Windows Vista forum

one medium beep in vista

by codibel / May 19, 2013 8:34 AM PDT

hello, my vista system (hp pavilion entertainment laptop) has been slowing down quite a bit, apps and folders taking forever to load.

sometimes (NOT at bootup), it freezes for several seconds and then a loud beep happens; not very long, and no more than one beep.

vista home premium, service pack 2, hp pavilion dv60000, 32 bit os, 1GB ram

did a chkdsk and passed. battery is fine.

any suggestions would be helpful.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: one medium beep in vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: one medium beep in vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sadly the dv6000 line is plagued with issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 3:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
by codibel / June 1, 2013 12:57 AM PDT

thank you, bob. i would have responded sooner but i am studying for my A+ 220-801 and 220-802 certifications.

i did not realize that my particular system was so problematic by reputation, but i believe it since i have had so many headaches i bought a new pc. I still want to try to trouble shoot the vista machine, though.

thanks for the link, and i will surely look into it.

Collapse -
Here this model is easy to troubleshoot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2013 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: recommendations

We slip in a new motherboard and the problem vanishes (for a time.) This time seems to be a year or 2.

I'm unsure why anyone would want to pour time and money in this model. I'm sure there are folk that didn't do the research in google and DV6000 DEFECTIVE to see all the issues. If you value your time, you would ebay this today.

Collapse -
trouble shooting
by codibel / June 2, 2013 9:07 AM PDT

hi bob,

i was going to try the compressed air, but i wouldn't go further financially with this machine.

it was given to me about 6 years ago. i want to trouble shoot the different consoles, utilities, tools etc. because i am going for my CompTIA A+ certification and i use it to practice on.

i am not sure how to use the air, i will read the link in full; just can't imagine blowing air into a cd drive would clean the dust - i picture it pushing it further in and compacting it.

thanks again,

Collapse -
I've read such before (pushing it in)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: trouble shooting

And maybe that's good news for my friends in service centers since they will get to see more PCs and laptops if folk won't maintain their hardware.

There are thousands of web pages about this area so if you want to do more than canned air which is your basic work, you can go to the next level.

HOWEVER, I find that I only need to go inside after a few years. And I only find compacted dust and lint on the machines that never had the canned air cleaning.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.