapse -
RE: Opinions On Microsoft Picture It!
by titaniumtux / October 30, 2008 6:13 AM PDT

It's indeed abandonware, so there's no guarantee it will work in new versions of Windows (no surprise for a Microsoft application).

You can try selecting the application and right-clicking, then going down to Properties and select the Compatibility tab. Then select an older version of Windows (say Windows 98) and try running it. A friend of mine got another abandonware app to work that way, but I couldn't test it seeing as I don't use Windows.

Another possible solution for the ambitious would be to run it in Wine in Linux or OS X (shucks they ought to release Wine for Windows).

It's also not free, so it must be purchased, and no one is selling it because it's abandonware. To top it off, the review is old, so it was awesome software for its time. Software can do so much more with less effort now.

Collapse -
Picture It Publishing Platinum 2
by leneybird / April 3, 2012 4:58 AM PDT
Blush I have had Picture It Publishing Platinum 2002 since it first came on the market. I am a senior citizen, and found I could do almost any kind of graphics or photo projects with this program. I have designed professional brochures, made personalized cards of all sorts, restored old photos, made photo collages, and many more projects of various kinds. This program, as far as I am concerned, is unequaled, for ease of use , and the variety of tools,and graphic designs, the possibilities are endless with this wonderful program! I currently run it on XP with SP2,

Leneybird
Collapse -
Picture It Platinum 2002
by arik1212 / June 20, 2012 3:19 AM PDT

I don't know what I would do without Picture It Platinum 2002 and thankfully, Windows 7 Professional allows me to install it and use it in XP mode. I have tried a number of programs when it comes to edges and frames but I always go back to Picture It. It's simple and effective. There may be other programs out there as good but likely there aren't any as easy to use.

Collapse -
Picture it Platinum 2002
by leneybird / June 20, 2012 6:20 AM PDT

Hi Ark 1212, I am so happy to hear that you got my favorite graphics program to run on WIN Pro 7! I just purchased a new laptop with WIN 7 Pro, and I assummed that I couldn't run PP , Now, hopefully if my 73 yr. old brain will co-operate, I will be in fine shape to do my photo and graphics projects on my new 'puter'. Thanks for the info!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.