TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Opinions need between dvd players

by Iamperson / November 30, 2003 12:37 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Opinions need between dvd players
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Opinions need between dvd players
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Opinions need between dvd players
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2003 1:18 AM PST

I do not have the DV-363, but at 99USD from Walmart at http://tinyurl.com/q1dj it seems like a great deal.

I have played with the Pioneer and Panasonic models when and where I could and from memory, the Pioneer seemed to beat the Panasonic in a simple procedure. Power off, press the eject button, pop in a DVD and press the play button. That's all of two button presses and the time to start the movie was many seconds faster on the Pioneer.

A nagging issue is whether you find such models in stock about your part of the world.

It's just my opinion that I'd get the Pioneer because of playing with such in the showrooms and that I'm very pleased with the DV-250 at home.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Opinions need between dvd players
by Iamperson / November 30, 2003 10:06 AM PST

In the dv-363 product specs link, it says picture zoom "yes" and the model above this one says picture zoom "still picture" do you think since they specified that diffrence that the dv-363 will zoom in while movie is playing. Here a link to want i Really want to have in a dvd player. http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/dvd_players/homeplayers.asp#morefeatures (scroll down to variable zoom paragraph) Does your model have a zoom feature that is similar to the feature in the link

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Opinions need between dvd players
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2003 11:06 AM PST

"Variable Zoom Function
When watching a widescreen-format DVD movie on a conventional 4:3 aspect ratio TV, this feature allows you to enlarge the screen image in order to eliminate the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen."

That paragraph seems clear to me. I'll have to try the DV-250, just a few minutes....

Ok, Zoom is 2x and some others. Fixed aspect ratios and can pan around the screen while the movie plays. Unsure if such is that much fun, but it does remove the black bars, but you lose part of the image left and right.

Bob

Collapse -
Just looking at the spec.
by Art / November 30, 2003 2:48 AM PST

I would go with the Panasonic.

1. Less expansive.
2. DVD-ram (which may mean you can play mpeg files or put tons of mp3 in a dvd disk.
3. highMAT (whatever that is), it may come in handy someday. hehe (my 2 cents).

Collapse -
Panasonic S55
by Jay M / December 10, 2003 5:16 AM PST

I just got the Panasonic S55 and it's great. Smooth fast operation. Video looks great, sound is great. And it plays everything but 8-tracks

Collapse -
dvd players
by rronr / September 13, 2009 4:40 AM PDT

if you live in the states check out the yamaha dvd s1700 origional list price 400 available through e bay for 100 or less with free shipping. go to yamahas web site when you get to dvd players click older moldels the specs are great. very high signal to noise ratio, 1080p upconversion, 24 bit 192 audio sacd, dvd video

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.