PC Hardware

General discussion

Opinions on eVGA GeForce 7800 GS videocard

by Brandon Eng / April 14, 2006 1:40 AM PDT

My Leadtek 6800 GT card died (still under warranty; too lazy to send it back). I saw the 7800 card at CircuitCity on sale after rebate for About $280, see:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/eVGA-e-GeForce-7800-GS-Video-Card-256-A8-N506-/sem/rpsm/oid/144489/catOid/-13011/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do This is the non-overclocked version.

This particular card seems to have gotten very good reviews from tomshardware and other sites. What I'd like to know is other people's experience with this AGP card, or just opinions in general.

My concern is my power supply- it's only 350 watts; the 6800 I had ran just fine with the power supply. I think the card died from overheating. I slapped in my old ti4200 card and can still play Far Cry, Call of Duty, Doom3, etc. I just miss the eye candy. The system otherwise runs perfectly fine.

My system specs:
Asus P4P800 865 PE chipset (to the best of my recollection- not at home now)
1 gig 3200 ram running in dual-channel
Intel 3.0 GHz chip
Leadtek TV tuner card
Creative Audigy soundcard
2 DVD Burners-Plextor & Sony
2 WD HDs
XP Pro SP2

*Please* don't recommend that I upgrade my board; I just built this system last year and don't want to upgrade again. And please dont't suggest ATI; I'm an NVidia fan, and will remain one.

All comments/suggestions appreciated, and happy holidays to those that observe.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Opinions on eVGA GeForce 7800 GS videocard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Opinions on eVGA GeForce 7800 GS videocard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
your 350w ps is minimum spec
by ramarc / April 14, 2006 4:00 AM PDT

for the 7800gs. if you've got a top-notch, brand-name power supply, keep it and make sure you have proper ventilation.

if you have any doubts, a good quality power supply will be in the $70 range. you might also consider an antec sonata ii case (available at CC for about $120) which includes a 450W ps and 120mm fans.

Collapse -
I thought it might be
by Brandon Eng / April 14, 2006 2:26 PM PDT

Just kinda hoping someone had the card running on 350 watt psu with similiar hardware. I'd literally have to take my pc apart to put in another psu. I used to have a 450 in there. Really don't have the energy to take my pc apart. Anyway, went to CircuitCity today, and they didn't have the card. Maybe I should just get off my butt and send the 6800 card in for repair- 3 yr. warranty.

Thanks for your input.

Collapse -
RMA the card...
by nathanpsz2 / April 15, 2006 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I thought it might be

...get a new one, and in two years or so, build a new system with PCI-E.

Collapse -
yeah, I should
by Brandon Eng / April 15, 2006 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: RMA the card...

But I'm a lazy SOB, lol. I'll get around to it soon. Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What does RMA mean?
by hshagel08 / April 16, 2006 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: RMA the card...
Collapse -
Return Merchandise Authorization
by Brandon Eng / April 16, 2006 1:28 PM PDT

I live on the East coast, have to send my card to California just to get an RMA #, then who knows where the card goes to to get repaired- Taiwan, I think. I'm just lazy about these things, but if I got the ball rolling when the card died 3 months ago, I may have had it back by now- duh.

Collapse -
Video Card EVGA 7800 AGP
by islandporgy / April 16, 2006 4:30 PM PDT
In reply to: I thought it might be

I Bought the BFG 6800 GT AGP card in January If I had waited a week or two, The 7800 video AGP cards came out. I would have bought the EVGA 7800 AGP GS Superclocked for less money then what I paid for my BFG 6800 GT AGP. I read the specs on EVGA 7800 AGP Superclocked card and it is and outstanding Viedo card for the AGP Slot.
I am running a Thermaltake 680 watt power supply on my system which is more than enough power to push all off my hardware that I have in my system. 350 is the minimum power supply that you could run a video card like the 6800. And if you have a lot of hardware in your system then you are pushing it. I read around a month ago on one off the forums, that quoted how much watts each componet uses. If you intend on getting the 7800 Video card, get a larger power supply. (Be on the safe side)
Clik on the link bellow and go to the manufactures site to get the full spec of the Superclocked card.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322766
Good Luck:
Wendell H

Collapse -
thanks for the link
by Brandon Eng / April 21, 2006 12:38 AM PDT

Yes, this card has gotten very good reviews, and I was surprised that CircuitCity carries it. I have to take another look at my PSU just to make sure what I'm running on- I have a # of PCs in the house and I lose track, lol. Anyway, CC doesn't carry the SuperClocked version, they carry the lower end model which is fine for my needs. I was very happy with my 6800 card (not Ultra), so I figure I should be happy with the non-SuperClocked version.

Collapse -
First
by RaeAtkinson / April 14, 2006 2:39 PM PDT

i would get an AMD X2 of FX chip
or
anything less is not doing justice to that motherboard you have to use tow sticks wth dual core
i would go with 1 gig each for two gig total whichever burnrer is the faster, make it the master drive. on board sound cards are nice and that board is sweet

Collapse -
NT: It's an Intel board
by Brandon Eng / April 15, 2006 1:53 PM PDT
In reply to: First

Collapse -
Superclock e-GeForce 7800 GS CO w/ EVGA Top Plate
by rg7714 / April 14, 2006 4:35 PM PDT

I would go with this one. Superclock e-GeForce 7800 GS CO w/ EVGA Top Plate. Its core clock speed is 460. EVGA makes several different versions. There is a 375, 400, 430 and 460. You will pay about $325.00 online.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info
by Brandon Eng / April 15, 2006 1:57 PM PDT

CircuitCity has the lower end model. I'm tired of RMAing stuff and was thinking of buying from CC and getting an extended warranty where I can just bring it back to the store if it blows. They don't have any in stock now anyway. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be on sale soon, but this card seems to be pretty popular for those still with agp. I'll have to wait and see. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Opinions on eVGA GeForce 7800GS Videocard
by kaalki / April 21, 2006 6:49 AM PDT

I am running an older verision of the Asus card you have. I don't have two hard drives, but other wise we are pretty close. I would consider upgrading your power supply and more cooling is always better. I run a Antec 550 True Power.

As to the video card, my brother who suffers from techieitus rcommended the below card to me.

ATI All-In-Wonder X800 XT 100-714200 Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

You sound like you don't care for that so that is about all I have for solutions.

Evan

Collapse -
Thanks for input
by Brandon Eng / April 22, 2006 12:39 AM PDT

Yeah, I definitely have to take another look at my PSU- I know I used to have a 550, but somewhere along the line, among my many upgrades, I think I put it in another system- just thinking about replacing something relatively simple like a PSU is enough to give me a migraine. I've spent so much time in the past few yrs constantly tinkering and upgrading, I wasn't actually using my pc's.

I just have a bias towards Radeon- I know Nvidia works for me, so I'm sticking with them.
Appreciate your input, thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.