Windows Vista forum

General discussion

one opinion on whether or not to use Ready Boost

by Dango517 / September 3, 2007 2:05 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: one opinion on whether or not to use Ready Boost
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: one opinion on whether or not to use Ready Boost
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Been trying it. Can't say it works or rather.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2007 4:18 AM PDT

I'm not finding it to boot faster.

Collapse -
maybe, because it's not boot, its boost. To go faster.
by Dango517 / September 3, 2007 7:02 AM PDT

Are you reading this stuff or just glancing over it.

Collapse -
Tried on only a handful of laptops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2007 7:04 AM PDT

After the first 3 I gave up on the stopwatch and have come to the conclusion it doesn't boost anything anywhere.

Is there a point that we can paint the pig and call it something else?

Collapse -
Lets see...........
by Dango517 / September 3, 2007 7:52 AM PDT

Vista came out on or near the 28th of January. It's the 3rd of September. That's seven months. 31 desktops you've checked in seven month and your here every day. Where do you get the time? And with a stopwatch even. Your amazing or something like that. Not all USB sticks can run ReadyBoost. Vista is specially equipped to run it. So, that's 31 Desktops in seven months on computers with Vista OSs that have ReadyBoost USB sticks. Sorry somethings a miss here and it's not my information. By-the-way the one I bought cost $80.00 bucks. How many people do you think are shelling out that much for a USB stick? Stretching it a bit here aren't we? Maybe, you check 31 machines incorrectly.

Collapse -
Yes I used real "ReadyBoost" drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2007 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Lets see...........

Also, I did read the review. Since I don't have any Vista machine under 1GB RAM that's probably why at the office we're calling this a dud.

Our results are inline with that review.

I'll sum up readyboost in two words. "Don't bother."

I get the time for these forums since I've worked hard, published a few software titles and now play with new projects. Hope you get as lucky.

Collapse -
I'm not editorializing the article.
by Dango517 / September 3, 2007 8:46 AM PDT

The reader can come to there own conclusion. Readyboost may very well have some genuine advantages if it is used to run virtual memory. This will make calls too and from virtual memory faster.

To sum up your a grizzly old programmer, that works in an office where you work on computers. That has published a few articles, implying your financially set so you get to spend your time here.

Programmers usually leave the hardware to engineers in corporations or subcontract the maintenance to outside maintenance firms. Must be a very small firm with little activity. Are you there Jack-of-all-trades? Let me guess, now you'll be the owner. Dig yourself in as far as you like.

Collapse -
Oh, I do hardware design too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2007 9:05 AM PDT

There's something about marrying software and hardware into a product.

-> The article was inline with our results. Since RAM is so cheap, we tend to fit the 1GB without question.

Did I strike a nerve by calling ReadyBoost not so ready?

PS. Embedded electronics, software, firmware, CCTV, PDA software, automatic test equipment and more such software to make it all fly.

Collapse -
(NT) Security company
by Dango517 / September 3, 2007 9:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
no speed increase using ready boost?
by inachu / September 5, 2007 11:17 PM PDT

your system must have the latest stuff in it already then.

Older system will benefit mostly.

So if you just bought that AMD 6000 with raptor HD then you will see no change.

Collapse -
Not top of the line.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2007 11:23 PM PDT

But inline with the results of the article. All the laptops in the office have 1 or more GB RAM. Some had 4200 RPM drives, some faster. But the fallout from this was there was no benefit on even the lowest model laptop we had which had a core duo, 1GB RAM and slow hard disk.

Collapse -
Does it work or is it hype?
by OMCG1 / January 12, 2009 2:39 AM PST

I'm a BIG Flight Simulator fan and I have been juggeling with numorous frame rate issues. Microsoft says it a graphic driver problem and Nevidia says Microsoft don't support the SLI feature. in either case i have been getting the run around from both companies. Note, my machine is a home built eguipt with 8 gigs of SLI memory AMD Phenom X4 9950 CPU, 3 Nvidia 9800 GTX+ graphic cards, 1000 watt Ultra Power Supply with an ASUS Crosshair II Formula motherboard and it does handle most graphic intensive applications with no problems but FSX seems to be the exception to the rule.
The other day I was reading a web site containg information on "ReadyBoost" so I decided to give it a try. I stopped by my local computer electronics store and purchased 1 8GB PNY ReadyBoost Thumbdrive and selected it to be totally used as "ReadyBoost". To my surprise my frame rates on FSX jumped from 3.4 FPS to 21.6 FPS and up to 31.0 FPS having all slider set to MAX.
In closing I did notice a sizeable improvement on performance with FSX and recomend it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.