Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Resolved Question

On Clickable Links

by kelray85 / January 12, 2012 6:34 AM PST

I just recently upgraded to Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail and when I send a message with a link to a website the recipients are not able to click on the link to go to the page. The only way that the recipients can open the link is to cut and paste it. Is there some setting in Windows mail that I have wrong? Hopefully somebody on here will has some ideas for me. Thank you very much in advance for any ideas you may have.

kelray85 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: On Clickable Links
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: On Clickable Links
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by kelray85

Collapse -
This is usually on the client's email settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2012 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: On Clickable Links

My email is set to disallow most clicks. It is a safety feature of how I set up my email and not because of what you sent me.

Collapse -
Clickable Links
by kelray85 / January 12, 2012 7:30 AM PST

thank you for the response, but that is not the case here. When I sent the links to people with my old computer with Outlook express they could click on the links fine. Any other ideas out there?

Collapse -
Change the format in which you send.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2012 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: Clickable Links

Try plain text and what else you have an option for. Remember that Live mail is not very good. Usable but most move on after they have enough of the troubles. Nod to? Thunderbird.

Collapse -
by 62BT409 / January 31, 2012 9:29 PM PST

I too have the same problem. I can only assume that MS has not yet answered and correct all of the problems clients are finding. Now when I send a hyper-link it is comes to the receiver as a click-able link BUT when I receive a hyper-link it is NOT click-able. The copy and paste rule comes into play.
I come over from OE in WIN XP when I changed to WIN 7. And the only mail O/S I have found so afar that is JB friendly is WLE. I tried MSO and Thunderbird and did not find them as friendly.... still a lot of work needed in WLE..
But this is just my $.02

Collapse -
Not an MS bug
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 9:32 PM PST
In reply to: Hyper-links

I doubt this is a bug.

How do you receive emails, in plain text or in HTML format?

Collapse -
by kelray85 / February 1, 2012 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: Not an MS bug

I receive them in HTML. I have managed to find a fairly easy workaround for my problem. When the link shows up in my e-mail message all in black letters I select it and then cut it and click on hypertext. The link automatically shows up in the hypertext window and I click on insert. The link then shows up in the message like I want it to.

Collapse -
Good workaround
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: HTML

That' a good workaround. It's a shame you have to do that though.

When you receive other emails, for example emails from CNET about this discussion we are having, or emails from online stores or whatever, do you get clickable links?

If so then I begin to wonder if the other emails you receive where links are not clickable are being created incorrectly by the sender(s).

One other possibility. Some email software, (my Thunderbird for example), will often disable content when it thinks there may be some risk. I then need to click a button on the email header section to allow all content. Does you email software do the same?

Collapse -
Yes They Are Clickable
by kelray85 / February 1, 2012 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: Good workaround

Yes, when I receive links in my e-mail I can click on them just fine. It seems that the only problem I seem to be having is when I am working in Firefox and click on Send Link to send the web address to an e-mail message that link will not be clickable unless I do that work around that I explained earlier. I just tried right clicking on the web address in Firefox and clicking "Copy" and when I paste it into an e-mail message it comes out clickable. So it seems the only time I have the problem is when I click on "Send Link". So at this point I think I am pretty well set with the way I am doing it. Thank you very much for your helping me with this.

Collapse -
(NT) I'm just testing it now using my Firefox Send Link
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 7:46 PM PST
In reply to: Yes They Are Clickable
Collapse -
Hmm, interesting
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 8:02 PM PST

I sent myself an email using this discussion as the link, and via Send Link in Firefox's menu.

My email software opened with a "Write" email window and the link already inserted into the main body. It wasn't formatted as a link and was only plain text. But I know from previous testing that this is how links in my Write window displays and i figured that when I received the email it would display as a proper link, which it did.

In fact, I also checked the Sent folder in the email software and it shows up there as a clickable link.

Sorry but I've just noticed that my first reply in this discussion was to someone who had hijacked this thread with their own problems, (my reply here ).

I see the problem they had is different to yours. It's always difficult when this happens and we don't notice that.

I'm stuck now with where we are, so I think I must pass on this.

Collapse -
I tested also.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 8:08 PM PST
In reply to: Yes They Are Clickable

Firefox (3.6) copies only the linktext into the mail, however I do it. It's just text, like I typed it myself. But Thunderbird is smart enough to recognize it as a web-address and make it a link as soon as I sent it. Both in my Sent Items and in the mail as I receive it when sent to myself, it has become a link.

So my guess is that Thunderbird is smarter than Windows Live Mail. It makes some sense. Firefox doesn't know if the mail will be sent in plain text format or in html-format. So it chooses the safe side: only put text into the email, no hyperlinks, no fonts, no pics, no colors, nothing except plain text as you type it on the keyboard. Then, when the mail program finds out it becomes an html-mail it makes it a link.

This is more an issue of your mail program then it is an issue of your browser, I think.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.