PC Applications forum

General discussion

Open in new window is not full size window!!!

by alderessy / August 11, 2005 10:03 PM PDT

When i open any link with "open in new window" the new window is not full size screen window.Of course i dragged it by mouse many times and that should fix it later.It means it should be opened as it had been dragged,but that's never happened though i dragged it about a hundred time as a full screen size.What is the wrong here?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Open in new window is not full size window!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Open in new window is not full size window!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Open in new window is not full size window!!!
by Tufenuf / August 11, 2005 10:28 PM PDT

alderessy, Here's another solution which should work comliments of Toni Hackler.
Follow the instructions below exactly and your problem should be solved.
Right click the shortcut icon for IE next to the Start button, choose Properties, change it from 'normal' to 'maximized'. Now open it.
Now right click any link on the page, choose Open In New Window....don't maximize it....instead, use the mouse to resize it to what you want it to be.
Now close the FIRST window you opened, and then close the new one you just resized.
Reopen IE from the shortcut icon again, and all windows from now on will be the size you chose and created.

Note: If you don't have an IE icon next to the Start button (Quick Launch area) use the shortcut in your Start/Programs/Internet Explorer and follow the instructions above.

Collapse -
by alderessy / August 12, 2005 5:26 AM PDT

I followed your instructions step by step and that fixed it really.Thanks Tufenuf alot.

Collapse -
Re: Thanks
by Tufenuf / August 12, 2005 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

alderessy, Glad to see that the fix worked. Toni Hackler deserves the Thanks as I'm only the messenger on Toni's fix. Thanks for posting back.

Collapse -
Not full size
by dannyhagen / August 18, 2005 11:01 PM PDT

Will this fix also work on msn9

Collapse -
Glad I saw this posting
by ALonelyHeart / August 19, 2005 4:03 AM PDT

Lately this started happening to me, and I don't know why. Small browser pages open, me having to click up above to maximize each time. Glad I saw this posting and able to fix the problem all at once. Thanx!

Collapse -
thanks tufenuf
by shclarkson / August 19, 2005 10:11 PM PDT

working ok now thanks steve.

Collapse -
Open in new window is not full sized window
by mizdoc / August 1, 2009 8:20 AM PDT

Thanks Tufenuf:
This was driving me up the wall...after trying many different ways to fix this, your instructions worked perfectly
Thanks again

Collapse -
by prattjude / May 13, 2010 4:21 AM PDT

When I right click on IE and select Properties I see no place to choose Maximize over Normal. Now What? I have Windows XP.
Thanks anyone. "o)

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / May 13, 2010 10:41 PM PDT

prattjude, You must right click on an IE Shortcut and you'll find it under the Shortcut tab. You can use the shortcut in the Quick Launch area aside of the Start button or use the Start>Programs>Internet Explorer Shortcut.

How do I have an Internet Explorer 6 (IE6) or earlier version window open in the maximized position every time?

How do I have an Internet Explorer 7 (IE 7) window open in the maximized position every time? This also applies to IE 8.

Collapse -
Open new window
by leftylof / April 23, 2012 5:15 AM PDT

Try all programs right click IE you will see you can click on maximize ok .

Collapse -
Thanks mate :
by leftylof / April 23, 2012 5:12 AM PDT

Thanks I have been trying to open all windows in full size for ever .

Collapse -
Maximise new windows
by skycatcher / August 19, 2005 4:34 AM PDT

Does anyone know a Reg fix for making new windows maximise automatically ?

Collapse -
Re: Maximise new windows
by Tufenuf / August 19, 2005 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Maximise new windows

Mike, There's a reg hack for Windows XP at the link below on Line 231 (right column) "Set Internet Explorer to Full Screen - Undo" which you may be interested in.

"Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit".

Collapse -
Re: Maximise Reg tweak
by skycatcher / August 19, 2005 4:57 AM PDT

Thanks... that was quick. I run 98se but it's worth a try.

Collapse -
Re: Reg Tweak
by skycatcher / August 19, 2005 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Maximise Reg tweak

Just tried it. My setting was NO so I changed it to YES. It works OK from the IE icon but still doesn't work from a Right-Click or by clicking a Link. Is there another Reg Tweak for these two ?
Thanks.... Mike

Collapse -
Re: Reg Tweak
by Tufenuf / August 19, 2005 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Reg Tweak
Collapse -
Thanks Tufenuf
by skycatcher / August 19, 2005 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Reg Tweak

I had done this anyway but it's just that a Maximise does give you that tiny bit extra. It's another Windoze pest... like having a Web shortcut in an Icon... there's no facility for the Maximise command in the shortcut...!!!

Bill Gates strikes again......

Collapse -
Mike, Try this
by Tufenuf / August 19, 2005 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Tufenuf

Mike, If you press the F11 key it will make your window full screen. I don't know if you're aware of this but I thought I'd mention it.

Collapse -
F11 key
by skycatcher / August 20, 2005 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Mike, Try this

Yes I did know about it but thanks anyway. I use this little trick to view large pictures (wallpapers etc.).

See post further down about the IE Maximiser free program - works well.

Collapse -
Re: Maximise new windows
by Wm Lane / September 18, 2008 3:53 AM PDT

Hi Tufenuf:

I tried the Reg hack for Windows XP at the link below on Line 231 (right column) "Set Internet Explorer to Full Screen - Undo"

I followed your instructions, but it didn't work for me.

I want to double click on a thumbnail picture in my picture folder in Explorer and have it open full screen, but they only open minimized and I have to click either F-11 or the Full Screen button at the top of the screen.

Any thoughts on why it didn't work, or what I might have done wrong?

I rebooted after the reg hack.

Bill Lane

Collapse -
don't drag
by 4nea / August 19, 2005 6:13 AM PDT

it is always better to hit the "maximize" button on the titlebar rather than drag the edges of the window to the edge of the screen...
ive always found windows to be terribly buggy with "memorizing" how big i have dragged windows in the past...
maximizing actually makes the window a little bigger, because it pulls the outside borders of the window out of the screen to places they cannot be easily dragged.

Collapse -
why not just open in new tab
by SysGoddess / August 19, 2005 8:18 AM PDT

Why not just dump security hole riddled IE and run something like Firefox or Opera and simply open new items in a new tab rather than a new window? It's a much more elegant solution to what you're doing and, so far, a more secure solution to many of the ills that plague Windows in general.

Collapse -
Maximize IE windows
by Jo Billups / August 19, 2005 11:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
IE New Window Maximiser
by skycatcher / August 20, 2005 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Maximize IE windows

Hey thanks... this works a treat

Uses up just over 3MB of memory (aaaagggghhhh!!!) but what the heck it works well. Ran Ad-Aware and Spybot after install but nothing showed up.

Well done Jo - take yesturday off as a reward.

Collapse -
Why waste hdd space and ram
by TONI H / August 20, 2005 9:02 PM PDT

to do something a couple of mouse clicks takes care of for you? Not saying the program isn't good at what it does, it just makes no sense to install 'fix it' programs when they aren't needed. Even when I do install a third-party 'fix it' program, once it's repaired, I uninstall the program and most times, the repairs to the registry that it did stay put. You nearly always get an option to keep some of the installed entries by watching the uninstall window so you aren't doing an 'automatic' uninstall but a 'custom' one instead. Of course, that all depends on the author of the program and how they have written and coded it. Obviously there are some that are way better at it than most.

Collapse -
opening windows on the internet into full window
by dmohaver / July 6, 2010 8:49 AM PDT

Using Xp windows system, when I open up anything on the internet, I always have to click on upper right corner to have full size! Is there anything I can do about this???I have Acer aspire, not sure on model number!,,,,,,,,

Collapse -
Re: opening windows on the internet into full window
by Tufenuf / July 6, 2010 9:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Resize Window
by robertpntps / January 31, 2012 4:27 AM PST

Thanks for the advise. The directions for resizing a second worked great.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.