Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

Online form via Silverlight- blank radio button

by Gaby311 / July 1, 2013 6:27 AM PDT

HI! I'm not newbie as such, but never came across this before and have no idea how to resolve it.
I'm trying to fill out an online application form, and before loading up it asked to run or install Silverlight (for some reason, there was no option to use Adobe Flash Player). Once I enabled Silverlight, the form loaded up fine, but one of the radio buttons is blanked out and I can't select it.

After playing about with different answers (country of origin etc.) from the drop down menus I've discovered that these radio buttons light up for some answers and not others. I don't get why, because the radio buttons I'm talking about are 'Print and post the form' and 'Submit the form online'. The former is the only active one. Phoned the company's local office; they have told me none of their other clients from the same location as myself have had this problem, and they might not be able to process the paper form. It has to be submitted online, and they insisted both options of submitting the form should be available to me.

It only lets you use Silverlight to open the form, I've reinstalled Silverlight in case the previous version was corrupt, switched between Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer- nothing helped. In fact, the form wouldn't even open in Mozilla. Could someone please tell me if there is a way of enabling these radio button or using an alternative to Silverlight to run the form? Also, if it's a possibility of any of my browser settings being wrong, what should I look at?

Many thanks in advance!!

Gaby311 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Online form via Silverlight- blank radio button
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Online form via Silverlight- blank radio button
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Gaby311

Collapse -
Firefox Tends To Block Silverlight And Java
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 10:47 AM PDT

See the discussion about the newest versions of Firefox blocking such add-ons. You'll need to enable the add-on to get it to work.

Unfortunately, you didn't mention which version of Internet Explorer you're using, or the operating system... Either way, make sure you've updated you're version of Java, disabled any pop-up blockers, or possibly ad-blockers, which frequently prevent such buttons from working..

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Can't find a solution
by Gaby311 / July 1, 2013 4:01 PM PDT

Hi, thank you very muc for your reply! Sorry, meant to mention my browser version- Mozilla Firefoz 22.0 and Internet Explorer 10; the OS is Windows XP. My default browser is Firefox and I've never come across this problem before. I've tried your solution and disabled Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon 0.7 and Adblock Plus 2.2.4. Silverlight and Java are definitely up-to-date. Tried the online form again- comes up with an error on Mozilla, same as before:
"An exception occurred while initializing module.
- The exception message was: Activation error occured while trying to get instance of type Module, key ""
Check the InnerException property of the exception for more information. If the exception occurred while creating an object in a DI container, you can exception.GetRootException() to help locate the root cause of the problem.
Exception is: IsolatedStorageException - [IsolatedStorage_Operation]"

As you can imagine, I have no clue what all of that means. It gives a link to a possible description of the problem, but the link doesn't load anything up:

Internet Explorer loads up the form but still blanks out that radio button. Are there any other solutions at all? I'm out of ideas and need this form submitted as soon as possible. Many thanks!

Collapse -
Looks Like A Coding Issued On The Form...Or....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't find a solution've possibly disabled scripting, such as JavaScript in the browser's settings... (Not Java but "JavaScript" which are different.) IN some cases, NET Framework needs to be installed also.. Do you have NET Framework 4.0 installed? If not, please do so. Firefox simply won't open it because of the error.. Although the link below refers to Win7, you can read about the error at the link below. Internet Explorer tries but fails.. Other than trying the suggestions above, I'm stumped.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
I found that .NET item too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 3:18 AM PDT

I didn't find a good discussion about this that wasn't too deep so I'll sum it up.

A few found they had to uninstall .NET 4.x, reboot and install .NET 4.x to clear this up. However this doesn't appear to be a sure thing. But I thought I'd chime in with this.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.