PC Hardware forum

Question

Old Gateway 2000 Computer

by PiersonRon / January 28, 2012 6:54 PM PST

I am looking for an old Gateway 2000 desktop computer, preferrably with Windows 98. MUST have a Telepath II (14,400) modem and the Faxworks program that came with the computer. Doesn't have to look great; just run so I can replay some old sentimental voicemails of a deceased family member. For what it's worth, the one I had was a Pentium 75 with about 64mbs of RAM and a 720 mb hard drive. Doesn't have to match those numbers necessarily. Any suggestions???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old Gateway 2000 Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old Gateway 2000 Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Where are these voicemails stored?
by Steven Haninger / January 29, 2012 4:18 AM PST

I need to wonder why you need a computer to play old voicemail messages. If you have them stored on some media, it would seem there could be other options.

Collapse -
Voice mail files
by PiersonRon / January 31, 2012 1:01 PM PST

Well, I would've thought so too since they are simple voice recordings, but so far I cannot find anything to play or convert the files That is my end goal; to convert the files to MP3 so they can copied onto a CD & played in any CD player. I have limited knowledge of such things but done a fair amount of research and can't seem to find another solution. At this point, it seems easiest to try & go back to the original setup with Windows 98 and Faxworks. I have the files on CD (along with an installed version of Faxworks) and also on my hard drive. Each .VMF file has a sister .CTL file. Two files with the same name, just different file extensions. Thanks for your interest!

Collapse -
I see you've posted this before
by Steven Haninger / January 31, 2012 8:58 PM PST
In reply to: Voice mail files

and were answered by one of the most knowledgeable people here. His advice was to do as you are asking here. About all I can find is a suggestion that something called "Iwave Media Player" can handle that format. It also seems that the extension isn't unique to the voice mail program mentioned. I've found plenty of hits using google to search for converter programs for that format but none seem like solid leads. My guess is that you may have already explored many of these sites already. I don't think I can offer much help here but thought knowing the file format might be useful. Good luck in your efforts anyway.

Collapse -
VMF files
by PiersonRon / February 1, 2012 1:05 AM PST

Do you have any leads on this Iwave Media Player? I think tried searching for that too, to no avail. It seems like a lot of hits on Google lead to nonexistant websites or have changed since the introduction of the inet wave player. However, someone, somewhere should have an archive of such things I would think they we we use data storage and archives. Thanks again for your interest. If you come accross anything that will help, please keep me in mind.
P.S. I think it was suggested to try a Google's virtual machine ( or virtual box??) or something to that effect. Is this something you'd agree could work?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
old gateway computer
by gingoss / May 14, 2012 10:55 AM PDT

I just bought a computer from a gentleman that lied to me.... he said it was 8 years old but it is older..and a 2000 because i found stuff on it that was from 2000..... not 2004.
Would you be interested? it is a dial up computer..remember those?
My email is gingoss@comcast.net
Please let me know/.......

Collapse -
Gateway 2000 Computer
by PiersonRon / May 14, 2012 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: old gateway computer

I may be interested if it has the right hardware/software. Can you be more specific about the computer. Does it have the Faxworks program and/or a Telepath II mo Piersondem. Please give me as much detail as possible including the price.

Thanks.
Ron Pierson

Collapse -
Answer
Still searching?
by Gusdmh / December 2, 2012 12:41 AM PST

I have one. Are you all set?
Gus

Collapse -
Modem?
by Gusdmh / December 2, 2012 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: Still searching?

Sorry. Re-read the post. I think I have the 56k modem. Let me know.

Collapse -
Answer
I can decode and convert .vmf files from FaxWorks Voice
by nedbarth / January 3, 2014 5:41 AM PST

I used to own an IBM ThinkPad 701c, which also came with FaxWorks Voice. I don't have the machine anymore, but I have, as you do, a bunch of old recorded .vmf files which I wanted to be able to play. After much research and experimentation, I have found a solution. It might not be optimal, that is, I might not be using the exact same codec/algorithm which was used in FaxWorks, but the result is an intelligible (if somewhat noisy) recording which allows you to understand everything the person is saying and also recognize his or her voice. If you are interested and see this reply, send me an e-mail with a .vmf file or two and I will return them to you converted, then if you like the results, I'll do them all for you. I'd be happy if my efforts could also help someone else out who until now didn't know what to do with these old files! Either reply to this forum or directly to me at nedbarth(at)aol(dot)com.

Collapse -
Beside google for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2014 5:43 AM PST

VLC PLAYER continues to be the most adept at odd formats. Post an example on your public dropbox if you can't test this.
Bob

Collapse -
Please reread my post, Bob
by nedbarth / January 3, 2014 7:59 AM PST

I was not asking for help, but offering it. That's why the title says "can" and not "can't". I was also replying to the original poster, PiersonRon.

Please don't answer this post if you have nothing else to add. Thank you!

Collapse -
Meant to offer a way for others.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2014 8:02 AM PST

Many have these and need a way to convert or play their private recordings. Would you have a way to do this and maintain their privacy?
Bob

Collapse -
It was two years ago
by James Denison / January 3, 2014 12:25 PM PST

either it's solved already, or he's long given up.

Collapse -
Answer
I have an old Gateway 2000 desktop computer
by wak53066 / January 7, 2014 12:45 AM PST

I have an old Gateway 2000 desktop computer that I want to get rid of. I pulled the hard drive out but have all the restore CD-Roms for windows 98, etc... Contact me if interested. Wendy 414-334-0116.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.