Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

onboard SATA Hard Drive (not present)

by Bulletrushout / April 30, 2008 1:46 PM PDT

On board SATA Hard drive,IDE Hard drive, and usb floppy drive not present. This the error message i found in boot sequence because my system will not boot up. Dell dimension E510, 80ghd, 512mb

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: onboard SATA Hard Drive (not present)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: onboard SATA Hard Drive (not present)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You have to ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2008 8:59 PM PDT

Supply the SATA drivers on Floppy during install. XP knows nothing about SATA.

Collapse -
xp has limits
by Bulletrushout / May 1, 2008 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: You have to ...

Thanks for that info. I thought xp had it all, but unfortunately for me this computer has no floppy drive. I had also research much of your answer to this particular problem and i am presently at a stand still. Is there a way around not having a floppy on this system. I have already made changes to my boot sequence, setting the cd-rom as my first boot because i was having a failure error that read : floppy disk drive not found.

Collapse -
Just a litle more research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2008 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: xp has limits

There are articles about slipstreaming in the drivers. Try adding the words XP SLIPSTREAM SATA DRIVERS to your search.

Collapse -
You might want to
by lacsr / April 30, 2008 9:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
drives not present
by billzhills / May 1, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

Is the BIOS reporting no drives present on boot during Hwd check or in the BIOS?

If so ....
Then loose or bad data cables/ power connectors
Improper BIOS settings
Incorrect MB ports being used
MB issues

Expansion card for SATA or IDE support?
These, if I remember correctly, had their own boot menu.

Collapse -
No drives present
by Bulletrushout / May 1, 2008 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: drives not present

I have attempted many directions (1) safe mode, (2)Normal boot up, (3)Using re-installation CD and checking boot sequence and all of them give me the same results which is:Drive 1 not found, Drive 2 not found, drive 3 not found. Only the cd-rom drive is present. Setup process did not find any hard disk either. I have check all connections and all seems good.Nothing was ever fix or change in this computer.

Collapse -
HDD failure?
by billzhills / May 1, 2008 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: No drives present

If the HDD is not recognized by the BIOS on boot or within the settings menu, no changes made to BIOS settings, all connections are correct with good cables your HDD may have or has failed.

The many attempts made are moot.
The HDD must recognized by the BIOS first.
Once that happens then repairs can be attempted.

Expect for your data to be gone if you
have not made back-ups.

Collapse -
Is this a problem?
by captainlorax / August 7, 2010 12:37 PM PDT

I have the same computer. Dell E510 factory built

if I check my bios when the computer is starting I get the same 3 things (not present). On board SATA Hard drive, IDE Hard drive, and usb floppy drive not present.

Except my computer works perfectly fine.

Is this a problem... should any of the 3 things be present?

Collapse -
Probably OK
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 8:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Is this a problem?

Stepping through what you have posted;

1] Onboard SATA hard drive not present. I am no expert but if your BIOS shows a "Bootable hard drive", then it boots from this, and then XP discovers the SATA hard drive drivers, and continues to load the operating system. That assumes that your OS is installed on a SATA hard drive. So if all that is true, then the message in the BIOS is probably not a problem.

2] IDE hard drive not present. Not sure. But again, if your system boots up OK then nothing to worry about.

3] USB Floppy drive not present. Does your system have a floppy hard drive connected by USB? If not, then it is not present.

Does that help?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.