Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Online Install of NEW Spybot v.1.62 Failed...

by tobeach / February 11, 2009 2:37 PM PST

After creating a manual system restore point with all new updates incl. new MBAM v.1.34). After disabling AVG AV to prevent corruption, I reluctantly allowed Spybot to attempt an online install rather than a full local un-inst & install of its' new 1.62 (from 1.60). Install proceeded fairly well til several error pop-ups
saying file xxx access denied: Read Only. Retry? the 1st 4 or 5 went fine 'til hitting tcpip.dll(?) & chai.dll for which no amount of re-try would work. Finally had to chose "Abort install" and S.R'd back to last point to get to current status of OK.

Anyone else had such problems either over net install or local?
Sys info in profile. Sandy ConfusedHappy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Online Install of NEW Spybot v.1.62 Failed...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Online Install of NEW Spybot v.1.62 Failed...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sandy, seems there are MORE people with v.1.62.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 11, 2009 2:45 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks, Lady M!! This Was First...
by tobeach / February 11, 2009 3:01 PM PST

time I ever tried over the net. Tried it 'cause last time I did local install (1.60), it created a horror story including the complete loss of 1 of the 2 existing desktop profiles (the non-active one at time of install). Luckily found my way out of that only to find updates for TT & S&D both caused hangs so I've been updating without those 2 over & over which has allowed the program to function OK until now.

I'll have a look at Forums & see others results! Thanks again! Grin

Collapse -
I did the exact same thing, Sandy
by michhala / March 11, 2009 4:41 PM PDT

Was in a rush and unintentionally allowed 1.6.2 to install. I also got the "read only retry" option and finally aborted. I downloaded a fresh copy and am about to uninstall and clean out remnants of the 1.6.0 using Add/Remove and manual Search for leftover files.

Question: Did you download the small Registry fix file to remove all remains from the registry before installing new version?

Collapse -
Hi, Miki! I Did Not Run The Tool
by tobeach / March 12, 2009 5:31 PM PDT

in this case as it was just part of the online update assuming (bad!)
that as part of the update complete removal of the program wouldn't be necessary, & if I did, there'd be no program to get the update!

I strongly recommend using the removal tool after un-installing & before new OFFLINE install.

To properly un-install Spybot even before the removal tool use, you have to basically UNDO all you did to adjust preferences for running (more so if EVER run in "advanced mode" which we sharp eyed types always do!).

Basically you need to return program to default "normal mode"
condition: "UNDO on immunize page, disable hosts file/tea timer/sd helper/ IE tweaks/ RE-ENABLE WITH CHECKMARKS ON Spybots'START-UP PROGRAMS LIST ANY LEGIT ITEMS YOU'VE DISABLED TO INCREASE EFFICIENCY/etc. This is important because those items are reg re-directed &disabled thru Spybot and Windows won't know where to turn them on if S&D is gone.Then do usual un-install & run tool.

Hope this doesn't come too late! Sandy Grin

Collapse -
Here's link to full removal instr. :D
by tobeach / March 12, 2009 5:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you.....
by michhala / March 12, 2009 6:06 PM PDT

....for the removal instructions......I already had the instructions from previous uninstalls. Everything is clean and ready for the 1.6.2 to be installed. I was just checking if you used the small registry fix that Spybot recommended and which I have used in the past.

Have a lovely weekend......Miki

Collapse -
A little late, but....
by michhala / March 12, 2009 6:15 PM PDT

I did not run in the Advanced Mode.....and I totally forgot about all the Undo's. There is nothing left on my computer of Spybot, including S&D Helper. I will be starting fresh with the install of the 1.6.2.

I did use the Registry fix file, however.....the system won't know there was ever a Spybot on it Happy

Collapse -
by michhala / March 12, 2009 8:15 PM PDT
In reply to: A little late, but....

According to Sandra at Spybot Forum, the Registry fix is only needed for old versions such as 1.4.

Collapse -
Thanks For That Update! Good
by tobeach / March 13, 2009 2:59 PM PDT
In reply to: FYI

to know. Good Luck w/ your install! Grin

Collapse -
Spybot 1.6.2 is installed and working fine...
by michhala / March 13, 2009 4:15 PM PDT

Thank goodness!!!

Collapse -
(NT) Way To Go, Miki !!! :D
by tobeach / March 14, 2009 4:05 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.