TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

OLED TV

by nimzy8849 / January 17, 2012 11:10 AM PST

LG got the Best of CES Awards 2012? That wasn't expected. The local news talked about the Samsung OLED only.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OLED TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OLED TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OLED 3D TV
by ddavemac / January 17, 2012 4:24 PM PST
In reply to: OLED TV

I was there! Both LG's booth and Samsung's booth were super crowded and both were pretty good.But in my opinion, LG's 3D was waaaaay better than Samsung's. It was barely visible from the side.

Collapse -
OLED TV
by kellycane1989 / January 17, 2012 4:29 PM PST

Well, I wasn't there but I've heard the samething! Guess LG is better than Samsung about TVs. Can't wait to see it!XD!

Collapse -
We all know/heard how great OLED was.
by ahtoi / January 17, 2012 5:20 PM PST

My question is how much is it NOW.

Collapse -
really
by dangold56 / January 18, 2012 2:29 PM PST

According to the LAS VEGAS, Jan. 12, 2012 /NEWS.GNOM.ES/ source, LG electronics announced that it won a total of nine awards at the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), thus, solidifying its position as a leader in developing cutting-edge products. In addition to being selected as the best HDTV at CES by CNET, the LG 55EM9600 OLED HDTV was chosen by CNET's unbiased, expert editors as the most exciting, innovative and promising new product at the show. Also,in addition to being selected as the best HDTV at CES by CNET, the LG 55EM9600 OLED HDTV was chosen by CNET's unbiased, expert editors as the most exciting, innovative and promising new product at the show. You can also get the full details from the link below; http://news.gnom.es/news/lg-electronics-wins-multiple-awards-at-the-2012-international-ces,

Collapse -
that's nice
by dangold56 / January 18, 2012 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: really

in line with the webpronews, it can be seen that, according to a Samsung press release the accolades include Popular Science's Best of CES 2012: Products of the Future award, G4 TV's Best of the Best Products, Stuff Magazine's CES Hot Stuff Award, and CES's own Best of CES Innovations 2012 in the Video Displays category. get more from the site below; http://www.webpronews.com/ces-2012-samsung-oled-awards-2012-01

Collapse -
I WANT ONE!
by Flatworm / January 20, 2012 9:59 PM PST

That LG 55" OLED TV is absolutely GORGEOUS! 5 mm thick and 17 lbs., and a basically infinite contrast ratio. And the power consumption of a small flashlight.

The price is now roughly estimated at $10,000, but if you recall the first plasma HDTVs were priced at over $20K and would be considered unacceptably primitive even at $500 today. So maybe we won't have to wait too long.

Collapse -
actually...
by electronicspimp / January 24, 2012 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: I WANT ONE!

correction, the OLED TV is 4 mm thick. 3.9mm to be exact. The bezel is also only 0.9 mm thick. The price itself has been rumored to be under 10k. I've read on some sites that claim $7-8 but the way I see it, as it has been always, Samsung's will be priced higher than LG's. The price has always been predetermined im sure on both sides. However I cannot say its the same when it comes to performance. The LG oled has wow'd me and I'm very hard to wow.

Collapse -
Yep
by Ewilde / January 24, 2012 1:56 PM PST
In reply to: actually...

Well they can actually print it (OLEDs) on the a super thin substrate less than 1mm. The TV would be really flimsy then and prone to breaking.

Collapse -
oled tv
by ashywack / January 31, 2012 10:31 AM PST

Well the LG OLED is made extremely well. Im sure they considered it while building it. Its made from great material and is very sturdy for its thinness and sleek design

Collapse -
whoa!!!!!
by kellywilliams0448 / January 31, 2012 10:57 AM PST

One important feature that I have noticed with the LG OLED TV is the
contrast optimizer. As the contrast goes deeper, the expression becomes
detailed.

Collapse -
really?
by kellywilliams0448 / January 31, 2012 11:00 AM PST

Knowing fully well that the LG OLED TV has pixels which are self lighted parts, it is possible for one to view dark scenes clearly when watching any movies. So!!!!!!!

Collapse -
brand images and marketing strategies...
by ericmeier32 / February 2, 2012 2:15 PM PST

I think it's because of their brand images and marketing strategies...
But thing is..I went to Vegas for CES 2012 and I saw what LG made and was impressed.
Their TVs werent the best like in 2010 and suddently in 2011 and 2012 they seem like they are making apush for the top spot.

Collapse -
Indeed I was impressed.
by jkowzer / February 2, 2012 5:19 PM PST

They had a plastic Samsung OLED TV outside of Best buy in my area to show how thin it was. it was about the thickness of my index finger. I've read that LG has their own kind that is even thinner. If only my wife were here to see this.

Collapse -
Thin
by robert1tech / February 5, 2012 8:40 AM PST

They are both super thin but Samsungs is not coming to market any time soon. If you want an Oled TV your going to have one option and that is LG. The LG TV is 1/2 as thin as the plastic Samsung one you saw 8mm vs 4mm.

Collapse -
I found this when I was looking for the OLED TV
by tvmangj / February 7, 2012 4:07 PM PST
In reply to: Thin
Collapse -
I'll leave the technical stuff for someone else.
by ahtoi / February 8, 2012 6:59 AM PST

My understanding is woled is better than just plain oled. Woled is what LG has; it's their technology (bought from Kodak in 2009). So I am pretty sure that is what they will use for their TV.

Collapse -
LG OLED TV
by mart_rck / March 4, 2012 6:41 PM PST

I am impressed by LG OLED TV not only because of its stunning look but also its internal mechanism. LG is using four color pixels pattern instead of conventional three color pixels. The extra whit color pixel gives the stability to blue pixel that makes OLED long lasting.

Collapse -
Blue pixel
by robert1tech / March 6, 2012 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: LG OLED TV

While the blue pixel is still there its just not huge like an RGB Oled TV so your don't get that weird color shift.

White Oled is probably the real solution to mass produced Oled TVs my guess is Samsung will have to change over if they want to compete... It uses less power produces truer color and its cheaper easier to make. They will probably license it and produce them as well.

Collapse -
100%
by tvmangj / March 6, 2012 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: Blue pixel

I don't think there is any real way for Samsung to create the supply it would need with RGB Oled..... If you have seen those up close pictures from engadget that big blue subpixel makes it harder to produce and probably burn out much quicker.

LGs white Oled is probably the only Tech that can be mass produced and still have that quality and look people want with out being absurdly expensive.

Collapse -
Super Best 3D TV, SMART TV, and OLED TV
by maryjones1971 / March 6, 2012 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: 100%

My friend's uncle got this nice house in a small country side and he plans to in store over 4 different kinds of TV sets but of the same brand. He plans to get 1 3D TV, 2 Smart TVs while waiting to grasp 1 OLED TV. My friend said his uncle is a busy man and will like him to make one best choice out of Samsung, Sony, and LG. One more thing, he admires good design, simple and convenient tech, variety of social apps, and super quality pictures. Please if you got any information on this, do let me know...?

Collapse -
Best OLED TV
by kellywilliams0448 / March 6, 2012 1:42 PM PST

Ok! I will like to recommend the Sony BRAVIA Smart TV and the reason is that it has gotten some new social networking features like You Tube, Twitter, etc. It is a bit expensive but I guess your uncle is up to the task. However, I heard Sony is no longer going in for OLED TV and will like to focus more on its Smart TVs. In which case, i see LG OLED TV or Samsung OLED TV (even though not release yet) since they got the best position at CES-2012 in Las Vegas. LG OLED TV was the best followed by Samsung.

Collapse -
Super Best 3D TV, SMART TV, and OLED TV
by maryjones1971 / March 6, 2012 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: Best OLED TV

Actually, he is looking for a uniform brand. That is, all four TV sets must come from the same company or better still, have the same brand.

Collapse -
if this is true
by tvmangj / March 7, 2012 9:00 AM PST

Then, your only options are Samsung or LG......

They are the only companies that will have Oleds this year.

I don't believe Samsung has any real chance to bring their RGB Oled to market this year.

So, your "friends uncle" would have to go with LG seeing as that would be the only remaining option.

Collapse -
Samsung OLED
by JimmyFukyushu / March 7, 2012 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: if this is true

I have read on some asia news sites that Samsung will adopt the WOLED tech used by LG therefore the RGB tech shown at CES will be abandoned and discontinued, which explains the delay. It might just be speculation though.

Collapse -
yep
by robert1tech / March 7, 2012 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: Samsung OLED

I am among the camp that thinks RGB Oled is not really produce able on large scale for a price that is competitive to White oled.

The RGB also has that blue color shift.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.