PC Hardware forum

Question

Only one fan active for regular use....

by DStein645 / February 22, 2012 2:35 PM PST

On my laptop there are two air vents in the back. When I play videogames both vents blow hot air out and work perfectly. However when I am simply browsing the internet or not even on my comp, only the left fan runs and it is very loud. The right side (which fan isnt running) is noticeably hotter. What could be wrong with my comp? This has been going on for about two months and it really worries me because the laptop is only 1 year old

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Only one fan active for regular use....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Only one fan active for regular use....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell the make and model
by Steven Haninger / February 22, 2012 7:34 PM PST

It could sound as if this was by some design. Of course you've already done the usual canned air cleaning, right?

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Fan mode
by Willy / February 22, 2012 9:39 PM PST

If you've done no configuration for fan operation, then its doing what most laptops do, operate on an as need basis. They get turned-ON when it gets hotter for whatever setting or sensor activation. Since, you mentioned a 1yr. use, maybe its time to do at least the basic "cleaning cycle" of the laptop. Once done and it acts the same, then its done what its setting were at. You should also review any fan operational setting are at, either at the BIOS level or a pgm. designed for your model# laptop. You may need to check your manual in this case. As always, it helps to provide the laptop details here to better answer your ?.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Dont think its dirty...
by DStein645 / February 23, 2012 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: Fan mode

I clean out my fans quite often so I dont think it is a cleaning issue. The main thing that bugs me though is that it seems that the laptop is using the one fan too an extreme when its not necessary. What happens is I leave my laptop for 10 minutes, when I comeback the one fan is roaring while the other does nothing, but if I dont leave my laptop and am constantly browsing the web or typing neither fan is really blowing. Once the fan starts going it goes on and off until I shut down or restart my computer. My BIOS is up to date.

My Laptop is an Alienware m17x R3 with i7quad core and Radeon 6990 HD Graphics card

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've seen folk return laptops for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 11:45 PM PST

You don't like this model. Try another?

Collapse -
Answer
Only one fan active for regular use
by StoreDailyMart / March 11, 2012 7:06 PM PDT

Replace the fan and use the Laptop Cooling Pad for it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.