TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Onkyo TX-NR809 Quality Problems

by easysoul / October 15, 2011 4:51 AM PDT

Does anyone know if Onkyo has addressed the reliability problems with the NR809?
In particular, the HDMI dropout; the sound dropout when the TV switches from HD to SD (such as switching to a commercial), etc.
The list was getting long the last time I checked.
And I'd love to hear if they are patching anything with firmware updates.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Onkyo TX-NR809 Quality Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Onkyo TX-NR809 Quality Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd check AVS forum to be certain
by Pepe7 / October 15, 2011 6:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Onkyo HDMI Problems NR Series AVR - No Audio or Network
by midtennesseeaudio / February 13, 2012 10:33 AM PST

No Onkyo hasn't addressed faulty HDMI issues

Collapse -
Nope...and there are other problems!
by OldSerb / May 15, 2012 9:22 AM PDT

I purchased one in 12/2011. For the first 5 months, it was simply FLAWLESS! No audio problems. No video problems. NOTHING!

Of course, that was then. As of today, only 6 months past purchase, the TX-NR809 is a $1000 paperweight. It completely shut off on me while I was playing online via my PS3. It displayed "CHECK SP WIRE" on the display. I completed the instructions as stated in Onkyo's "Troubleshooting" section of their owner's manual. And it worked...well, almost. It worked for like 12 more hours.

As of this morning (only 2 days since this issue began), the unit now will NOT turn on at all. I tried to reset the unit to its factory default settings. NOTHING! It's now completely useless! I read online that these things were buggy. I chose not to believe it, but they are completely buggy. My sister bought a Sony receiver for under $300 and it's working FLAWLESSLY for over 6 months now with similar features as my TX-NR809. Sad when Sony makes sure that their products work for months (hell, my PS3 has worked flawlessly since 2007!) and yet, this receiver from Onkyo dies after less than 6 full months of use.

I'm just glad that the company has a 2 year warranty on them. It's so going in for repairs! No excuse for a gently used receiver to blow up within 6 months time, especially for the price that Onkyo is charging! My personal recommendation: STAY AWAY FROM THIS RECEIVER!

Collapse -
I replaced my dad's speaker wires...
by Pepe7 / May 15, 2012 3:42 PM PDT

...and that message went away. Have you tried this option yet?

There is some degree of variability in these electronic products. OTOH, my experience with Onkyo is pretty good compared to Sony. [If you've ever had the pleasure of having to communicate with Sony customer service you will know what I mean(!)] And FWIW, there are plenty of people who have had problems with their PS3s. Perhaps you were lucky w/ the PS3 and not so lucky with the Onkyo? <shrug>

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.