Android forum

Question

open msg files in dropbox

by Molyslip / February 10, 2012 1:35 AM PST

All my incoming e-mails open perfectly on my ASUS Transformer Prime. However, in Dropbox stored msg files won't open. Is there a solution or app to solve?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: open msg files in dropbox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: open msg files in dropbox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) What app did you install to handle MSG files?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 1:37 AM PST
Collapse -
No specific app was used.
by Molyslip / February 10, 2012 1:49 AM PST

For all incoming e-mails, including Outlook, just used Sync setting within ASUS Prime.
The problem is opening stored msg (e-mail) files within Dropbox. Hope this helps,

Collapse -
You have explained why it doesn't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 1:51 AM PST

Now the next task is for you to select some app that knows what to do with MSG files.
Bob

Collapse -
That's the problem
by Molyslip / February 10, 2012 1:57 AM PST

Loads of apps will open MSG files and work as an e-mail client. They more or less duplicate the original service but installed they don't open the files in Dropbox. This seems a major problem as the problem seems unresolved on a general Google search! maybe there's an alternative to Dropbox that will open stored msg files?

Collapse -
Next stop? The developer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: That's the problem

Many of the apps have a developer or team behind the app. When my apps have issues or I want an upgrade, the users pummel me (not literally) with requests.

Did you ask the developer about this? It could save us hunting and testing many apps.
Bob

Collapse -
Ask the developer
by Molyslip / February 10, 2012 3:30 AM PST

Thanks. You're right they may have been asked many times before. I'll try. Thanks for your help.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
PS. Looks like folk have work to do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2012 3:40 AM PST
http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=51270

For now I would have to copy the MSG to the local file system then open it. An app could do that for us but who will write it? I'm a bit tied up on Android app development and even if I wrote this, no market I can see. I'd have to price it over 99 bucks to make it worthwhile.
Bob
Collapse -
Answer
Documento office viewer- open msg from Dropbox
by MessiMor / July 28, 2012 10:38 PM PDT

hi,

try Documento office viewer for openinh msg file from Dropbox.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.