Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

old user profiles in documents and settings; how to delete

by dachshundlover / January 4, 2009 2:33 AM PST

Thanks whoever answered my prev. question. The boot.ini stuff.
Now, there are about 12 user profiles in document and settings that are old and no good. They have all been removed from User Accounts in Control panel. How can I get rid of all of the others? I searched the Windows Support for information on this, but could not find an exact match to what I need to do.
Thank you so much for your help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: old user profiles in documents and settings; how to delete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: old user profiles in documents and settings; how to delete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Be sure of one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2009 2:38 AM PST

Never delete those accounts that Microsoft installed. They could be Administrator, Guest, Dotnet or others.

I can't recount how many times people lock themselves out of a Windows NT, 2000, XP or Vista OS by getting the accounts down to "the one." A corrupt profile issue happens and we can't fix that. Microsoft's answer is over at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151 and you see where the other account is used to regain access and those files.

So to delete those user accounts, you do that and later clean off the directory.
Bob

Collapse -
Boot.ini removed the 2nd windows at boot up, but have 2 win
by dachshundlover / January 4, 2009 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: Be sure of one thing.

I following the directions regarding the boot.ini changes, however, under C:/ I have a Windows and a Windows2 folders? Is there a way to get the entire installation or that 2nd windows folder removed? I think it is taking a lot of system space and making my computer really slow. I am not really an advanced user so to speak, but I know my way around a computer and would love to be able to get rid of this.

Collapse -
You didn't tell if
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2009 3:27 AM PST

You browsed to that directory, clicked once on it then pressed the delete key. I'll stop here and wait for more details.

Collapse -
I did delete the old one but 2 windows files in c:
by dachshundlover / January 4, 2009 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: You didn't tell if

I was able to delete the old user profiles using the delete key.

But I see I have two c:/windows directories; one called c:/windows and the other c:/windows2. Can one of these be removed? I think it may be part of the reason the system is really slow! I just disinfected malware from it and is now clean. But unsure about the question above.

Collapse -
(NT) Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2009 7:35 AM PST
Collapse -
reply to: old user profiles in documents and settings; how t
by subhaschy / January 4, 2009 4:20 AM PST

If you don't need the OLD USER profiles you can delete that easily.

Go to system properties=>Advanced=>User Profiles=>settings.

And you can now delete the User Profiles.

If any issue Reply .

Collapse -
reply to: old user profiles in documents and settings; how
by subhaschy / January 4, 2009 7:30 AM PST

TO get rid of two windows Folders.

1. open run diloag box. (start =>run)

2. type %WINDIR% .

3. see the path in address bar.

4 Here you can see the current windows directory in use.

5. Now you can delete the unused windows folder easily.

Collapse -
do i just simply delete
by dachshundlover / January 4, 2009 7:57 AM PST

just delete the files using the Delete key? windows2 was the directory that came up. Once i delete windows, will I need to rename windows2 to windows?

Collapse -
: do i just simply delete
by subhaschy / January 4, 2009 8:03 AM PST

just delete the directory windows using delete key.

No need to rename windows2 directory. (System will not allow you to do so).

Any issue just reply.

Subhash Chandra.
SUbhash.chandra16@gmail.com

Collapse -
I hit delete key and it did not delete
by dachshundlover / January 4, 2009 8:08 AM PST

No error messages or anything, it came up with the box like it was going to transfer to recycle bin, but it stopped really quick and nothing was deleted. Any other way?

Collapse -
also, will this affect the registry
by dachshundlover / January 4, 2009 8:03 AM PST

Do i need to do anything with the registry

Collapse -
no
by subhaschy / January 4, 2009 8:09 AM PST

Nothing you have to do with registry.

two folders with windows name created when you install Oprating system when an OS is already installed in the drive.

Windows simply rename the new windows directory and keep the previous as well in that you can find your old windows Documents And Settings and programe files also.

ITS not related to registry so nothing to play with it.

Collapse -
any errro messege.
by subhaschy / January 4, 2009 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: no

If any errro messege just mention or make sure that there are two windows directories.
Windows and windows2

Collapse -
was able to go in and manually delete all but
by dachshundlover / January 4, 2009 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: no

there are two folders I cannot delete. I have tried properites and changing the status from read only, etc.

folders are
_ISTMP1.DIR
WER5AC7.DIR00

They both contain files such as appcompat.txt that says I cannot delete.

Getting close, but now what>?
Thanks so much for all your help on this

Collapse -
to: was able to go in and manually delete all but
by subhaschy / January 4, 2009 8:34 AM PST

these are temp directories.

BOOT IN safe mode....and try deleting.
or try from command line.

cd c:\windows2\
erase /a *

still isses.let me know...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.