Computer Help forum

General discussion

One-stop shop to update drivers

by ericbogaards / May 27, 2007 6:44 AM PDT

I've recently cleaned my Toshiba Satelite laptop using PC-Pitstop. One of the remaining items I need to do to keep my computer current is updating the drivers. PC-Pitstop directed me to Touchstone's DriverAgent site for a scan. According to this scan, 40% of my drivers need updates. I don't want to go through the hassle of going to each individual manufacturers' site to find updated drivers and I'm not looking forward to spend more money then I really have to... Does anyone know a free site that has the same ease of use as Touchstone or is it better to spend some money on Touchstone (or another good site)?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: One-stop shop to update drivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: One-stop shop to update drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wouldn't...
by John.Wilkinson / May 27, 2007 1:18 PM PDT

First let me state that the free online PC Pitstop scan is great, but the application PC Pitstop Optimize is overpriced considering there are free applications available that do a better job.

As to the driver updates, I wouldn't pay $30 given the limited benefits. Driver updates are released to resolve problems, so unless a specific device is malfunctioning I wouldn't worry about it. The only real exception is the video card where you want maximum performance, but then it's just one driver to check on. If you do opt to pay for the service:
1.) Note that they only link to the download(s)'s not a one-click solution.
2.) If you want to compare services, RadarSync is an alternative at the same price.
3.) The automated services have been known to make mistakes, so you'll still want to double-check.

Collapse -
by ericbogaards / May 27, 2007 6:55 PM PDT
In reply to: I wouldn't...

I know enough about computers to optimize the system myself. PC Pitstop just helps me in finetuning the optimization and identifying things I didn't think of.

As to the drivers: Yes, I believe you're right about not worrying about "old" drivers as long as the system runs normally. I've had a look at RadarSync and compared their scan to Touchstone Driver Agent's scan. RadarSync has better detail and with their overview it will be easier to find only those drivers that I really need to update (like the one for my videocard).

Thanks for the advise! It saved me time and money!!

Collapse -
RadarSync's PC Updater is now FREEWARE.
by Asher-RadarSync / May 22, 2008 3:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

UPDATE- May 2008: RadarSync's PC Updater is now FREEWARE. That means you can run the scan AND get the downloads without spending a dime. This isn't a time limited version, it's the real thing. Get it at

We also opened our website completely for the public.

Collapse -
What am I missing?
by Jim F / May 24, 2008 12:35 AM PDT

I have attempted numerous times to D/L the Updater. The first time I did the d/l with the run option. It d/l and then nothing. The second time I did a save with the d/l, again nothing. The third time I went to the Cnet forum and did the d/l and nothing after the save.

I am attempting this on a HP Media Center using IE6.

Collapse -
It seems to be broken...
by John.Wilkinson / May 24, 2008 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: What am I missing?

I've been unable to get the new version to successfully launch under Windows XP or Vista, so I'm guessing there are a few kinks that they need to work out first. Try again next week?

Collapse -
Radar Sync dl
by terri13th / May 24, 2008 8:49 AM PDT

I did successfully dl Radar yesterday--I believe I had same probs you had, but then clicked on the link on the original dl page, near bottom, that said, 'if you having trouble getting the dl, click here,' or some such, and then my dl worked. I did need to update my .net framework to complete it, but then it finished, and I've run scan, no prob., other than my being puzzled by its result, but that's in my other post...

Collapse -
question on Radar synch result
by terri13th / May 24, 2008 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I wouldn't...

A tad off track, but when I ran the reccd driver update program, it came back telling me to update 'Intel(R)82801 PCI Bridge244E,' but my comp is Anthlon AMD Processor, which I thought not 'Intel.' What is wrong w/this picture--I'm thinking most likely my assumption...?

Collapse -
by Dango517 / May 23, 2008 8:29 PM PDT

Automatic updates in Windows OSs do most of this for you. Sometimes this solution is a bit unreliable so open your device manger, right click on each item choose "update driver" then do the Wizard for the "on line" search.

If your missing any then track them down. Some you may not find. If your PC is running well then don't worry about it.

Driver updates are usual and customary support for PC hardware if you have to pay for them change hardware. I've never bought a driver nor would I. Don't waste your money.

You might check frequently for Video, Audio and Ethernet Adapter drivers these become outdated more frequently then other drivers and at times the most current version is not available through automatic up dates. Bookmark these sites for easy access and checking then check them every 6-9 months for current drivers.

Collapse -
Have you tried their service, Dan?
by John.Wilkinson / May 24, 2008 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Why?

They charge $29.95 before they will tell you anything except that you have a "bad" driver for a specific device. That doesn't necessarily mean outdated, and they're frequently wrong in my experience. NOT recommended. Better to go with RadarSync, in my opinion.

P.S. Only select driver updates are made available through Windows Update (and the "update driver" option) based on manufacturer and device. That's why third-party services continue to do business.

Collapse -
I do the scan
by Dango517 / May 24, 2008 10:39 AM PDT

The scan is free, the up dates are not. Then search down the few on line that haven't been up dated through windows. If I can't find them and the PC seems OK then I just drop it. These were generally few on the several PCs I've used this method with, no surprises. I do not subscribe to the service. The down side of this is you will receive there Email solicitations for some time. They also provide free BIOS up dates for many PC manufactures.

Collapse -
You mean RadarSync?
by RonitKish / May 24, 2008 4:14 PM PDT
In reply to: I do the scan

You mean RadarSync? It's free now, I Just downloaded and used it. Found 5 drivers, 3 apps updates. All besides one (Fiirefox!) were bingo happy.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.