Computer Help

Question

Old computer - can I give it wifi?

by Tylula / September 14, 2011 10:09 AM PDT

This is probably a weir question but.....
We bought an OLD computer from someone (so my kids could play games on it). it's from 2001 (even has a floppy disk drive!)
I asked if it had internet - she said yes.
mmm - it has dial up - but since this is no longer 2001 I do not have dial up - I have wi fi.
Is there any way to make this old thing wi-fi accessible? I have a wi-fi stick from my old computer .... and I have a new laptop that has wifi built in.
Thoughts???
Thanks =) Tylula

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old computer - can I give it wifi?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old computer - can I give it wifi?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Probably
by Jimmy Greystone / September 14, 2011 11:08 AM PDT

Probably, using some kind of USB wifi adapter. It will be finicky on the best of days, and performance will probably suck when it is working, but it might be passable for basic web browsing and email. If it were me, I'd just buy the cheapest thing I could find, because it's not worth sinking a lot of time and/or money into this.

Collapse -
Answer
Yes, very likely
by Willy / September 14, 2011 12:04 PM PDT

If old PC has an open PCI slot you can mount a wifi PCI card. You will then need to connect to some wifi connection and get on the WWW if that was the plan. If your other old PC has that stick available and the s/w plus drivers to mount it in your new old PC, then do that. You gave few clues and/or details of what actually you have. if you understand my reply, then act on it. good luck

Collapse -
(NT) more info
by Tylula / September 15, 2011 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, very likely
Collapse -
Re: more info
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 15, 2011 5:42 PM PDT
In reply to: more info

What you forgot to tell: the OS. If that isn't Windows XP, I'd forget all. I don't think you can buy any WiFi equipment that still comes with drivers for Windows ME.

Even an Ethernet card for wired access might be a problem on Windows ME.

Kees

Collapse -
Some checks
by Willy / September 15, 2011 8:07 PM PDT
In reply to: more info

I know very little about your actual PC and all the details, OS, current ram, installed s/w and/or if any past wifi. You are there and thus need to provide what's what as best as possible. A "stick" tells nothing. I don't even know if you have USB ports. Your last reply for "more info" thus relies on your input to continue. Check the decals, labels, etc. and report back what you have and open case to tell what that stick is. If at all possible provide some pix and open link to them to share with us what pix vs. words may explain better.

Collapse -
more info - hope it works this time...
by Tylula / September 16, 2011 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Some checks

LOL - sorry, I didn't just write 'more info' - I wrote a whole paragraph after that - don't know why it didn't show up....
It has Windows ME >O And yes it has a usb port
he 'stick' I have is a netgear 54 mbps wireless usb -- and then I have the router etc as I had wifi on my omputer before it broke and the laptop I am typing on right now has wifi --- we have satelite out here in he country.
I'm not feeling very hopeful about this though because when I try do do the internet wizard it only gives me an option for a phone line.....
Thank you for continueing to deal with my 'noob-ness'

Collapse -
I see...
by Willy / September 17, 2011 3:24 AM PDT

Since, you're running ME, that alone make things difficult. Any newer wifi card or USB based one may not allow an easy install as it were. Of course, an older wifi setup should be capable or allow itself to install. All this because ME is no longer supported by newer wifi setups. The wifi install s/w would do all the work for ya as it gets installed, etc. under ME if applicable. So, you maybe beating a dead horse here.

Collapse -
Answer
SHould be OK
by Zouch / September 16, 2011 11:37 PM PDT

Depending what Netgear G USB adapter you have, it should work. The WG111, for example supports Win 98SE and ME. You might need to download a driver and or support utility for WinME from the Netgear site or the installer but when I had WinME, it was closer to XP at finding drivers than to Win98SE (Disclaimer - I had the UK version of Windows ME, which did not seem to have the problems that the US one had - ask most people what they thought of ME and they'll likely say worst ever operating system bar none. Not my experience). It certainly won't do any harm to plug the stick into the USB port and see what it says.

Collapse -
THANKS
by Tylula / September 18, 2011 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: SHould be OK

Thanks so much everyone - especially for putting up with my green questions. Off to try a few different things =)
Ty

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.