How To forum

Question

Old TV, new connections.

by _Windows_Man_ / February 27, 2013 7:24 AM PST

As of the moment I'm running Windows XP media-center edition on my laptop (HP Pavilion dv9000) that has a s-video port. My TV is an old Magnavox RR1333 C403, I don't have cable connected (it's not that I can't or don't have it, just that I prefer digital over the air channels) I run an Apex DT250A Converter through a VCR (it gives me more RF connections of which the are none integrated in the TV, just coax.). The converter has a smart antenna and s-video connection, what I want to know is will s-video run both ways(input/output) or just one way. And if both, will it fry my laptop or any of the other devices I mentioned?

PS: For those that know what a smart antenna is like, would it be worth getting?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old TV, new connections.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old TV, new connections.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
S video/conversion etc.
by pgc3 / February 27, 2013 10:56 PM PST

You could try what you have mentioned but you still may have issues. You didn't say what your TV has for hook ups, S video, VGA composite, etc. Also video aside, what about audio? Neither S Vid nor VGA carry audio. Some use a ROKU set up for similar purposes(with the internet) but it sounds unlikely that your TV is capable of doing such. The best hook up would require a total uprgrade of both L/T and TV utilizing HDMI hook ups that carry both audio and video signals, again a pretty heavy upgrade from what you are attempting to use.

Collapse -
Good point. Is there an adapter?
by _Windows_Man_ / February 28, 2013 4:29 AM PST

The VCR enables me to connect audio/video. I've got the audio covered though, I have an adapter that will run the audio from the head-phone port to the left/right RF audio input but is there any thing you can think of for video? . . . I may be going at this the wrong way, maybe I could run it all through the VCR . . . could I? And how?

Collapse -
Adapter
by pgc3 / February 28, 2013 11:01 PM PST

Maybe. There are such things as VGA to S video and/or VGA to composite. Composite is most commonly used in conjunction with TV /VCR hook ups, etc. It depends also on what types of hook ups you have on your TV. You said STREAMING so I am assuming the internet might be involved, if so it is very likely, as mentioned before, something will need to be upgraded, at least the TV.

Collapse -
OK then. . .
by _Windows_Man_ / March 1, 2013 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Adapter

I guess I won't bother its just an idea I had. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
old tv new connections
by ClarkNelson / March 5, 2013 11:37 AM PST
In reply to: OK then. . .

Don't give up--Since your LT has s-video out, then s-video to DAC, then if your vcr only has rca, connect the yellow video from your converter. If vcr has s-video--then use it. Coax from vcr to tv. See my first reply. Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
old tv new connections
by ClarkNelson / March 5, 2013 11:30 AM PST

You can do the connections, windows man, with what you have. All will be one way to the tv, or inputs. You can use the s-video and it will not hurt your computer--output is output. You must have a way to convert your video output from your computer to analog, either in the computer's DAC or use the DAC you have connected to the VCR. I assume your Apex converter has a rca (yellow) out for your vcr. The tv is not the main issue, it is making sure that you have an analog signal in video and audio to your vcr. Since you are using the headphone jack on the LT for audio, you can go directly to the vcr with your red and white connectors. Good luck, and do not forget that Thrift shops are now selling tv's with a variety of connector options starting at five bucks. RF adapters instead of the vcr are plentiful at thrift stores, and you do not have to have a power supply. Try Goodwill.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.