Windows Legacy OS

Question

OpenMind download: get ActiveX warning in FireFox

by catemanhattan / June 12, 2013 1:03 PM PDT

Do I accept the ActiveX?

I have said 'No' twice, and the download stalls.

Can I assume that all CNet downloads are safe?

Thanks.
Cathie

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OpenMind download: get ActiveX warning in FireFox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OpenMind download: get ActiveX warning in FireFox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You sure about that?
by Jimmy Greystone / June 12, 2013 1:29 PM PDT

You sure about that? I ask, because ActiveX is an Internet Explorer only thing, so unless you're using something like IE Tab, you should never see ActiveX notifications in Firefox. Also, never assume any download from any site is safe. Every single file you download should be treated as suspicious no matter where you download it from. It is always possible that someone managed to quietly compromise the CNet Download.com servers and tamper with files. So always be wary no matter where you get the file from.

Collapse -
Then I should not download OpenMind from CNet?
by catemanhattan / June 12, 2013 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: You sure about that?

Very certain that that I am only running FireFox, and that the popup said Active-X. The popup seems to be from CNet.

However, I also have an Active-X warning in my services control area -- not in the regular services list, but in the extended list (which is empty -- or seems empty). I had not been able to use my WindowsInstaller, and found that WI was set to manual, and was not running. I was able to set it to automatic, and started it -- but then when I tried to install OpenMind, the Active-X warning popped up. That happened twice, and each time the install failed.

I am always wary, but I had assumed until now that CNet was safe.

XP SP3, Dell Latitude, FireFox 21, Avast and Comodo Firewall

Collapse -
Re: ActiveX
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 12, 2013 7:30 PM PDT

In this case I'd use Internet Explorer to download that program in stead of Firefox.

You'll get an ActiveX warning if your security settings are such that you get that warning. It's up to you to decide what to answer (yes or no). It seems that if you answer no the install doesn't work.

Since you don't tell what exactly you download from what Internet page, and moreover it's not clear if this happens during the download (storing the file on your hard disk) or during the install (running the downloaded file from your hard disk) it's impossible to give any advice on what to do.

Kees

Collapse -
Clarifying
by catemanhattan / June 13, 2013 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: ActiveX

Kees_B
I had said I downloaded OpenMind from CNet. Here is the exact "internet page" I downloaded from:
http://download.cnet.com/OpenMind/3000-2075_4-10476838.html?tag=mncol;1

Then I had tried to install it:
"but then when I tried to install OpenMind, the Active-X warning popped up. That happened twice, and each time the install failed."

XP SP3, Dell Latitude, FireFox 21, Avast and Comodo Firewall

Cathie

Collapse -
Correction: OpenMind link
by catemanhattan / June 13, 2013 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarifying
Collapse -
I tried it now.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 13, 2013 10:41 PM PDT

Sorry it took so long.

But first I went to my CNET profile by clicking on my username (top right on the screen) and set my preferences for download.com to NOT use the CNET installer. That might be essential!

Then I went to the product page your link points to and clicked on the "Direct download" link (immediately below the big green download butten. NEVER use that button, ALWAYS use the direct download link!

Then the download popup opened for a 38.5 MB file called openmind2_demo_en.ext. I chose to save it on my hard disk. NEVER run a program directly from that popup window, ALWAYS save it to your hard disk. No ActiveX warning, of course, since just downloading a file never gives one.

Then I closed Firefox and went to the folder the program was downloaded to. I clicked on it and the Wise installer started to run. No ActiveX warning, of course, since that only comes from inside a browser. And certainly not a CNET warning, because I wasn't connected to CNET then.

I didn't finish the install, because I don't need that demo. But I'm convinced that I wouldn't have received any ActiveX warning.

So probably you did something else than I did. But it's not clear what exactly. But I think it will work with you also if you do the same as I did.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.