Windows 8 forum

General discussion

Open Win 8 discussion

by YaHa96 / April 3, 2012 11:55 PM PDT

I have been using Win 8 consumer & developer preview for some time already, and I would say it's impressive, even on my old core 2 duo laptop. I would like to share my opinion as well as hear yours.

In my opinion, Metro UI is no worse than 'normal Start' that has appeared since Windows 95. In 'normal Start' you can't also interact with the programs on the desktop, so making it a full screen app doesn't matter to me. I also appreciate the changes in Win Explorer, the Office-ribbon style is quite cool and useful. The Metro Start makes it even more useful, displaying weather, calendar and many other information which makes sense in internet-connected computers these days.

But I don't like the inconsistency between Metro and 'normal desktop' in Win8. For instance, clicking photo files in desktop mode launches app in Metro's Photo app, which is very annoying. The same goes too for music and video files. Win 8 isn't smart enough to shut off the Music Metro app when I launch WMP. For a PC user, frequent switching between Metro and desktop is frustrating.

I also wondering how truly touch devices like tablets will be able to use the most out of Win 8. The metro app is certainly usable by desktop user but I doubt touch users will be able to use the desktop mode, as it is just as poor-optimized as Windows 7.

Though said, there's still time to improve it, hope Microsoft just makes more obvious reasons for us to update. So, what do you think?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Open Win 8 discussion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Open Win 8 discussion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Open
by samkh / April 4, 2012 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Open Win 8 discussion

defaults to Metro apps when such exist in W8, so that they can sell you more stuff thru those apps. After all, these days it's about making it easy for you to buy more stuff via the ecosystem. You can re-link file extensions to your favorite apps to thwart the designers. But you are right, it is annoying and time wasting. Seems like the whole strategy of Metro is to make it harder to avoid MS grabbing your wallet. Shouldn't have to do that when you are paying for the OS...but then there is still W7 for near future, Linux or maybe even OSX (wait, then there's iTunes). Where, oh where can we hide?

Collapse -
Agree
by YaHa96 / April 4, 2012 8:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Open

I agree to your point of view about Microsoft's financial motives in making Metro, but then again, PC environment (also Mac) is much more prone to piracy than small closed-ecosystem devices such as iOS or WP. For me Metro existence itself doesn't make me sick ( I like the idea of weather, calendar, e-mail information pop out in Start) but what can a normal desktop do to use the most out of it without additional hardware (e.g touch screen mirroring device) ?

Seems Microsoft is going to take our money in both softwares and hardwares.

Collapse -
I am not familiar with Windows 8
by flygrass / April 16, 2012 2:06 PM PDT

I have tried to use Windows 8, But it is hard to use for me, maybe I have familiar with windows7

Collapse -
Re Windows 8-
by andreaborman / April 22, 2012 10:29 AM PDT

I have installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview on 2 of my netbooks. That had Windows 7, but now run Windows 8 as the only OS. In this version of Windows 8 you can no longer disable the Metro theme like you could in the Developers Preview. But you can install as third party software like Classic Shell which works on Windows 8. And will give you both the start orb and Windows 7 or XP start menu. See here-http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Another alternative is Start Menu 7 that also puts the start orb and Windows 7 start menu into Windows 8. But Classic Shell is the best one as it has the most features. And the advantage of Classic Shell is that it takes over your Windows key so you don't get the Metro start menu,when you press the Windows key.You get the Classic Windows 7 start menu. So you only see the Metro start screen on start up, and hardly deal with it at all.

I have installed Classic Shell on my Windows 8. And not only that but most of the Windows XP and Vista software works on Windows 8. Including the games from Windows XP and Microsoft Entertainment Pack Puzzle Collection for Windows 95 and Windows NT work on Windows 8.

Because I am running Windows 8 on a netbook the Metro apps don't work so I uninstalled them. And I am using the normal software I use on Windows 7and Windows XP. All of which works.

There is just one problem I have which is a bug that Microsoft have not fixed yet. And that is when you have opened files in Windows Explorer several times you can no longer right click with your mouse. So you have to restart the computer,then right click is restored. I don't know why this is. But I think we will have to wait for the next edition of Windows 8 before this is fixed.

But apart from that Windows 8 is very usable and more so if you install the start menu software like Classic Shell. then you have the " traditional" Windows 7 start menu you are used to. Andrea Borman.

Collapse -
Did you
by samkh / April 22, 2012 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Re Windows 8-

install the April patch? I did, and it fixed another bug I had found on CP.

Collapse -
Samkh,re April Patch-
by andreaborman / April 23, 2012 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you

Samkh,I have looked on the Microsoft website about the updates,patches for April 2012 and there is no April patch for Windows 8. And I have set my Windows 8 to automatic updates but the only updates I get are definitions for Windows Defender.

And I have found that although you can manually download updates for Windows XP,Vista and 7 from the Microsoft website.There are no updates that can be downloaded from the website for Windows 8. Probably because it is not officially supported yet.

I would like to be able to get that bug with the Windows Explorer fixed. So that the right click with the mouse does not stop working after I have opened several files. Then I have to restart the computer and right click is back again. But I would like to be able to fix that. But it they have not made a patch or an update for this on Windows 8. And the updates that you can download manually from the Microsoft website are for Windows 7 so won't install on Windows 8. So I did not get the April patch it seems. Andrea Borman.

Collapse -
When you
by samkh / April 23, 2012 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Samkh,re April Patch-

view Update History you will see all updates that have been installed, manually or automatically. You could look at the KBs to see what they fixed. Maybe MS has not released the fix for your issue yet.

Collapse -
Samkh,Re Windows 8 updates-
by andreaborman / April 23, 2012 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: When you

Well Samkh,on Windows 7 and Windows XP ,if you missed an update or it failed to install,you can download it manually from the Microsoft website. But there is no such option for Windows 8. As all of the security updates patches are for Windows XP,Windows Vista and Windows 7 only not Windows 8. So if I download a Windows 7 update it won't install on Windows 8.

When you first install Windows 8 you get first time updates but you don't get very many, like on Windows XP or 7. After that you just get updates for Windows Defender. At least that is all I get now. I am running the English version of Windows 8 CP. It is the same version most people have got. Andrea Borman.

Collapse -
NOPE
by samkh / April 23, 2012 8:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re Windows 8 updates-
by andreaborman / April 29, 2012 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: NOPE

Well I have manually installed a few Windows updates of my own on Windows 8 from the Microsoft website. As you know we don't get many updates that we should be getting,like we do on Windows 7.

I installed Microsoft.Net frame work,3.5 and 20 downloaded manually from the website. I also installed Direct X 9,10 and 11 that is installed as an update manually and Virtual C Re-Distributable manually. And also Malicious Software Removal Tool-MRT manually. As for some reason we don't get that on Windows 8 either.Maybe that will help Windows 8 run more smoothly.

Also there is now a Ribbon Disabler for 32 bit Windows 8 CP at Win Aero .com Here- http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.20

This disables the ribbon in Windows Explorer and makes it look like Windows 7 Explorer. But if you want the ribbon back again,you just run the tool again. But I don't think that the ribbon is anything to do with the mouse click problem I had in Windows Explorer.

Some people might want to disable the ribbon, but it has not given me any problems. But what would be more useful to most people would be a Metro disabler. Like we could do on Windows 8 Developers Preview. But even though we can no longer disable Metro on CP we can at least use Classic Shell and other start menu software.To get back the Windows 7 start button and start menu. Which is what I will use(Classic Shell or Start Menu 7) when the final version of Windows 8 goes out on sale. Andrea Borman.

Collapse -
re
by kitykat777 / June 12, 2012 7:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you

totally agree, their are patches out their that can solve the problem.
try getting some

Collapse -
Just a note
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 22, 2012 10:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Re Windows 8-

What are you going to do when your Windows 8 CP times out and expires on these two computers?

Mark

Collapse -
Re just a note-
by andreaborman / April 22, 2012 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a note

Well Mark, Windows 8 CP does not expire until January 2013 which is a long time yet. So I and other people can use it for another 9 months.

But they will also be bringing out an RC version in the mean time and we can upgrade to that if we want to. I have got an external USB DVD drive that I plug into my netbooks. And I installed Windows 8 from the DVD I made by burning the ISO file onto it.

And I have also bought several Windows 7 Home Premium full installation CDs ,so that when the time comes and I can no longer use Windows 8 CP or RC I can reinstall Windows 7 on my netbooks again.

You know that you can only activate Windows on one computer. That is one product key per computer,you cannot use the same product key on more than one computer. Because Windows won't activate on the second computer. If you have already used the same product key to activate Windows on another computer.That's why I have bought several Windows 7 full installation CDs each of them have a different product key.

It also means that when I buy a Windows 7 laptop,I can do a clean install of Windows 7. Which is better as you don't get all of that branded and unwanted HP or Dell software that the makers put on it. You just get a clean install of Windows 7.

So when Windows 8 CP is no longer supported (but I am going to install the RC version when it comes out.) I and other people will either buy Windows 8 from the shops if it goes out on sale. And install it on my netbooks. Or I can reinstall Windows 7 again.

If you buy an external USB DVD dive that you plug into your netbook using the USB plug socket you can install any version of Windows as long as you have the installation CD. then you activate it using the product key that comes with the copy of Windows you have bought. So I have got my Windows 7 CDs in case i need to install Windows 7 again. But if the final version of Windows 8 that goes on sale in the shops is like CP. Then I will buy it and install it on my netbooks. Andrea Borman.

Collapse -
er....
by kellysaveladybug / April 28, 2012 9:28 PM PDT

unlucky , win8 haven't appeared my country ...

Collapse -
Re: windows 8
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 28, 2012 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: er....
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.